Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:28:11 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My Dad « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: My Dad  (Read 10550 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 11:31:20 PM »

I'm very happy for you, RC!!  I thought about you while I was up at the river today and hoped your day was going well.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

I'm glad  the day went well for you RC. I lost my Dad 20 years ago and mother 14 years ago.  There's a lot of things I wished I could have worked out with him, but it seems we always put off the things we should be talking about until it's too late.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »

Well...Dad came over today with my stepma,Mary Jo...and we had a GREAT DAY!!!! They brought a cheese cake,and we drank coffee and looked at old Christmas pictures from the 70's. Gawd....what goofy clothes we all wore! Theres even an old photo of me on my 12 birthday holding up a Bela Lugosi Remco Dracula doll...ooops-ACTION FIGURE- Lookingup(heheh!)

It was the best day EVER!!! Karma to you all! Smile
Remco?  Not Mego?  Let's see... 1962...?  12 years...?  1974 (Azrak Hamway - AHI - or Mego).  Remco's Dracula is several years later, maybe 1979...?  Scan the pic!  I'd really like to see you with that... "action figure."   TeddyR 

Okay, the old collector in me aside, it sounds wonderful that you had a good meeting with your Dad!!  I saw my own Mom today after nearly 3 years (she was 83 Thursday).  My niece turned 16 (Wednesday) so most of us were at her birthday party today including many old friends (but not ever' body...)  Lookingup  Family stuff can be tough, but I can't help but love 'em.  I had a great time, too!!

I think is was Mego...Remco-Mego! Cripes....I don't really remember the company!  BounceGiggle I do remeber I thought it was real cool! I think I also got a copy of Denis Giffords Pictorial History of Horror Films that day. (Or that mighta been a different young birthday!)

Regardless...thank you ALL very much!  You are very much the GREATEST!!!!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »

Coming from a violent childhood myself I find it hard to be objective when the abuser says he's sorry and wants to make amends.

Love and respect have to be earned regardless of the label attached to the person.  Hence, me not speaking to my mother or my middle sister any more and the fact that even though I've dealt with the past, it would still give me an inordinate amout of satisfaction to crack my deads**t stepfather over the skull with a cast iron frypan.

The forgiving part is up to of course, but just be careful it's real forgiveness you feel and not just pity for an old man or guilt because he's your dad.

So, good luck and just be calm and stay focussed and remember, he can't hurt you any more.  You've emerged from the past a healthy decent human being who has stopped the violent cycle in its tracks.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 08:50:20 PM »

Coming from a violent childhood myself I find it hard to be objective when the abuser says he's sorry and wants to make amends.

Love and respect have to be earned regardless of the label attached to the person.  Hence, me not speaking to my mother or my middle sister any more and the fact that even though I've dealt with the past, it would still give me an inordinate amout of satisfaction to crack my deads**t stepfather over the skull with a cast iron frypan.

The forgiving part is up to of course, but just be careful it's real forgiveness you feel and not just pity for an old man or guilt because he's your dad.

So, good luck and just be calm and stay focussed and remember, he can't hurt you any more.  You've emerged from the past a healthy decent human being who has stopped the violent cycle in its tracks.

You are a very wise lady. I would give you ksrms....but I can't before six hours. Thank you for your support, I really do feel that thie membebers of thid board are good freinds. Latetly I have lived like a hermit. My old freinds were drunks and druggies. Now I'm a Stone alone.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 01:46:05 AM »

Smile Hi RC: Added to this thread a little late, us guys from the Dark Continent are always late.  TeddyR

I know friends on here see me as a joker, the guy who loads up a film projector blindfolded, Captain Underpants, the guy terrorized by hyraxes and remakes of Space Mutiny, Buggedout etc. I am cheerfully that and much more,  but I do get serious sometimes, like now.

A little personal history: I was abused and abandoned by my ^%$#@  biological parents and dumped in a hospital when I was still small: nothing would stop me now kicking the living crap out of them for all the psychological hell they put me though in the last thirty years. I have had no contact with them since then: they may even have passed on.  Hatred

I was adopted by a childless family: two damn good people who were not only that but also gave a damn about an orphan and gave him a second chance in life. They are the ones I look to and look up to and they tried and succeeded in keeping me level headed. Make no mistake, they are my folks and I love them. They introduced me to cinema: what can I say?  TeddyR

Those other two bastards, however.... Hatred Hatred

I consider you to be my friend as I have said before and I am really glad that you had a great day with your Dad. I think you're a far far better person than me for actually having the guts to want to meet with him and try and work things out: I would want to perform an operation on my biological parents with a blunt rusty object.

Take care, my friend and warm hugs and blessings from South Africa.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 06:27:49 AM »

Thank you. I  thank you. i don't have a lot of freinds since I quit socializing with drunks. I live very much the life of a hermit. I consider everyone on this board a freinfd I can talk to. If not...I would not discuss such a personal subject. Sometimes it just helps to say it.

