Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:20 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Apocalypse: What would you do « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Apocalypse: What would you do  (Read 25573 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 06:07:55 AM »

Can I assume that Anne Hathaway might also survive said apocalypse, and need a protector?

You may assume that and you may also assume she'll be at Camp Cheezeflixz post-apocalyptic Compound for Unemployed Starlets and Nudist Colony.

Dang, Trumped again!!!  Karma for Cheeze!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 08:30:16 AM »

Can I assume that Anne Hathaway might also survive said apocalypse, and need a protector?

You may assume that and you may also assume she'll be at Camp Cheezeflixz post-apocalyptic Compound for Unemployed Starlets and Nudist Colony.

Dang, Trumped again!!!  Karma for Cheeze!

Well, Ok I guess it could be worth hanging around a bit for some of you.  BounceGiggle

I'm going to be realistic.  There is no chance for my survival past a week, if even that.

I would be dead within 3-7 days of dehydration or starvation.

Depending on the circumstances Akiratubo might be closer to things if you made it past the first day. May God have mercy.

I live in Southern New Jersey near the cape and our chances of escape are zero. If a asteroid hit or a nuclear bomb(s) went off in the Northeast we couldn't get out. There are only about 5 or 6 bridges out of New Jersey that are East of us between Delaware and Trenton. South Jersey is a death zone. We are kinda down wind from Washington and Philadelphia. Going towards Philadelphia with it's population is out of the question. To the North we would have millions fleeing the New York City region. The only chance by land would be a road that goes through the pine barrens towards Trenton, but you wouldn't know what you might encounter in Trenton, but you could go up the Delaware River farther North if there was a problem where you might have a chance. This would take hours. Might work if you brought your own gasoline.

Other than that I would need a good boat and use the Atlantic Ocean as transportation going to South America or maybe even to Europe if you had that kind of fuel capacity. If the boat was stocked with good bait there might still be abundant sea life for food. Chances might be better at sea if you go down the coast you could have access to seafood and pick your landings on the shore, so as to avoid people.

It depends on the disaster. Living near or on the coast being dangerous if there was a meteor strike. We would be underwater and it would be over. You wouldn't get to a boat and even if you did it would overwhelm your ocean craft. If you had an inflatable raft in your home you might be able to ride out the mother of tsunami's by hanging on tight till the waters settled. That's if the waters weren't boiling. Then again if a meteorite hit the earth life on earth might be very clouded and prolonged death would be harsher.

As a survivalist it would be part of the challenge to survive that keeps you going. 

It's said that you can produce enough food for 1 year in a 10x10 foot plot with method of preservation. Multiply that by the number of people in your company. You might be able to find a good place to hide out where hordes of desperate people couldn't find you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:26:03 AM by Conan » Logged

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 09:23:45 AM »

I live in Southern New Jersey near the cape and our chances of escape are zero.

This is one of the very few benefits of living in BFE, no real targets around here and a thin population. I'd say surviving some apocalyptic event depending on exactly what it is might be a little better than in the densely populated urban centers where more people are dependent on services than self reliances. Many of my big city friends wouldn't last long if they had to resort to hunt and gather as opposed to shop and charge.
A buddy of mine from Chicago came down to go fishing for the first time in his life and he was in his 40's. No idea how to bait a hook, tie a line or cast. I asked him what on earth would you do if you had to survive on your own? And he replied rather straight faced ... "I guess die."

Scott

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 09:28:57 AM »

I live in Southern New Jersey near the cape and our chances of escape are zero.

This is one of the very few benefits of living in BFE, no real targets around here and a thin population. I'd say surviving some apocalyptic event depending on exactly what it is might be a little better than in the densely populated urban centers where more people are dependent on services than self reliances. Many of my big city friends wouldn't last long if they had to resort to hunt and gather as opposed to shop and charge.
A buddy of mine from Chicago came down to go fishing for the first time in his life and he was in his 40's. No idea how to bait a hook, tie a line or cast. I asked him what on earth would you do if you had to survive on your own? And he replied rather straight faced ... "I guess die."

Where is BFE?

In the U.S. I often thought New Mexico would be the best state to live in the case of mega disasters.

EDIT: Base Flood Elevation. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:31:01 AM by Conan » Logged

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »

Where is BFE?

In the U.S. I often thought New Mexico would be the best state to live in the case of mega disasters.

Bum F**k Egypt ... aka the middle of nowhere. In my case very far western KY.

Scott

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 10:25:18 AM »

Where is BFE?

Bum F**k Egypt ... aka the middle of nowhere. In my case very far western KY.

Yea, I saw that on my BFE search.  BounceGiggle

The reason I picked New Mexico (most noteably Norther part) instead of Pacific Northwest or Wyoming is that Yellowstone National Park is a massive mega volcano and the Cascade Mountain Range are very volatile. New Mexico would be out of the wind pattern for that kind of disaster. Maybe not far enough, but you might have a better chance. The only problem with New Mexico is that is that it has the largest nuclear stock pile in the U.S. and whether they use them or not it could pose a problem with massive earth changes.

hot

Southern California there are just to many people and the Southern California desert East of the the L.A. and San Diego are harsh landscapes for survival.

