Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:33:34 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Phantasm « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Phantasm  (Read 69158 times)
drunkenbubba
New Visitor

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 08:17:56 AM »

As someone who loves this movie, I can see how many hate it. The story is confusing and almost non-existent at times. The acting is horrible in places, and yes it drags.

I saw this movie back in the summer of 79 at the age of 11 and I identified with Mike in every way. This movie just struck a chord at the time, since it was so unlike anything released at the time.

It also has the most creepy nightmarish atmosphere of any movie I have ever seen. The lighting, the feelings of isolation and separation are throughout the movie. I think it also helps if you look at the movie from the viewpoint of a 12 year old boy who is questioning his fears of adulthood mortality. The eerie music also gives a strange sense of doom at every turn.

I can get why people dislike this movie. I dont get it when people dislike this one, then praise crap like the Chucky movies, or Saw. To me this movie and a handful of others (Suspira, Videodrome, Prince of Darkness) are just on their own level above the dreck.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

Funniest review I've read on here....period! I think alot of the other comments have been unfair. Yes, it is a fairly decent horror film and it is enjoyable to us B-movie folk, but it is utterly mindboggling. The editing and layout of the plot is very, very confusing....but funny. I love the garage scene with the hammer and thought the end was quite scary.
I like this film alot, since I rewatched it with a friend, but it has ALOT of holes...  Smile

skully
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »

Well, all has been said cept the fact that the lil brother's facial expressions throughout the movie are priceless...especially when he chops off the Tall Man's fingers and mustard comes out!
The Great Red Cthulhu
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 07:42:12 PM »

I think the main problem is the confusing way it's presented. I've just finished watching it for the first time and my initial reaction coming out of it was that it was awful. However, after 20 minutes I realised that it had made me laugh at several points, I was giving the characters protips throughout the film ("Don't do it Reggie! NOOOOOO!") and I had managed to explain the plot to a housemate who walked in halfway through so it obviously wasn't as confusing as I first thought. The only way I can explain my immediate hatred of it is my brain throwing a tantrum over the extra legwork.

On to part II  TongueOut
MeManMythLegend
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »

Hmmm well, i read your review and don't agree with it at all really.  I enjoyed the movie and didn't expect it to be at all realistic.  I think more or less you went in expecting too much from an 80's horror film.  These movie are great often because they are so lame.  Much like the best comedy of all time, Steven Segal's "Exit Wounds".

I had much more fun watching Phantasm than i did reading this review.

(Oh and you can save your time coming up with a less than witty retort, because I'm not going to be wasting another second of my time here while the internet still has free pron)  
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »

(Oh and you can save your time coming up with a less than witty retort, because I'm not going to be wasting another second of my time here while the internet still has free pron)  

Mmmmm, free prawn.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2010, 12:44:32 AM »

I was rather shocked at the scene where the henchman gets the ball stuck in his skull.  We see it stick hooks in his head, then DRILL into it.  Blood ERUPTS nearly non-stop from him, then he falls on the ground in front of the kid, twitches, and his bladder breaks.  YUCKY!!!
That part, and the Tall Man going, "BOYYYYYY!!!!" are what I remember most about this film.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2010, 07:49:26 AM »

Free pron? Where does the queue start? Can't have enough pron!  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2010, 07:50:57 AM »

Is pron the sequel to tron?

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2010, 08:10:25 AM »

I thought he was hungry for shrimp, but now that you mention it, he could be a fan of Tron's less-famous brother. Kind of like the Frank Stallone of computer programs.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2010, 12:03:06 PM »

Hmmm well, i read your review and don't agree with it at all really.  I enjoyed the movie and didn't expect it to be at all realistic.  I think more or less you went in expecting too much from an 80's horror film.  These movie are great often because they are so lame.  Much like the best comedy of all time, Steven Segal's "Exit Wounds".

Another happy customer!  TeddyR

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2010, 02:23:45 AM »

Another happy customer!  TeddyR

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2010, 12:29:46 AM »

GTFO!  Hatred
TooManyCustomers
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2011, 01:49:24 PM »

Completely love this film.  This may or may not have to do with the context in which I first saw it, which was 32 hours into a weekend long party with access to all the liquor in the world at a young age... but still, it holds a warm place in my heart. And absolutely worthy of the title "So bad that it's good.." 

*will probably watch it on Netflix tonight*  Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Phantasm « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.