Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:32:49 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bush's Toothless Climate Plan « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Bush's Toothless Climate Plan  (Read 55064 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »

I'd miss the political debates, because they are stimulating, and there are some intelligent people on the board with interesting points of view. But with any of these, it just takes one individual with a rigid political stance and a big ego to gum up any kind of exchange of viewpoints. And lately, we've had some loaded subjects posted that were clearly intended to bait people.

This is, first and foremost, a pop-culture board. If the political threads are interfering with the smooth running of it and driving away the regulars, I guess they have to go (the political topics, that is). But again, I will miss them.

Of course, we could also just individually resolve not to get sucked into these fights.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:50:55 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »

Of course, we could also just individually resolve not to get sucked into these fights.

Agreed.

Individually, we can choose not to click the links to the threads we don't want to participate in.  I manage this in doses.  So, I don't really understand how any thread's content can drive anyone off.  The debates and discussions, MOSTLY civil and very respectful, have remained localized in the OT Discussion boards.  It's not that hard to just ignore those threads if reading them is not your bag.

Perhaps a middle ground might be some kind of ignore feature.  Some forums, like Slashdot, are set up where you can select in your profile those boards/topics you don't even want to see on the screen.  I wonder if SMF has an add-in for that, or how hard it would be to code one?

For what it's worth, there is not one single person on this board that I don't consider a friend in some way.    For my part, I hold absolutely no grudge for someone, anyone, just because we disagree on something.  I like discussing things with people who don't agree with me - from that comes learning; it forces me to examine my own perspectives and possibly change them.  That does not mean I am going to agree with everything and everyone all the time.  I think that is impossible anyway.

In the final analysis, I think most of us "regulars" are here to make connections with others of similar, but not transcendentally identical, interests.  Bad Movies brings us here, and once here, we want to learn more about the others that share this interest.  I think part of that is natural.   One way we learn about others, our friends, is to push each other's buttons occasionally.

So, who's up for a good flame-war on which Episode of STAR WARS is the best?   Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »

Agreed.

Individually, we can choose not to click the links to the threads we don't want to participate in.  I manage this in doses.  So, I don't really understand how any thread's content can drive anyone off.  The debates and discussions, MOSTLY civil and very respectful, have remained localized in the OT Discussion boards.  It's not that hard to just ignore those threads if reading them is not your bag.

Perhaps a middle ground might be some kind of ignore feature.  Some forums, like Slashdot, are set up where you can select in your profile those boards/topics you don't even want to see on the screen.  I wonder if SMF has an add-in for that, or how hard it would be to code one?

For what it's worth, there is not one single person on this board that I don't consider a friend in some way.    For my part, I hold absolutely no grudge for someone, anyone, just because we disagree on something.  I like discussing things with people who don't agree with me - from that comes learning; it forces me to examine my own perspectives and possibly change them.  That does not mean I am going to agree with everything and everyone all the time.  I think that is impossible anyway.

In the final analysis, I think most of us "regulars" are here to make connections with others of similar, but not transcendentally identical, interests.  Bad Movies brings us here, and once here, we want to learn more about the others that share this interest.  I think part of that is natural.   One way we learn about others, our friends, is to push each other's buttons occasionally.

So, who's up for a good flame-war on which Episode of STAR WARS is the best?   Wink

Amen brother, if you don't like the topic then don't click the link. To ban something just because a few people don't like it, well that's a debate unto itself.

Karma Ulthar contrary to popular belief I agree with you. Wink

Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2008, 04:23:49 PM »

Nobody is forcing anyone to read the threads here.

