Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:59:03 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  New Sport (Visting A Martial Arts School) « previous next »
Poll
Question: Sport of the future?
It looks great - 0 (0%)
It has potential - 1 (16.7%)
It's a dud - 1 (16.7%)
What was that? - 2 (33.3%)
No way - 2 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Sport (Visting A Martial Arts School)  (Read 6445 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: April 20, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »

Been playing around with new sport idea's since 1985. Picture this concept played on a trampoline with 5 foot cushioned platforms surrounding it. It's unlimited in concept, but still experimenting. Put in a patent application for it in 2001. We were playing around with it today at the gym and took some video. In stead of using the hand held band a long pole would be held by the defence which is used as the scoring device.

Small | Large

It could even be used in someones next sci-fi film if they needed a new sport concept in the story background of their film or as a backdrop to a scene in some futuristic film.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:23:42 PM by Conan » Logged

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 11:34:57 PM »

Explain the rules?

Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:20:02 AM »

Rules are determined before starting. The rules can change according to how you like to play. Basically the rules go like this:

1. Points are scored by making contact with the scoring device held by two defenders.

2. Contact is made with hands or feet. Feet being more difficult and awarded more points.

3. Points can also be made by going over or under the scoring device without being touched.

4. After scoring you return to the starting line at edge of playing surface.

5. It can be played in rounds like boxing. One minute rounds are sufficient. Then you change sides.

6. It can be played with teams. Two offensive players and two defensive players. Usually on each side of the scoring device.

7. Defensive players can move scoring device to prevent scoring.

8. Player or team with the most points in a given amount of time wins.

You can imagine from the video. Picture the sport with a pole as the scoring device played on a trampoline.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:27:26 AM by Conan » Logged

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:20:33 AM »

I voted "What was that?" I think this is a "you have to be there" kinda thing.  Good luck with it Sco...er.. Conan.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:29:15 AM »

Looks like a fun game for kids on the playground, but I don't think we'll be seeing it on ESPN anytime soon  Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »

Remember the movie "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story"?

Your sport could be on ESPN 8 "The Ocho"!

"If it's almost a sport...we've got it here!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could also check out The Top Ten Obscure Sports In the World.

Personally, I thought this weird sport was the best.   TeddyR
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:18:23 AM by Ash » Logged
Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 10:02:50 PM »

I voted "What was that?" I think this is a "you have to be there" kinda thing.  Good luck with it Sco...er.. Conan.

Fair enough. It gets more dynamic when you have two offensive players scoring from both sides, a time keeper, a referee. Add to this the concept of the of the pole, trampoline, and surrounding five foot wide and three foot high cushioned platform you start to get the picture. 

Looks like a fun game for kids on the playground, but I don't think we'll be seeing it on ESPN anytime soon  Smile

Actually this is how it may start as a children's game till you add the idea of leagues, championships, money, and all the nuances that are revealed while experimenting.

Remember the movie "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story"?

Your sport could be on ESPN 8 "The Ocho"!

"If it's almost a sport...we've got it here!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could also check out The Top Ten Obscure Sports In the World.

Personally, I thought this weird sport was the best.   TeddyR

Love it.......Thanks for the links Ash. Extreme Ironing is my pick. It's kinda like something from a Monty Python skit. The Rock Paper Scissors League close behind. By the way why do the participants in the Rock Paper Scissors League have to go shirtless? Must be one of the rules. 

BounceGiggle

Dodgeball and Kickball where some of my favorites.

Other sports started out strange. Look at Basketball some Canadian guy living in Massachusetts decided putting a ball in a fruit basket would be fun. Look at what developed in Baseball. The pitcher use to serve the ball slow pitch to the batter to simply put the ball in play then they got the bright idea that the pitcher would attempt to make it hard for the batter to hit the ball and call strikes which revolutionized the game.

