Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:35:56 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Land that Time Forgot « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Land that Time Forgot  (Read 49334 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 21, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »

In honor of Earth Day, I present you with a film that contains Germans and dinosaurs.  If that does not make you want to recycle, I do not know what will.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
H.W.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:18:18 AM »

Granted, the film is based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel and the writer's heroes were always men of exceptional talents, but, by God, those were men.

Hey they're German!   Wink 
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:23:59 AM »

Man, fond memories of this film. When I was a kid and my grandparents were the only people I knew who had cable, I'd keep my fingers crossed that this would be on TBS whenever I spent the weekend with them. Great review Mr. B!  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
wtffilm
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 04:00:19 PM »

Thanks to technical issues or just plain bad luck, I missed this one every time it played on TBS (but almost always managed to catch At The Earth's Core, The Last Dinosaur, and The People That Time Forgot, oddly enough).  Luckily our run-down hometown video store was there to set things right with the old Video Treasures VHS.

Kindest regards,

Kevin P.
http://www.wtf-film.com
Greenhornet
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »

Lost world movies have a special place in my heart and I saw this one in the "Thuderbird drive-in" (Remember those?).
One thing you forgot to mention was that they killed the "big crocodile" with a WWI vintage MP-18 submachinegun!
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »

I remember watching/recording this movie on TBS when it was on Super Scary Saturday.  At least I believe it was on SSS...  Being about ten at the time, I loved it!  Great dinos, lots of killing, and freakin' machine guns!  This is still somewhere on my buy list for DVD's.  I need to remember to pick it up and watch it again.  Great review!
John
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »

But lookie what I have here!  Thumbup http://dragon.falbepublishing.com/seamonster.html

http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/sea-monster-attacks-german-submarine/

What is it with German U-Boats and Dinosaurs?
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 10:53:04 AM »

Quote from: From the Review
"Granted, the film is based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel and the writer's heroes were always men of exceptional talents, but, by God, those were men."

Hey they're German!   Wink 

Actually, the group is British and German, with Doug McClure's character as the only (male) American.  I have always liked many of Burroughs' heroes.  They are competent and resourceful, and often completely unafraid of death.  John Carter of Barsoom might be my favorite, but I think this movie did a good job of carrying that quality to the characters on the screen.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BixDugan
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »

Now I have to see this movie. Another great review!
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 12:44:33 PM »

So these people can build an oil refinery from scratch, yet can't make a water processing plant for desinfection. There were odd gaps in the training curriculum for sailors in those days.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
John
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »

Actually, the group is British and German, with Doug McClure's character as the only (male) American.  I have always liked many of Burroughs' heroes.  They are competent and resourceful, and often completely unafraid of death.  John Carter of Barsoom might be my favorite, but I think this movie did a good job of carrying that quality to the characters on the screen.

Yeah but when it comes to getting things done. I'll put my money on the Germans. I swear I've never met a larger bunch of humorless, work driven, disciplined, people in my life.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »

This was one of the first movies that I ever saw and seeing it up here brought back a lot of Saturday memories with my uncles. Great movie  Thumbup

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Ken Begg
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 09:31:36 PM »

Sometimes a film sticks with you because of one image.  I was lucky enough to see this in a theater when I was a kid (along with People That Time Forgot), and fell in love of that one shot of the ice covered U-Boat.  The rest of the movie is fun, but it's a rare film that fells you, even momentarily, with its beauty.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »

Mauser? I could've sworn it was a Luger Bradley used on the Allosaurus. But then again, I'm no gun expert.

Either way, I love this movie, alongside Warlords of Atlantis. Although I think a lot of the reviewers who've tackled it in the past are a little hard on the German characters. Really, the only bad one in the lot is that jerk Dietz. He even shoots Von Schoenvorts! But I guess it's a "one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel" kind of thing.

Actually, the group is British and German, with Doug McClure's character as the only (male) American.

He's the only American, period. Everyone else is either British or German. Twirling
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:55:37 PM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 07:14:59 AM »

So these people can build an oil refinery from scratch, yet can't make a water processing plant for desinfection. There were odd gaps in the training curriculum for sailors in those days.

When they discuss the water situation I am not certain if it is so much ability or time (to create the distilling system).  I assumed the reason they needed to find a source of potable water in a hurry was their supply was low.  It only comes up when they first arrive in Caprona.  Later, once they've built the stockade, supplies are never mentioned.

This was one of the first movies that I ever saw and seeing it up here brought back a lot of Saturday memories with my uncles. Great movie  Thumbup

I think a lot of us saw this on television years ago.  It was a staple on Channel 29's "Creature Double Feature" Saturdays back when I was a kid (late 70's, early 80's).

Mauser? I could've sworn it was a Luger Bradley used on the Allosaurus. But then again, I'm no gun expert.

Either way, I love this movie, alongside Warlords of Atlantis. Although I think a lot of the reviewers who've tackled it in the past are a little hard on the German characters. Really, the only bad one in the lot is that jerk Dietz. He even shoots Von Schoenvorts! But I guess it's a "one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel" kind of thing.

There are a couple of times that the party fires on dinosaurs, but I would assume some of the German rifles were meant to be Mausers.  I did not try to examine them closely.  Dietz seems like the only completely antagonistic human character.  He's quite the evil and excitable German.  I did not comment otherwise on the Germans, besides the Captain and XO.

Actually, the group is British and German, with Doug McClure's character as the only (male) American.

He's the only American, period. Everyone else is either British or German. Twirling

My only question was Lisa's nationality.  I am not certain if it was ever established.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Land that Time Forgot « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.