That being said, if someone is taking things said here or on other message boards too seriously, it is time to go for a walk.  Get some fresh air.  The internet is not serious business.  Holding grudges based on political affiliations is ultimately self-destructive, especially in an environment like this one with a wealth of different viewpoints.  Just because I agree with Lester 1/2 on absolutely nothing politically doesn't mean I don't respect the fact he has a great knowledge of weird films from around the globe.  I also like the fact he sticks with his opinions even when everyone else disagrees, because they still make perfect sense in his ideological framework.  And similar statements can be said of everyone else here.  No one here brings nothing to the table, even the posters who just ask a question about identifying a movie and disappearing forever bring discussion and help people discover new films they may not know about.  With the current Democratic campaign becoming increasingly divisive and probably foreshadowing an even nastier 2008 presidential election thanks to economic unrest and food shortages, political threads here and everywhere will constantly be in danger of turning sour.  Even neutral issues run the danger of getting sucked up in the chaos.  But if the worst thing in your life is some dude on the internet disagrees with you, then things are going pretty good.  Sometimes you just need to remember there is a whole world of terrible films out there just waiting to be watched, with more arriving every day.  I don't think we should ban the political threads, but we should be aware of the amount of them so they don't spiral out of control and take up too much of the off-topic forums.

And the best Star Wars is clearly Caravan of Courage. Thumbup

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »

But if the worst thing in your life is some dude on the internet disagrees with you, then things are going pretty good.

Well said.

Karma for that!!

(I'll give you another after the 6-hour wait for the lively, and to me at least, welcome discourse we've had in this thread).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »

I'll second that KARMA and add one too. Just because at time folks don't agree doesn't mean they can't get along ... cripes of that was the case I'd never been able to be married 20 years. It's our differences that makes us interesting or boring which ever the case.

However, there is nothing more boring in my opinion than a bunch of people setting around agree with each other on everything, don't you agree? TongueOut

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 07:08:41 PM »

Actually, this debate is pretty tame compared to some I have read on other boards.  My philosophy is, if you don't like the topic, don't read the thread.  Heck, I reviewed to absolutely AWFUL B-movies on here last weekend and neither one has garnered a single reply that I can see . . . . but the political stuff goes on for pages and pages.  That speaks volumes as to what people enjoy talking about.  I hate to see anyone leave a forum, especially one that is this much doggone fun.  No one here is threatening bodily harm to anyone else, we just have very strong and diverse opinions . . . which is part of what makes this such a great community.

Don't bail on us, guys!!! Just stay away from Off Topic Discussions if you don't like them!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »

On Global Warming, global cooling, and other "Manbearpig" stuff:

I think I'm just going to wait and see if the two happen at the same time and cancel each other out. However, in case they DO occur at different times, well gosh durn it I've got a cottage in Hawaii and a vault in Antartica, and will hunker down in one of 'em for the long haul with more cans of pork 'n beans, Twinkies, and copies of "Hustler" than you can give two s--ts about!

Er, okay, the truth is I'm terribly non-informed and have nothing intelligent to add...*cough*

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »

...I think I'm done with this thread. Heck, I may be done with the whole board.  There are forums (fora?) out there where people can disagree without being disagreeable, but that doesn't seem to have trickled down to many of the most active members here.
I don't understand that comment... "many of the most active members?"  Did I miss something?  We all have "disagreeable" moments, particularly when embattled.  Nonetheless, I'd dare say that there is a CONSENSUS among this site's members that this board is not only tolerant but friendly.  Though TarsTarkas may have made a few snied swipes, that doesn't mean he did not receive sarcastic slaps in return.  As Menard had said somewhere, and I paraphrase: I defy you to find a more agreeable forum to visit.  Sorry Nathan, but I knock your karma for knocking the board.  Thumbdown 

...And lately, we've had some loaded subjects posted that were clearly intended to bait people.
Hey, I started this thread because I found the news item interesting.  It is up to each and everyone of you whether to participate in any discussion, political or otherwise.  It was not my intention to "bait." 

This is, first and foremost, a pop-culture board. If the political threads are interfering with the smooth running of it and driving away the regulars, I guess they have to go (the political topics, that is). But again, I will miss them.

You will note that I have not voiced any opinion on this topic and have not participated in this political debate.  I learned my lesson months ago.  I don't have time for political debate, particularly on a forum.  It's not fun

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bush's Toothless Climate Plan « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.