Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:10:10 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  USA TODAY says: 'We Built This City' ranks as the worst record ever « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: USA TODAY says: 'We Built This City' ranks as the worst record ever  (Read 18122 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: April 22, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »

USA TODAY says: 'We Built This City' ranks as the worst record ever

"We Built This City is the single worst single ever constructed, according to Blender's ranking of reeking tunes...The magazine's list of "The 50 Worst Songs Ever," which hits newsstands Tuesday in New York and Los Angeles and April 27 nationwide, distills the lamest popular rock-era records into one sonic landfill..." 
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2004-04-18-worst-songs_x.htm 

Well, these ratbastards know a few stinkers, but apparently lean on extremely well-known songs ( "Sounds Of Silence" is that bad?) or songs of their own era (read: '80s and '90s).  What about class-sick stinkers like JAMES DARREN's "Goodbye Cruel World" (#3 1961)??  Or THE LEMON PIPERS' "Green Tambourine" (#1 1967)??  CYRKLE's "Red Rubber Ball" (#2 1966)??  RICHARD HARRIS' "MacArthur Park" (#2 1968) ?? 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:47:35 PM »

Um, yeah.  Right off the top of my head, you could bump any two from that list (one of them being the Huey Lewis track) and replace them with Richard Harris's "MacArthur Park" (the "someone left the cake out in the rain" song -- seriously, what the hell?), and The Guess Who's "These Eyes" (otherwise known as "the reason I can't really respect Randy Bachman, no apologies").

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »

Um, yeah.  Right off the top of my head, you could bump any two from that list (one of them being the Huey Lewis track) and replace them with Richard Harris's "MacArthur Park" (the "someone left the cake out in the rain" song -- seriously, what the hell?), and The Guess Who's "These Eyes" (otherwise known as "the reason I can't really respect Randy Bachman, no apologies").
Well, we don't agree about "These Eyes", but HUEY LEWIS' contribution could definitely be bumped, for the so-bad-it's-good (okay, it's no-good) "MacArthur Park".  And though I don't like it, there are without doubt worst records (that are not "novelty" records) than "We Built This City".  It's a sad entry for what was left of the AIRPLANE, sure, but JAMES DARREN's "Goodbye Cruel World" isn't the worst of all?   TeddyR  Lookingup  TongueOut

Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »

I always thought that Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" from the Mannequin sequel was an even worse song.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »

Yay! Another worthless list! For one thing, including Paul Simon (even early Paul Simon) because of pretentiousness and not including Bob Dylan in the same sentence is ridiculous. I've never understood what makes Dylan so revered; his lyrics are pretty much very shallow dips in the philosophy pool. Simon's lyrics may not always be actually deep, but he is an outstanding sound poet; that is, he creates songs with lyrics that sound like they must mean something, whether or not they actually do. He often wrote lyrics simply for the sound of the words (if I recall my music trivia correctly) rather than for their meaning. The Huey Lewis tune is catchy, as are most of his songs. I'd even almost be willing to defend "Achy, Breaky Heart"--if it had been "Achin', Breakin' Heart," I could've dealt with it, but there's just something a little "eeeewww" about a grown man using teenage girl speak like "achy, breaky." As a result, I loathe the song. I'll also vote for "MacArthur Park," a truly pretentious trainwreck.

In short, lists like this, especially coming from a paragon of reporting excellence like USA Today [/sarcasm], are not worth the time it takes to read them. But I guess they're fun to argue over, and since I fell right into it, "Yay me!"

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:03:43 PM »

I wouldn't say it was the worst song, but it's pretty bad.  Grace Slick has a head you just want to punch so she'd shut up.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:07:11 PM »

How quickly they forget Terry Jacks "Seasons in the Sun."  Mercifully so.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »

None of the songs on that list are particularly bad.

For my money, it's hard to think of a worse song than Avril Lavigne's "Sk8r B0i".

"Freebird" by Lynard Skynard gives it a good run for its money, though.

"Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee aaaaaaaaaaas a  birrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd nooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..................."

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »

How quickly they forget Terry Jacks "Seasons in the Sun."  Mercifully so.
I wouldn't say it was the worst song, but it's pretty bad.  Grace Slick has a head you just want to punch so she'd shut up.
You guys are funny, I'm gonna gib you karma!!   Thumbup Thumbup  Yeh, TERRY JACKS "Seasons In The Sun" (a record I like, but hey, I also like CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS...that's why we're all here, correctamundo??!

Let's not forget "Shannon" (#6 1976) by HENRY GROSS
Or "Alone Again (Naturally)" by GILBERT O'SULLIVAN   He did two of my favorite 70s singles, including: ( BounceGiggle ) "Clair." BounceGiggle  BounceGiggle  BounceGiggle 

Small | Large

Small | Large
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:02:13 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »

Any "worst of" list that does not include "Crank Dat" by Soulja Boy is not a true worst of.  Hell, any true worst of would have to include just about any song released between 2002 and now. 

And, Huey Lewis should not be on any worst of list.  Dude's amazing. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »

Yay! Another worthless list! For one thing, including Paul Simon (even early Paul Simon) because of pretentiousness and not including Bob Dylan in the same sentence is ridiculous. I've never understood what makes Dylan so revered; his lyrics are pretty much very shallow dips in the philosophy pool.

THANK YOU.  I was beginning to think that I was the only one who couldn't see the "obvious genius" in Dylan.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »

None of the songs on that list are particularly bad.
For my money, it's hard to think of a worse song than Avril Lavigne's "Sk8r B0i".
"Freebird" by Lynard Skynard gives it a good run for its money, though.
"Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee aaaaaaaaaaas a  birrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd nooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..................."
Several of the songs on that list are particularly bad, "Freebird" is awesome, and you, sir, are drunk!!   BounceGiggle  Cheers
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:17:21 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:22:27 AM »

I didn't really mind that Wang Chung song, and Heart of Rock 'n' Roll is a pretty good song.  Ebony and Ivory isn't particularly offensive either.  We Built This City - that's just so generic, so run of the mill, so sugary sweet and nauseating.  Such a total sell out money grab from a band that was once pretty good. 

Can't believe they left this one off the list: 
Small | Large

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:41:49 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »

I'm glad they have Limp Bizkit's "Rollin".  I'd nominate most of their library along with Linkin Park's. 

The other day I was talking about the early 90s being a horrid time in music.  Stuff like Gerardo and Snow.  Then the grunge revolution came and made music intense again.  Then it got too instense and you wanted it fun again.   

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 12:28:30 PM »

I don't agree with Everybody have Fun Tonight being on that list.  While it's not the best song in the world, it's still pretty decent.  There are far worse songs that could be on the bottom 10, but once the list comes out I will have to look and see how much of it I agree with or not.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  USA TODAY says: 'We Built This City' ranks as the worst record ever « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.