So, my ultimate pick for now is East of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range. Wouldn't mind trying the area just East of the the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. Between the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Nevada border within California. Like Owens Valley. We drove through it two Summers ago. Remote enough in the case of emergency and lots of wildlife. The only problem there is it might become a refuge for the millions from the West coast. 

Wouldn't mind living in my original home town of Elmira, New York as there are enough small roads to head Westward, Southwest-ward, or even head to Canada. Also lot of wildlife, lakes, and water in that area. Hopefully far enough from hordes from New York City, but probably not. Don't want to go to far North though because of the cold in the Winter. Then again it may become cold everywhere if a major nuclear or meteoric event happens to the planet blocking out the sun.

Kentucky is good. You could have good escape routes, elevation, wildlife, or stay put because you know the area so well and it's up-wind sort of speak from Washington D.C.. Pre-survival prep could work in Kentucky if you decided to stay.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:54:03 PM by Conan » Logged

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 10:42:27 AM »

Marines speak in a different language at times.  I usually try to avoid doing that in reviews, unless I can provide enough context for someone to figure out what I mean.  Saying, "The monster squashed his freakin' grape!" without context just gets me emails asking, "What do you mean, 'grape?'"

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 10:45:25 AM »

Marines speak in a different language at times.  I usually try to avoid doing that in reviews, unless I can provide enough context for someone to figure out what I mean.  Saying, "The monster squashed his freakin' grape!" without context just gets me emails asking, "What do you mean, 'grape?'"

BounceGiggle

"The monster squashed his freakin' grape!" What does that mean?

Hammock Rider

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »

I'd somehow find Milla Jovovich, become her love slave and let her deal with it all.  Maybe we'd settle down in Barter Town.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »

BounceGiggle

Smashed his head.

'Grape' = 'head' but 'Head' = 'Bathroom'

What sucks is when you have the screamin' demons and the head is a click away. So then have to go with the bears.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »

BounceGiggle

Smashed his head.

What sucks is when you have the screamin' demons and the head is a click away. So then have to go with the bears.

And people don't understand this? Pretty obvious to me, and I'm about as non-military as they come (well, short of hippies). But then, I do well with figurative language, particularly potty analogies (it's a gift). One question, though: Why do you have to be exorcised along with the police just because the toilet is online? (I kid, I kid).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Scott

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 09:35:02 PM »

BounceGiggle

Smashed his head.

Question   Could you repeat that? Who's the monster?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:36:38 PM by Conan » Logged

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »

Anne Hathaway jokes aside, I have a nice 20 acre spread here in East Texas and a nice solid 100 year old farm house.  I could easily throw a gate across my drive.  I raise goats, so meat and milk are available.  Neighbors on either side have horses and cows, so there's transportation and steak.  Good soil for veggies, pecan and pear trees for fruit and nuts.  Near enough to a sizeable town that I could plunder Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Hasting's for food and entertainment and supplies.

Of course, if most of mankind disappeared, one of my first priorities would be to go arrowhead hunting on some of the lakes that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers hasn't allowed us to collect on in the last 15 years.  No Rangers to bug me, no other collectors to snag the good ones first!!! Can you say paradise??!!! Cheers

Of course, if Anne were to come around, that would only enhance the scenario . . . . Wink

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »

Just a monster, Andrew said as in a review, so any kind of monster smashes someones grape (head, skull) But maybe just maybe his grape wouldn't get cracked if he had a brain bucket or pot. (that is a helmet)

Scott

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »

What's your elevation IndianaSmith? A gate sounds wonderful.  BounceGiggle

I'm taking East of the Sierra Nevada Mountains off my list of good places. Because nuclear fallout and refuges from L.A. and San Francisco might make it unlivable. Guess I just wanted a better scenic view from my cave.

Seriously, I think Kentucky and Tennesse might be the best overall places to live in the U.S. for most Apocalyptic senarios.

Nothern Vermont might be ok also. You could stay there or depending on the senario you could cross over into Canada. Wait there till you can get a better picture of what's going on.

I'd pick the Northern Rockies, but just to add to the Yellowstone Caldera senario. A large enough meteor hitting the earth could set it off. They say if that ever blew it would take out the entire Mid-West for 1,000 miles. Mostly due to the direction of the wind. 

Just a monster, Andrew said as in a review, so any kind of monster smashes someones grape (head, skull) But maybe just maybe his grape wouldn't get cracked if he had a brain bucket or pot. (that is a helmet)

So if you wear a helmet Godzilla can't smash your head.  Ok, I think I have it now. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:20:47 PM by Conan » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Apocalypse: What would you do « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.