Two guys in Chicago use to run dance hall marathons were the participants (couples) would win prize money for who ever could remain dancing the longest. Later roller skates became popular and the same two guys thought about putting the dance concept on roller skates and make them go around a circle track to see who could roller skate the longest. Later noticed the concept of shoving and pushing that was going on and then came the Roller Derby. The final idea was drafted on a napkin while the two promoters had dinner. It shows the oval track and all.

Small | Large

There are other more expansive ideas around this video clip that I keep to myself in the case that it developes into something of interest one day. Different levels of the same general elements. What you have seen are the crude basics, but thanks for all your comments.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:07:32 PM by Conan » Logged

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 08:04:41 AM »

I never watched roller derby for the "sport" aspect of it  TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:06:43 AM »

Roller Derby!
Small | Large

The main chick in this video (Cherry Rollins) is smokin' hot! 
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »

Roller Jam  TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

Small | Large

Sorry, kind of getting off topic  TeddyR
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:17:02 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 11:59:13 PM »

Made and additional video with diagrams of the scoring devices, playings surfaces, and methods of play.

Small | Large

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:57:48 PM »

I could picture this being very fun to play or watch (if on those trampolines) especially if you have some really agile people playing.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Scott

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 10:06:32 PM »

I could picture this being very fun to play or watch (if on those trampolines) especially if you have some really agile people playing.

Thanks, I have let this sport/game go so many times now, but the concepts keep coming back to me years later. The patent application is at the moment considered "abandoned" by the U.S. patent office since I needed to spend more money to resubmit the claim back in 2002. They want it so legal now days that you can't submit your own patents anymore like a Franklin or Edison did without the use of a patent lawyer and the fact that the sport is so nebulous that variations can spring up easily, but since I'm the originator of the basic concepts I would just like to see it come about even if I can't obtain a 17 year monopoly on the activity. They said I can reclaim it anytime with the help of a patent lawyer, but right now I'm not interested in doing the paper work.

Later this week I might be showing a new video of this sport being played with two offensive players using the pole instead of what was used in the previous gym video. Also on the upcoming video I'm going to show you and anyone interested how they can make their own scoring device with sliding part and buffers for under $10 using plastic PVC plumbing pipes. I'll be sending the videos to a bunch of outlets like sports promoters, Nintendo, Sony, filmmakers, gyms, gymnastic schools, ESPN, martial arts schools, and others offering them more info and league memberships. If it becomes anything later I'll attempt to reclaim my patent. Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. Consider this just chatter for now. We'll also be doing more time trials and scoring experiments that will optimize the interest for both players and audiences.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:09:28 PM by Conan » Logged

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »

Thanks, I have let this sport/game go so many times now, but the concepts keep coming back to me years later. The patent application is at the moment considered "abandoned" by the U.S. patent office since I needed to spend more money to resubmit the claim back in 2002. They want it so legal now days that you can't submit your own patents anymore like a Franklin or Edison did without the use of a patent lawyer and the fact that the sport is so nebulous that variations can spring up easily, but since I'm the originator of the basic concepts I would just like to see it come about even if I can't obtain a 17 year monopoly on the activity. They said I can reclaim it anytime with the help of a patent lawyer, but right now I'm not interested in doing the paper work.

Later this week I might be showing a new video of this sport being played with two offensive players using the pole instead of what was used in the previous gym video. Also on the upcoming video I'm going to show you and anyone interested how they can make their own scoring device with sliding part and buffers for under $10 using plastic PVC plumbing pipes. I'll be sending the videos to a bunch of outlets like sports promoters, Nintendo, Sony, filmmakers, gyms, gymnastic schools, ESPN, martial arts schools, and others offering them more info and league memberships. If it becomes anything later I'll attempt to reclaim my patent. Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. Consider this just chatter for now. We'll also be doing more time trials and scoring experiments that will optimize the interest for both players and audiences.

Well good luck, I hope to see this on T.V. one day.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 07:56:23 PM »

Here's a video on how you can construct your own scoring device for the New Sport for under $10.

Small | Large

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  New Sport (Visting A Martial Arts School) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.