Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:21:46 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why do they always do that? Notes on Kaiju Behavior. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do they always do that? Notes on Kaiju Behavior.  (Read 3624 times)
Flangepart
« on: March 04, 2002, 12:13:46 PM »

I was watching my dvd of Gappa, the Triphibian Monster (Tokyo Shock ), and noticed something....every time the Kaiju are about to come out of the sea,or lake, or any body of water, the surface of said water always goes into "Jaccuzi mode"....and i gotta ask....why? Realy.....are they....well, how else to say it...Pooting? Is that a methane release, or what? As they breathe underwater, they don't leave a bubble trail...fish don't....so, why the water show? Do they have a "Showbiz" instinct, regular animals don't have? Are they aware how "Cool" it looks? Does anyone have an explination for this? Inquireing minds want to know! And, on that note, what other aspects of Kaiju behavior have made you go, "The heck was that all about?"
C. Hill
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2002, 12:26:14 PM »

I expect you all to check out this page:
http://www.kaiju.com/
It's called Kaiju Big Battel!  Spelled wrong intentionally, it's a page all about amateur Kaiju battles (or battels) and tapes that you can order.  Made by Americans, but all intentionally written in "Engrish".  "Who is the danger"?

And to answer your question, really I think you're thinking about this way too much.
Ken Begg
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2002, 12:33:05 PM »

Well, this basically started with Gojira, the first Godzilla movie back in '54.  I suppose there are two theories:

1)  It's not bubbling so much as water being displaced as Godzilla rises from below the surface of the water.  As Godzilla is rather more massive than, say, a nuclear submarine, he'd push aside a lot of water.

2)  Especially in regards to Godzilla, it could be that he's superheating the water, bringing it to a boil.  Godzilla is, after all, functionally a biological nuclear furnace.

After Godzilla, I think it just became an established Kaiju bit.
AndyC
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2002, 02:58:32 PM »

I kind of like the theory of monsters farting underwater to explain the bubbles. "Oops, here's my scene. Better take care of this before I'm on camera."

It would be kind of cool to have a nature show explaining these little details about monsters in the wild. Mind you, Steve Irwin probably wouldn't last long enough to complete a show.

One behavioural trait I always notice is that kaiju, when fighting each other, have a little move they do when getting ready to scrap. That is the sort of move that involves swaying around, wiping the dirt off the claws, planting feet firmly on the ground and making other gestures, as if to say "bring it on, baby."

At the top of my list of puzzling things is the way Megalon can put together his two claws and have them spin like a single drill bit. What kind of mechanism would that require? I suppose if Jet Jaguar can program himself to be bigger, Megalon can do whatever he wants.

Actually, the cyborg monsters interest me the most. I'd like to know more about Gigan's origins.
C. Hill
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2002, 05:57:11 PM »

Let's hope it's not Kaiju farting underwater.  After seeing what comes out of Godzilla's mouth, I'd hate to see what comes out of his ass...
Flangepart
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2002, 06:03:57 PM »

I like it! In Marc Cericini's Godzilla novel, he mentions a Nova special about Godzilla...and i say, why not? They did one about Star Trek Science, so why not do that voodoo with Kaiju? After all, it could be one funny science program! Works for me. Imagin Steven Hawking a  theory for King Gidorah and Rodan not haveing to flap to fly. About the pre fight moves of Kaiju....ever watch a Sumo tournement? Could there be a connection? By the way, C.Hill......i do think way too much about this! "If your wondering how he eats and breaths, and other science facts....just repeat to your self its just a show, i should realy just relax....."
Funk, E
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2002, 06:11:52 PM »

Not to get too mundane, but I wonder if all of the surface disturbances come from oxygen escaping the suit itself.
Hairzilla
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2002, 07:33:42 PM »

....for mys-ter-ies of kaiju be-ha-vior three thou-saand!

I couldn't leave ya hangin' there, Flange' man.
Hairzilla
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2002, 12:30:49 PM »

While this isn't a behavior per-se, I think the biggest Godzilla mystery is how he can stand perfectly upright while in bodies of water that run far deeper than he is tall.... Anyone?.... Anyone?.... Beuller?
AndyC
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2002, 12:56:36 PM »

That's true, Godzilla does always seem to find some footing in the middle of the ocean when he needs it. On the other side of the coin, he often manages to stay submerged until he's surprisingly close to shore, and stands up to his waist in water you wouldn't expect to be quite that deep.

I get the impression that the ocean floor drops off very sharply from the coast of Japan, then maintains a depth of about 100 feet, give or take, across much of the Pacific, unless the script calls for it to be deeper.
The Future Blob
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2002, 12:34:07 PM »

Maybe he can make smoke rings?
Squishy
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2002, 04:44:29 PM »

AndyC's quite correct; Godzilla does this very deliberately in Daikaiju Soukougeki--swimming into a harbor and then suddenly standing up to his full height. A couple of guys in a boat gain an idea of how tall he really is...
Flangepart
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2002, 01:09:06 PM »

Oh, vell dot's a easy von, Mine Friend, he's like a big ,old icenbergen, und hiss tail is fliiling avay like a sonn off a gun. Under der vater, his feet und tail are realy movin! Talk about treddin vater! Yah!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why do they always do that? Notes on Kaiju Behavior. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.