Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:25:23 PM
714348 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What Industry Do You Work In? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What Industry Do You Work In?  (Read 15029 times)
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 02:01:33 PM »

I'm a reference librarian in a law school.

I only moonlight as a schmuck.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »

I'm only a schmuck because I could be so much more in my life, yet I'm too lazy to pull my finger out and apply myself to a career.  So I sit here like schlub every day plugging away at data entry for idiots who get themselves into too much debt for a home.

I'm so jaded I don't even know what I'd like to do instead.  I don't think I ever had any huge dreams as a kid.  It would be so much easier if I had a goal.  I'm good at working towards goals.  But if you have no goal to start with, what then?

My whole philosophy these days is "it's not worth it."  A terrible state of affairs, I know.  But I have trouble remembering what real motivation feels like.

I wasn't really motivated to become a lawyer per se.  I was working as a paralegal and I saw guys who were not as smart as me making more money and doing less busywork.  So, if you have no great desire to pursue any particular career path, you can always do what I did: if you think your boss has it better than you, find out what it takes to get their job and then pursue that track. 

Of course, it's fine if you don't want the extra money and don't mind the work you're currently doing, or you don't want the extra hassle.  It's possible that you're not motivated to pursue a career because you realize it wouldn't bring you anything special that you don't already have.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 08:20:23 PM »

My thanks to everyone who've given me words of encouragement.  You've all given me a lot to think about, that's for sure.

I think for me it's just a matter of not really wanting any responsibility.  I had heaps of it growing up and I'm just tired of it.  So instead of rebelling when I was a teenager, I'm doing it now in my 40s  *lol*

I like the idea of heaps of money but the working towards it all is just not appealing.  I've seen people who dedicate their whole lives to their careers and that's all they have.  I never really wanted that for myself.

My 42nd birthday is approaching fast (next Friday) and I always go through a bit of an identity crisis for a few days.  Strange, considering each birthday is just a number to me, or at least, that's what I tell myself.

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's "Night Watch" book right now and I love the fact that the University's librarian is an orangutan.  I'd love to work in library (on good money of course), but without the prospect of having to turn into an orangutan   TeddyR

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »

Oh, Ulthar -- let me just say, for anyone else who felt the same way I did -- pchem!   oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

LOL...are you trying to say PChem is the Manos of Chemistry?   BounceGiggle

Troll 2 reference actually.    "He's taken pchem!  And now pchem is gonna take me, too!  Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"   TeddyR
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »

Due to lack of planning I am an estimator/order writer for a wholesale custom wood window, door and mill work company, I also do shop drawings for orders, don't have CAD so I do these the old fashioned way with a T-square, scale, compass and pencil. I recently expressed an interest in learning about the glass products we use so now when our glass guy is on vacation or off for a couple days I get to do the glass ordering too. Thanks to talking about Badmovies.org and this forum I also get to respond to all the email inquiries that come into the company website. Last year I couldn't even spell schmuck, now sometime I are one.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
raj

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's "Night Watch" book right now and I love the fact that the University's librarian is an orangutan.  I'd love to work in library (on good money of course), but without the prospect of having to turn into an orangutan   TeddyR

Some of us are baboon, others chimps.  And while there is no good money, we do get bananas.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 04:06:47 PM »

Does it count to be a schmuck because you have a lot of education, but still like nothing so much as playing a game based in ASCII, or else watching incredibly horrible movies... and because you watch the Starcraft 2 page for updates obsessively, several times a day?    Or does that just make me a geek or a nerd?

It says something that I find it hard to imagine a physician doing that. There aren't many professions left that are as revered. I call my boss by his first name, but never my doctor. I'm just intimidated by the profession. The irony is that my sister is a doctor and I'm still awed.

Still, I suppose it's natural to be intimidated by the only guy on earth who can stick his finger up your rear end with no questions asked.

And I have to admit I was nervous around clergy until I married one  TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »

And I have to admit I was nervous around clergy until I married one  TeddyR

AndyC, I warned you that no one must ever know of our forbidden love!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JJ80
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2008, 03:48:51 PM »

I work as a Production Journalist at the Horse Racing desk of a major Scottish newspaper. And no, I don't know who's going to win the Kentucky Derby!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »

I work as a Production Journalist at the Horse Racing desk of a major Scottish newspaper. And no, I don't know who's going to win the Kentucky Derby!

Being from Kentucky I do know and I get it right every year ... do you want to know?

Race Spoiler follows ...

It's the horse that comes in first. Bet on it. TongueOut

JJ80
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »

Thumbup TeddyR Smile
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 07:40:48 AM »

I guess you would say that I'm in IT, although that's not what we called it when I started in the business 29 years ago. I work for the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service, so I guess you could say I'm also in higher ed.

I manage the Tech Support Call Center and I spec out all the hardware we buy, I also have to come up with solutions for problems or needs that come up in our department. I also support our WAN since we have 80 field offices.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »

Some of us are baboon, others chimps.  And while there is no good money, we do get bananas.

The Librarian also enjoys a trip to the local tavern for a glass or two accompanied by some peanuts from time to time....

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »

The Librarian also enjoys a trip to the local tavern for a glass or two accompanied by some peanuts from time to time....

OOOOK!
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
peter johnson

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:02 PM »

I work in the Leasing Industry as a Portfolio Administrator --

If you want to lease a b-load of computer equipment & TVs for your hotel chain, I'm the guy who's going to be putting all the documentation together for that, hoping it passes legal muster.  Then, once in place, I monitor your account with us, making sure the insurance is current, etc.

I actually love what I do -- Go figure . . .

Most of you also know I have ongoing showbiz aspirations as well, and have made money (and continue to make money!) as a B-movie actor, radio actor, voice talent, narrator, print model(?!), stage actor, standup comic, sketch comic, skit writer, commercial actor, instructional/industrial film actor, and whatever else there is to do around showbiz in general.

peter johnson/denny hire me!!!

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What Industry Do You Work In? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.