Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:06:40 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Good Things Happen When The Americans Invade « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Good Things Happen When The Americans Invade  (Read 18776 times)
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »

My family (Mostly my mother) has a boycott on Sears and K-M art for one reason.  My mother needed a new washer and dryer for her business.  Well she got it at Sears and it was delivered to her business but it didn't work.  The whole kicker of the thing was that they people who brought it over KNEW that IT DIDN'T WORK to begin with.  Then they tried to tell my mom that it was "Because it was cold out" is the reason it didn't work.  Well long story short they kept delaying replacing it so my mom said I'm going some where else and got her new Washer and Dryer at Home Depot and had no problems since then.

We have no KK in the area expect for maybe a display case at the local gas stations.  DD are a dime dozen around where I live.  I tend to avoid those place since I don't always like their stuff, plus I am trying to change my diet so I can lose some of my extra weight that I put on since 06.

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 10:39:32 AM »

The only donut-shop/-francise we have over here in Germany is Dunkin' Donuts in some of the larger cities. I live in a rather small city, but Frankfurt is nearby. However, I don't like sweets anyway, so I don't care (but I would appreciate some Taco Bell somewhere near. Not one in the whole of Germany, I think).

As far as I know, Wal-Mart has pulled out of Germany one or two years ago (there used to be a store nearby). All the stores are some German Mega-Supermarket-chain now, so I don't know if that is much better...

Funny thing is, that in my city most pool tables have gone, too! Some global pattern, apparently.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 10:53:11 AM »

The only donut-shop/-francise we have over here in Germany is Dunkin' Donuts in some of the larger cities. I live in a rather small city, but Frankfurt is nearby. However, I don't like sweets anyway, so I don't care (but I would appreciate some Taco Bell somewhere near. Not one in the whole of Germany, I think).

Oh, but you have some great bakeries and small shops like that.  That's something I do like about cities, that I do not like about suburbia:  small shops.  In surburbia it seems like everything is chains.  In cities you get a lot more of those little family-owned shops.  We have an orchard in my hometown, and several farms that sell produce from little farm stores.  I go to get stuff from them all the time.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 11:04:11 AM »

Oh, but you have some great bakeries and small shops like that.  That's something I do like about cities, that I do not like about suburbia:  small shops.  In surburbia it seems like everything is chains.  In cities you get a lot more of those little family-owned shops.  We have an orchard in my hometown, and several farms that sell produce from little farm stores.  I go to get stuff from them all the time.

Yaa I don't like that about suburbia either, but the chains chose out the family owned shops and such.  Restaurants is another thing I sometimes I choose between.  While I like the larger chain ones since I can get some adult beverages with my meals I tend to go for locally owned or family owned restaurants that are near where I live.  If I want a quick meal some where I will usually hit one of the local diners and enjoy myself there.  Of course the food is not as good as the bigger chains but it is cheaper and I get out faster than if I went to the chain places.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »

Krispy Kreme isn't doing so well in Chicago, at least my part of it. I've seen several close down over the past few years. I don't know if they screwed up their expansion plans or Dunkin Donuts just plain beat them out or if people finally figured out that all you're paying for is whipped air and a little frosting. There are also some excellent little donut shops here if you know where to look. Just follow the cops and truckers Smile

Ah Wal-mart. I bought clothes there when money was pretty tight. I don't think any of them lasted more than a few months of regular wear. While I do own my fair share of t-shirts that are molecule thin due to overuse, I don't expect most clothes to last forever. But it seems that decent quality clothes would last longer than a few months. But like someone may have already said, eventually a hungrier fish is gonna come along and eat them up.

Now my plan is that once I win the lottery I will bribe enough legislators to make my chain of b movie themed brothels( with Drive-Thru) a legal reality. Twirling

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »

KRISPY KREME is poison, plus I don't think they taste good at all.  As CHEEZEE said, "nasty." 
WALMART is an illusion; they misrepresent their pricing, they purposely understock advertised items, treat their underpaid employees like chattel... no wonder you can't get friendly or even decent service in a WALMART. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 04:32:14 PM »

no wonder you can't get friendly or even decent service in a WALMART.

About Walmart, I do shop there for the basics like paper towels and toilet paper.  I often find their customer service, from the cashiers to the corporate office, rather awful.   I did my time (or sentence as I all it) in retail and know how customers act at times.  Still, I only complain if my experience really sucks and on several occasions at Walmart, it has with their products and their staff.  Most places will go the extra mile to make a mends if their customer service sucks.  (Gift certificates, follow up phone calls, etc.)  Walmart has never offered a single thing to me and I've called them a few times for both complaints and praise.  All I've gotten is a "We'll try to be better" in so many words. 

