Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:20:04 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bush's Toothless Climate Plan « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Bush's Toothless Climate Plan  (Read 55063 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: April 20, 2008, 01:48:39 PM »

Bush's Toothless Climate Plan

President George W. Bush stood in the White House's Rose Garden this afternoon, and delivered his strategy for saving the world from climate change. Central was a new goal of stopping the growth of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by 2025, through a mix of incentives for lower-carbon power and better energy efficiency, especially for utilities. It wouldn't be a bad plan — if it were the year 2000 and this was candidate George W. Bush speaking on the presidential campaign trail. As it stands, Bush's new climate change policy — though no new specific initiatives were announced, aside from the 2025 goal — is too little, too slow, too late... 

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1731550,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-healthsci

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »

It's obvious that he just plain doesn't give a damn. What? He said one thing and did another right after election? Impossible!

I count the days until he's out :-| I'd say what I really thought about his take on the planet's condition but I might offend quite a number of people, I've no doubt about that.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:49:40 AM »

OH NO, so now climate change is George Bush fault too, got it!

The science behind global climate change is questionable at best and there are as many professionals that degree with it, but the lemming and the chicken littles think that government needs to be more of a PARENT than a BUSINESS ... I for one do not need the government telling me what kind of light bulb to use, what mileage to get in my truck, what water heater to use, where to set me thermostat, what I should drive ... geez ... this winter we had record cold, record snow fall through out the upper midwest, I guess that is because of global warming too.

Here is a little news for you, the more you let the government intrude into your life and the more control you allow them to take ... the more they will take and it is highly likely they will never give it up. I for one am stocking up on incandescent light bulbs, because compact fluorescents are a bigger health hazard then incandescent ever could be, the CFL's contain high levels of mercury. In California, it's already illegal to throw them away. If one breaks and the authorities find out, the costs of biohazard cleanup are enormous. It has also be shown that they cause in some people migraines and seizure ... what are they to do live in the dark or get a prescription for incandescent bulbs.

It's just ridiculous ... ok go ahead fire away, I'm armed with knowledge. 

Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »

Bush's toothless plan (which won't pass so don't worry) is just designed to try to take the wind out of the real climate change measures that were being prepared.  It is the last gasp of a lame duck, who will go down in history as the worst president since James Buchanan sat on his but as the nation disintegrated.  Now Bush is doing it at a global scale, but his time is limited and Obama will have another mess to clean up.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »

the more you let the government intrude into your life and the more control you allow them to take ... the more they will take and it is highly likely they will never give it up.

I am not going to become embroiled in a climate change debate here, but I would like to offer the following observation (by someone else) on the issue of government intrusion into our lives.

Davit's Take on Freedom in the USA

To me, the loudest part of his message was the idea that from within, you just cannot see how overbearing our government is.  Once you step outside, many things become clear.  We went on a trip in the early 90's that was only one week outside the USA, and we noticed it then.

The Nanny State has got to go.  That's my two cents.

[Bush] will go down in history as the worst president since James Buchanan

Wow.  I think you need to re-read a little history there.  Wartime presidents rarely are known as 'bad' when history looks back, no matter how popular they are or are not at the time.

Nice try, though, to sell Bush hating with a little Appeal to Popular Argument.  I get YOU hate Bush, but that does not mean that on an objective scale, he is "the worst" or even "bad."  Time will tell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »

Well, there's always this: http://hnn.us/articles/48916.html

ulthar

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 11:33:56 AM »

Well, there's always this: http://hnn.us/articles/48916.html

Contemporary historians voting about something they are living through is not historical analysis.

As I said...time will tell. Give it 50 or 100 years, when the generation who lived through the events (with all the emotion that entails) are no longer proselytizing, and then an objective historical analysis can be done.

Oh, and by the way.  That sample size on that "survey" is extremely small.  109?  Surely they could have found more historians to survey than that.  Hmmmm. What if they small sample size was a close circle of acquaintance who pretty much knew the voting results?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:38:36 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »

I guess those historians need to read more history.

ulthar

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:05:22 PM »

Perhaps what they need to do is to conduct proper research, not write an article based upon an informal web poll conducted among the readers of their own biased web site.  Even if such an article does include pretty pictures that seem to tell the story they want to tell, it is not valid research.

Edit:

I'd like to modify my stance just a little bit.  I don't think the hnn.us web site itself has baised readership, but those who participated in this poll certainly do NOT represent the readership of that site in a statistically meaningful way.

This discussion page shows that it is clearly NOT 98% 'against' Bush as the article suggests.

