Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:43:26 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Good Things Happen When The Americans Invade « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Good Things Happen When The Americans Invade  (Read 18767 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 09:44:47 AM »

Wow.  So the existing businesses had to change their name so a new, offshore company could come in to compete with them?

Worse than that, ulthar: some of those businesses had to close due to legal action by MacDonalds as they refused to change their names. So it seems, MacDonald's doesn't like competition.  Question

Reminds me of the movie "Coming to America" when McDonald's was suing the restaurant McDowell's for sounding and looking to much like them.

I use to travel pretty much all the time internationally and it was not uncommon to see "Americanish" restaurant in some countries, I remember in northern Italy there was a "Mendy's" which looked a lot like Wendy's right down to the square burgers, in Lebanon there was a "KPC" which looked like "KFC" ... no idea what KPC stood for.
I've seen in various countries more than a few McDonald's type ripoffs, why anyone would want to be like McDonald's is beyond me, any thing with a "special sauce" I'll pass on.

Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 02:29:29 AM »

Krispy Kreme are the worst donuts I've ever tasted.  I've not spent money at a Walmart in almost five years, but when I went to college it was impossible to avoid them because Columbia, MO was where Sam Walton went to college so the city had three of them! 

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 02:21:32 AM »

What I want to know is...
Is Tars Tarkas a male or female?
"They" have a girl avatar here on this board.  But I've been to Tar's website and forum and "they've" purposely made it unclear as to whether they're a girl or a guy.  (or both)

So what are you Tars?  Do you have a penis or a vagina? 
I'm sure I'm not the only one here to wonder...

(I was gonna make this an entirely seperate thread...but I didn't want to embarrass you)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:59:20 AM by Ash » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 05:42:40 AM »

"They" have a girl avatar here on this board.  But I've been to Tar's website and forum and "they've" purposely made it unclear as to whether they're a girl or a guy.  (or both)

(I was gonna make this an entirely seperate thread...but I didn't want to embarrass you)

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Me TOO!!!!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Menard
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 06:18:14 AM »

Sounds like a creepy way to ask someone out.

Right now I am thinking of someone who belongs in the 'creeps me out' thread.

The Martian is a guy, and he has alluded to that in other threads on this forum.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »

Wow.  So the existing businesses had to change their name so a new, offshore company could come in to compete with them?

Worse than that, ulthar: some of those businesses had to close due to legal action by MacDonalds as they refused to change their names. So it seems, MacDonald's doesn't like competition.  Question

I don't get that high handed attitude by those companies.  McDonalds and Coca Cola never have to advertise again and they'd still be raking in the millions.  McDonald is a very common, very old name.  It's not like anyone is going to mistake the Golden Arches for something else.

I think when you get to their level of income and brand awareness, paranoia set in and it seems like anything even vaguely related to the name is designed to bring them down.  But I don't think that can happen. They are just too big.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Menard
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »

I think when you get to their level of income and brand awareness, paranoia set in and it seems like anything even vaguely related to the name is designed to bring them down.  But I don't think that can happen. They are just too big.

Not necessarily so. Look what Kmart did to themselves. If someone had suggested 20 or 30 years ago that Wal-mart would be bigger than Kmart, that would have garnered some odd looks.

Of course, what McDonald's does to the competetion puts them in about the same ethical sewer that Wal-mart is in. McDonald's has gone after companies which have been around long before them to have the 'Mc' removed from their name.

McDonald's is branching out by offering non-food items, such as their DVD rentals. Such a move suggests a company that is looking to increase revenue either by alternative means or a means to bring back customers it is losing to competition.

Subway put a dent in McDonald's market, and both of them are riding the coattails of Wal-mart. Though a good move for Subway (if not a shabby way, though, to screw your franchisees), it seems to cast McDonald's in a secondary, if not Wal-mart's whore, light.

Neither tactic is a sign of a company that is doing as well as it used to be doing.

McDonald's has become an institution, but that is the same thing that is hurting it. People are always going to associate McDonald's with burgers. They have tried other things, often to much failure.

Maybe they should have Ronald McDonald come out of the closet. It seems to have worked for Burger King; at least I presume it has as they keep making those commercials with the King being in some guy's bedroom or in bed with him.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 10:39:41 PM »

Maybe they should have Ronald McDonald come out of the closet. It seems to have worked for Burger King; at least I presume it has as they keep making those commercials with the King being in some guy's bedroom or in bed with him.

BURGKING GON' GITCHOO TOO!!!
Hey!  Over here, hey!  Hi!  Hi ya!  Hi! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 06:53:49 AM »

They've tried, but it just wasn't the same

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 08:34:57 AM »

TrekGeezer ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Menard
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 05:45:05 PM »

They've tried, but it just wasn't the same

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

I went past Krispy Kreme this morning and there were only a few people in the store.  Seems like we Aussies have short attention spans   TeddyR

I must admit that when I'm buying stuff, I usually go to the Aussie stores of Best and Less and Big W instead of K-Mart and Target.  Target used to be for the poor people, but it's getting pretty pricey lately.  Haven't been there in ages.

I like K-Mart for some things.  But Big W is just awesome for all kinds of things.  Their prices are even cheaper than K-Mart and it seems that, in my end of the world at least, the selection of goods is much better.  The store is brighter and better laid out and the shelves are always full.  K-Mart is haphazardly laid out and the shelves are often empty.

I don't eat in fast food "restaurants".  The food actually makes me ill.  I don't understand why McDonalds would branch out into other avenues under their own name.  Menard is right.  They will only ever be known for their burgers.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »

I don't understand why McDonalds would branch out into other avenues under their own name.  Menard is right.  They will only ever be known for their burgers.

It's always been a peeve of mine. All of these companies are trying to be everything to everybody. When did it become a bad thing to do one thing really well? Now they all do a half-assed job of a whole pile of things that might only make sense together if you have a business degree.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »

I don't understand why McDonalds would branch out into other avenues under their own name.  Menard is right.  They will only ever be known for their burgers.

It's always been a peeve of mine. All of these companies are trying to be everything to everybody. When did it become a bad thing to do one thing really well? Now they all do a half-assed job of a whole pile of things that might only make sense together if you have a business degree.

I agree Andy.  I think it just boils down to greed.  Pure and simple.

Pretty soon, we'll have our own Umbrella Corporation, but it will be called The McDonalds Corporation.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 10:36:50 PM »

You are correct, I've always heard and repeated to my guys "It is better to do one job extremely well then to do a variety of jobs half ass."
To many companies try to do to much and rarely do any of it very well, case in point Wal-Mart. Given enough time the shine loses it's luster and they to one day well fall.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Good Things Happen When The Americans Invade « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.