No, I'm not out for free junk but don't you think a billion dollar corporation would at least try to please the customer after unfavorable experience?   I believe feedback is very important and Walmart seems to more a less say "F-you" when you have something to say about their store. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:35:57 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 05:15:51 PM »

Ah Wal-mart. I bought clothes there when money was pretty tight. I don't think any of them lasted more than a few months of regular wear.

I buy most of my clothes at Tractor Supply, I got some shirts my grandmother gave me for x-mas that she bought at Wal-Mart and being a good grandson I accepted them in spite of the fact I can not stand Wal-Mart. Well the shirts started falling apart after about 2 or 3 washes and the seams were coming apart and they shrunk about a full size. Within 3 months I had thrown them all alway. reaffirming why I don't go there.

I'm not out for free junk but don't you think a billion dollar corporation would at least try to please the customer after unfavorable experience?

Wal-Mart doesn't care what you think, or I think or anyone thinks, they have brainwashed so much of the public into thinking they are getting a good deal that they never shop around and don;t know where else to go. I live in a small town and people are amazed I can get everything I need with never setting foot in Wal-Mart. They've been so Wal-Martized there completely unaware there are other stores and Wal-Mart knows this so they don't care. The only thing Wal-Mart is rolling back is IQ points and merchant diversity.
I get ill every time I hear someone say, "Oh I just love Wal-Mart." I want to say "Oh you love buying cheap crap from China huh?" Little FYI 80% of all products sold in Wal-Mart are made in China, most of the rest are made in 3rd world countries. Very little is American made.

Menard
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »

menard- but let me guess,  target is okay?

I'm still waiting for that to make sense.

In the meantime...

Let me count the number of Target stores that opened shop in small towns, sold below cost to drive small shops out of business, then raised prices to anything they want and provided crappy customer service and products, while leaving a wasteland of empty storefronts and crushed local economies in their wake.

Presently the count is at "0".

Still waiting for your remark to make sense...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 06:34:08 PM »

menard- but let me guess,  target is okay?
I'm still waiting for that to make sense.
In the meantime...
Let me count the number of Target stores that opened shop in small towns, sold below cost to drive small shops out of business, then raised prices to anything they want and provided crappy customer service and products, while leaving a wasteland of empty storefronts and crushed local economies in their wake.
Presently the count is at "0".

Still waiting for your remark to make sense...
I'd give ya karma for that..., but, alas no kin dew. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 06:58:54 PM »

The Krispy Kreme donut line was out the door again this morning.  I just laughed and went to catch my bus.  I'm assuming the furore will die down when the novelty wears off.  I haven't bought any yet but I might in the future.  I don't actually eat much in the way of junk food but I just like to know that the KKs is there if I want them.

We have a couple of donut stores called Dreamy Donuts.  I believe they are similar to KKs products and they come in plain glazed and all kinds of other yummy flavours.  But each donut is about $2, so you'd go broke if you bought one every day.

My saving grace is that donuts don't exactly agree with me, so it's not possible for me to overeat them.

As for Wal-Mart, we already have K-Mart and Target plus our own chain stores of the same ilk like Best and Less and Big W and they seem to do pretty well.  What you guys call Mom and Pop stores, there don't seem to be too many of them from what I can see.  But I'm assuming that even if Wal-Mart do open up here, they'll stock lot of brands Aussies are already familiar with.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 06:13:17 AM »

While Target did exist in other towns for a while, where I live we got a Target built last year.  I've only been there a few times, but I enjoyed it every time I went there.  I haven't been there in a while, but when Gas prices come down (Which may take a long time) I'll go there again, that or if I need clothes.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 07:26:15 AM »

When MacDonalds came to South Africa a few years back, there were a few resturants that had to change their names because of too much similarities between those names and MacDonalds'. We even had a 'MickDonalds' in Johannesburg at one time. Other than that, not many eating franchises have popped up here since 1994: it's mostly car dealers and other industries. TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 07:38:32 AM »

there were a few resturants that had to change their names because of too much similarities between those names and MacDonalds'. We even had a 'MickDonalds' in Johannesburg at one time.

Really?

Wow.  So the existing businesses had to change their name so a new, offshore company could come in to compete with them?

I find that totally incredible.  And more than just a little corrupt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »

Wow.  So the existing businesses had to change their name so a new, offshore company could come in to compete with them?

Worse than that, ulthar: some of those businesses had to close due to legal action by MacDonalds as they refused to change their names. So it seems, MacDonald's doesn't like competition.  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Good Things Happen When The Americans Invade « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.