I do, however, stick by my assertion that a web poll is not research. I think the discussion page supports that assertion.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:19:33 PM by ulthar » Logged

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 12:57:07 PM »

I don't know which is worse, the Bush bashers or the Bush apologists.   The guy is  one of the biggest lunk heads that ever sat in the oval office.  He gets something right occasionally (tax cuts), but the war in Iraq is going to be his greatest legacy however it turns out (there won't be a victory in it for anyone).  It has nothing to do with "The War on Terror". That's something that will be fought by intelligence agencies and police, not troops. 

As far as climate change, you'd have to pretty damn stupid not to see it's happening right now (the earth goes through natural climate cycles every few thousand years). The only debatable part is what influence man has on it and that's probably not much.  It doesn't help anyone for both sides in this to be politicizing it.     

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 05:21:16 PM »

I think the Global Warming . . . . I mean, oops, Climate Change (they've changed the usage as global temperatures began ticking back down two years ago!) is the Y2K of the 21st Century . . . just one more fear tactic for politicians and statists to use in order to justify taking away one more little chunk of our constitutional liberties.  If Al Gore had been elected President 8 years ago, he would have trashed our economy, destroyed our global competitiveness, and done his best to erase most of the gains of the industrial revolution in the name of fighting this "crisis" . . . . and most likely, global temperatures would have done what they have done in the last 8 years anyway. 

As far as Bush goes, history will indeed judge him, and no one knows what that judgement will be.  I would like to point out that a certain man from Missouri left the White House in 1953 with a 27% approval rating . . . and is now considered the second greatest President of the 20th century, behind only FDR.  On the other hand, when Warren died in office in 1923, he was loved by most Americans as an affable, fatherly figure in the White House . . . and he is now ranked as one of the worst Presidents of all time.  Point?  Contemporary judgements of an American President are rarely an accurate barometer of how history will judge that person.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »

I think the Global Warming . . . . I mean, oops, Climate Change (they've changed the usage as global temperatures began ticking back down two years ago!) is the Y2K of the 21st Century . . . just one more fear tactic for politicians and statists to use in order to justify taking away one more little chunk of our constitutional liberties.  If Al Gore had been elected President 8 years ago, he would have trashed our economy, destroyed our global competitiveness, and done his best to erase most of the gains of the industrial revolution in the name of fighting this "crisis" . . . . and most likely, global temperatures would have done what they have done in the last 8 years anyway. 

As far as Bush goes, history will indeed judge him, and no one knows what that judgement will be.  I would like to point out that a certain man from Missouri left the White House in 1953 with a 27% approval rating . . . and is now considered the second greatest President of the 20th century, behind only FDR.  On the other hand, when Warren died in office in 1923, he was loved by most Americans as an affable, fatherly figure in the White House . . . and he is now ranked as one of the worst Presidents of all time.  Point?  Contemporary judgements of an American President are rarely an accurate barometer of how history will judge that person.

Don't forget that other President who started a war, got low popularity ratings, was characterized widely by his critics as a country bumpkin... and got shot at Ford's Theatre midway through his second term.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 05:55:03 PM »

I love it when I hear Bush is the worst president EVER ... nothing I can add that hasn't been artfully said already. History will prove out his standing ... however as far as contemporary presidents go I'm guess people have forgotten the "misery index" and the double digit inflation, double digit interest rates and bang up job in Iran accomplished by the still meddling Jimmy "The Peanut" Carter? The only thing that man has to be proud of is the fact he wasn't reelected. (Perhaps he's proud of his brother's beer too?)
There are members in congress that want to revoke his passport, I said do it while he is out of the country.

Now excuse me, I must go turn up the A/C this global warming is killing me.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 05:58:13 PM »

karma for that one, Nate!!!  

A few years ago, I remarked offhandedly in a history lecture that while Lincoln was generally rated as America's best President, I personally thought Teddy Roosevelt was the coolest president.  A new student to our school, a junior, stayed after class and asked me how on earth I could possibly think Lincoln was a great man.  I raised an eyebrow at this, and she launched into this long harangue about how evil, cruel, sacreligious, vain, and hypocritical Lincoln was.  I  asked her where she got her information, and the next day she brought a book entitiled THE REAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN, authored by a former Confederate colonel in the 1890's.  It was full of poisonous, pro-slavery, pro-Southern propaganda, including many long-discredited stories about Lincoln and dozens of cherrypicked negative quotes from his contemporaries.

Suffice it to say, if a book starts out with THE REAL (insert name here), it likely is going to be a slash job.

Speaking of slash jobs, isn't Oliver Stone making a movie about George W.??

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 06:29:32 PM »

Perhaps what they need to do is to conduct proper research, not write an article based upon an informal web poll conducted among the readers of their own biased web site.  Even if such an article does include pretty pictures that seem to tell the story they want to tell, it is not valid research.

Of course they could do valid research, but it would just be condemned as communist like the Global Warming science was in this very thread.  Keep fighting those Commies, guys, one day the USSR will fall! 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bush's Toothless Climate Plan « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.