Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:58:24 AM
713328 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Shaving Your Head « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you ever shave your head?
Yes...all the time - 6 (25%)
Every so often - 8 (33.3%)
Once...and it looked terrible - 3 (12.5%)
Never - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Shaving Your Head  (Read 15925 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 05:04:39 AM »

I shaved my head onna bet for $200 dollars about 10 years ago. I needed rent money. Iv'e had long hair since about 1985,so it was weird. I cut it to a regular(?) above the ears and off the neck style about 2 years ago,and I comb it back. I 'm too old to look like a headbanging geek anymore. Now I just look like a geek.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 07:09:20 AM »

I shave my head every day. I started in 1993, and have only had hair for a couple of brief periods since. I might be unusual in that I was not losing my hair at the time, and just wanted to try a bald head. It takes time to get over the initial self-consciousness, but I was pretty happy with it. I have since developed a significant bald spot, although it's obviously difficult to detect.

I shave in the shower every day. Used to do it every few days, but the skin actually seems to stay clearer if I don't allow the stubble. Go three days or a week without shaving, and I start to break out. I always shave against the grain for smoothness, except on the back of my neck, where I tend to get ingrown hairs. The other reason I shave daily is that I thought about whether I wanted to be considered a bald guy or a guy who shaves his head. I made the commitment to keep it clean-shaven daily. I really like it, and I don't mind if it attracts attention. At this point, if there was a practical option to make it permanent, I'd probably take it.

Head maintenance is something I have a fair bit of experience with. If it starts breaking out or a rash develops, I find wiping it down with witch hazel a couple of times a day will clear it up. I tend to stay away from moisturizers to avoid clogging the pores. I wouldn't recommend coconut oil on the scalp, because it will clog up the skin. Sweet almond oil might be a better choice, but generally, I think the best thing for the scalp is to keep it clean. I try to avoid hats, except when weather conditions warrant one, because they tend to trap dirt, oil and sweat against the scalp.

One thing I've found that is really good is sugar scrubs. Oil, sugar, essential oils, etc. It exfoliates, cleanses and lubricates. Scrub your head with it in the shower, apply some liquid soap or shampoo directly on top of it, lather it all together and shave. Close, smooth and comfortable.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:03:59 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »

I have yet to shave my head.  I've considered it a few times, but I've been told by others that if I did that I would like like a monk if I did so.  If I start to lose my hair more than I am now (My hair line is receding already, that start about 5 to 6 years ago) I will have it off and let it off.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »

I do it every 5 days.  anymore than that and I start to get headaches!  must be psychosomatic
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »

I honestly thought this was going to be about St. Baldrick's Day, for those of you who don't know, you shave your head to make a wig for cancer patients, kind of like what Trevor mentioned.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Torgo

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 07:52:21 PM »

I have been shaving me head for a couple of years now since freshmen year in college. My hair was just so thin I knew I was losing it. Luck for me never had really long hair were I was freaking out over losing it and most people say it looks good on me anyway.

Great Rich, I haven't seen your name on the forum in months and now you drop this bomb on us.  BounceGiggle

Actually you've been posting a bit lately now that I've checked your last post. Just saying hellooooo...................... to Rich Andrini.

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 01:45:34 AM »

I have been shaving me head for a couple of years now since freshmen year in college. My hair was just so thin I knew I was losing it. Luck for me never had really long hair were I was freaking out over losing it and most people say it looks good on me anyway.

Great Rich, I haven't seen your name on the forum in months and now you drop this bomb on us.  BounceGiggle

Actually you've been posting a bit lately now that I've checked your last post. Just saying hellooooo...................... to Rich Andrini.

Thanks Conan/Scott. I come in evey once in awhile to post.