I went through something similar but instead of my father, my brother raised me and he had a difficult time controlling his habit with herion. There's a lot of love there, but also a lot of animosity. Its difficult to find peace and a common road between the two emotions. Best of luck to you

Grace

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »

Well...Dad came over today with my stepma,Mary Jo...and we had a GREAT DAY!!!! They brought a cheese cake,and we drank coffee and looked at old Christmas pictures from the 70's. Gawd....what goofy clothes we all wore! Theres even an old photo of me on my 12 birthday holding up a Bela Lugosi Remco Dracula doll...ooops-ACTION FIGURE- Lookingup(heheh!)

It was the best day EVER!!! Karma to you all! Smile

I'm really happy your worst fears were not realized.  This was almost a magical reply to your first post.  Maybe this is a new future for your family.

Unfortuantely, or maybe fortunately, I can't relate with these stories too much. My folks are in robust good health ad we enjoy a rich and loving relationship.  I do have a brother who has decided to cast us off without word as to why, but thats really all.  My wife lost her father at a very young age (she was 11) to a long illness.  I think that effected her more than she'll admit out loud.  Seeing that, I feel doubly fortunate. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »

My parents got divorced in 1975 when I was about 11 years old. We moved from a house to an apartment with our Mom. My Mom didn't like him so much that she wouldn't allow visits and refused the alimony that would come along with those visits.

We grew up very poor through our teenage years and struggled till I got a full time job and could buy my own food and cloths.

Only saw my father twice for no more that a couple hours total through the years then we saw him the day before my Mom's burial when we returned to our hometown in New York State to bury our Mom some 6 hours from New Jersey and happened to bump into him when making a quick stop somewhere. He didn't give us any info on where he was staying nor a phone number and since our father was a rather taboo subject while my Mom was alive none of us asked much more about that since we had the burial the next day. We had lunch with him at a restruant before we returned home to New Jersey. He only said he'd be in touch, but it's been 2 years and we haven't heard a word.

I remember great times all the time with my father during our early years from Auto Racing, Minor League Baseball, Fishing, Drum & Bugle Corps, Hockey, Annual County Fair, Circus, Pro Wrestling, Movies, and more. We were always doing something. Then suddenly nothing.

It was strange meeting him suddenly the day before our mothers burial and then seeing him walking away after having lunch with him. 

I remember the supernatural occurrences around the time of my Mom's burial that gave me the feeling that everything was "ok" now, but we still haven't heard from our father since. My brother doesn't seem to want to hear from him at all, but that could be due to loyalty to our Mom. I'm ok with it myself, but not sure what to make of it. Our meetings have been too brief to get anything kind of grip on things. Nothing was pursued beyond everyones curiosity. It was a good meeting because he gave us family info and I was able to later contact long lost relatives, strangely they don't even know my fathers whereabouts. He wouldn't give out much info about himself.

Maybe one day. Not sure why, but maybe.

Glad to hear RCMerchant meeting turned out good.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 12:30:57 AM »

I hope someday you see your Dad again. I know the feeling about unknown relatives....about 7 years ago my Dad hit me with the shocker that my older sister Susan was coming to meet me. I never even knew I had a sister Susan. Dad had gotton some woman pregnant in Arizona before I was born....I met her and she's a nice lady.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 04:13:38 AM »

Remember how I mentioned in a previous thread that I hadn't talked to my dad in almost 2 years?

I stopped by his auto repair shop the other day.
I was worried that he would be super p**sed at me for voluntarily not talking to him for so long, but you know what he said?
He said, "Well hello there stranger!" and held out his hand for me to shake it.
Instead, I gave him a big hug.   Smile

I thought it would be very awkward reconnecting with my dad after all this time but it wasn't.
It was like no time had passed at all.
And it was good timing on my part because it was his 64th birthday!   Cheers

We talked about a bunch of things for about an hour.

He even promised to fix my car as long as I call my stepmom (his wife) and apologize for telling her to "f**k off".
(I initially stopped all contact with them after she insulted me on the phone back in 2006)

So now I have to call her and apologize.

By the way, you guys were right about my car.  
My dad stepped on the gas pedal and immediately diagnosed the problem.
One cylinder isn't firing and the problem is either a spark plug or plug wire.
I have to take it to his shop sometime this week so I can make it to the Troll 2 screening in Chicago on Friday.

I have to thank you RC...
This thread was the kick in the ass I needed to reconnect with my dad.   Smile

Karma for you my good sir!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:00:42 AM by Ash » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 05:56:53 AM »

Dam....that's too  super cool!!! I'm very happy for you!  And thanks for giving me credit...but it wasn't me....it was YOU. You can do whatever you want....all it takes is hope and taking a step. Congratulations!   Cheers Cheers Cheers Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Smile

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My Dad « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.