Getting back on topic, I do get some confused people thinking I'm some Nazi Skin because I have a back patch that has this:

Don't know why its pretty clear and even one time I was hanging out with my friend whos black and a bunch of guys were like "whats that say" but hey some people are slow I guess TeddyR

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 07:18:39 AM »

I've been mistaken for a biker once or twice. I'm a big guy, shaved head, longish goatee, I like to wear a bandanna and sunglasses in the summer, and I generally wear a lot of black. There have been a couple of times people have assumed I was the owner of a nearby Harley. Nope, never owned a motorcycle, but I admit I look the part.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Susan
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »

I'm assuming this question is mainly male oriented.  But I've never shaved my head and I never will.  My hair is thick and curly and half way down my back, and if someone ever shaved it, I would feel violated and probably end up in therapy for the next 10 years.

Ash,  if your head is sore, red, blotchy, itchy, flaky, etc. try coconut oil.  It's cheap, natural, soothing and just melts into your skin.  And in a few days, the problems should disappear.  You can get it at any health food store.  Get it in a container as opposed to a bottle if you can.  Otherwise, when it solidifies, you'll have a devil of time getting at it.

It probably isn't eczema or anything like that.  If you're not used to shaving your head, then it's just that the skin hasn't had time to toughen up and it's a little too tender for such harsh treatment.

I agree - also olive oil works great. I had dry skin on my eyelids once that was just itchy, red and depressing. Lotion made it worse and it burned because the chemicals in it. Olive oil is natural and never burns and soaks into your skin, a little goes a long way as it does not evaporate instantly and it's a fantastic way to moisterize. I guess we women know all the little secrets  TeddyR

ps i've thought of shaving my thick hair a million times because i get so sick of it sometimes, but i never would. Hair is strangely a part of who a woman is
Susan
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »

Oh and my two cents: I think when your young and losing your hair you're more self concious - I can't relate but i can understand. The thing is, the older we get the less we tend to care what people think. And the more you grow into your own, so to speak.

I think you have to try and accept who you are and not hide it. I hate it when men do the combover, i know they're trying to hold onto the dream but honestly women prefer a man who is not trying to hide anything.  You don't have to have muscles and be macho to be able to pull off a bald head. You just have to be self confident

Check out this article on actors in the public eye

Sean connery does the side and back hair and he's dead sexy to women who are more than half his age..lol
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »

Thanks Conan/Scott. I come in evey once in awhile to post.

Getting back on topic, I do get some confused people thinking I'm some Nazi Skin because I have a back patch that has this:

Don't know why its pretty clear and even one time I was hanging out with my friend whos black and a bunch of guys were like "whats that say" but hey some people are slow I guess TeddyR

I just want to be sure, that picture means you don't like nazi's right?

p.s. I really feel like an idiot posting this.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 12:42:45 PM »

Patient7 It means I don't like Nazis. Don't feel like a idiot. At least you asked. I almost got into a fight with some dude at bar because hes like "You don't like Jews" I was like "What are you talking about?" Lucky the owner kicked him out because he just wanted to fight.  Thumbup

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »

Rich:  I'm at a loss as to how this could be ambiguous.  Forgive my bluntness -- it says "keep your country neat and clean," and a guy is throwing a swastika into the trash.   That isn't particularly open to interpretation.

I'm not arguing, though, with your experience -- somehow I'm not surprised that people can't figure it out.  You are meaning that this is a patch on your coat or something, right, not something tattooed into your skin?

(I'd bet that If it showed a star of David being thrown into the trash, 99% of people wouldn't come up to you and ask you if you hate Israel or if you hate Jews.)
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »

Rich:  I'm at a loss as to how this could be ambiguous.  Forgive my bluntness -- it says "keep your country neat and clean," and a guy is throwing a swastika into the trash.   That isn't particularly open to interpretation.

I'm not arguing, though, with your experience -- somehow I'm not surprised that people can't figure it out.  You are meaning that this is a patch on your coat or something, right, not something tattooed into your skin?

(I'd bet that If it showed a star of David being thrown into the trash, 99% of people wouldn't come up to you and ask you if you hate Israel or if you hate Jews.)

It is a patch I have on my jacket. Actually a backpatch that takes up most of my jacket in the back so its pretty clear. I think its sort of a knee-jerk reaction when people see a swastika and a bald guy. Its just kind of weird. I'm Hispanic too so it adds to the weirdness.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Shaving Your Head « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.