Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:39:54 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Goblin Shark Attack « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Goblin Shark Attack  (Read 6478 times)
moman
Dedicated Viewer

« on: May 06, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »

Originally titled Malibu Shark Attack.)

So it's a new low budget shark attack movie to join the couple hundred already in existance and it's likely to premiere on the SciFi Channel in the US, but there's something special about this one.

First, the fact that it gives the Goblin Shark its chance to shine.

Real Goblin Shark -

Movie concept art

And that it sounds like there's potential for some awesomeness -

This one takes the genre to its inevitable next step; instead of people being attacked when they go into the water, the water comes to them. Specifically, an earthquake not only frees a swarm of huge, prehistoric sharks from beneath the ocean floor, but creates a tsunami that floods [a] beachfront community, leaving the streets under several feet of water that become the creatures’ hunting ground.

Longtime New Zealand producer Dale (CAVE IN) Bradley, supervising his first job in Australia, passed on a couple of production pics, notes that the title may return to MALIBU SHARK ATTACK and explains the moniker change, noting that his movie’s predators “are based on a species called goblin sharks, which don’t look like your normal great white. They’re very fearsome-looking creatures. Ours are actually larger than the real thing, but modeled on them for the look that the CG company is creating.

“People do catch these things,” he continues, “but ours are monsters that get released from a big underground cavern during a seaquake. The resulting tsunami washes them ashore. Not only do car parks and basements of buildings get flooded, but we have sharks inside buildings as well. There’s a recipe for something cool there.”

This production, whose backers include the Sci Fi Channel but which may receive an Aussie theatrical release, is still set in Malibu and stars local-born Peta (LA FEMME NIKITA) Wilson as lifeguard heroine Heather. Her fellow cast members include Warren Christie, Chelan (FINAL DESTINATION 3) Simmons, Sonya (BLOOD ANGELS) Salomaa, Rachel Barton, Remi Broadway, Jeff Gannon and Mungo (UNDEAD) McKay. The director is David (BLOOD OF BEASTS) Lister, with previously announced helmer Brian Trenchard-Smith still producing from a distance.

“The central characters are lifeguards on Malibu Beach,” Bradley explains, who survive the wave but get trapped under their building. The sharks know they are there and break in. There’s another great location—a construction site that’s also flooded—and the survivors manage to escape there, thinking it’s safe. But next thing, the sharks bash down the roller doors and swim inside, so they’re trapped in the basement. We’ve got a bit of ALIEN in there, and some good mayhem: amputations, people chopped in half. We shot one today featuring some lovely prosthetic work by makeup artist Sharon Robberts where a guy has lost both his legs. We’ve got another scene that’s a bit of a homage to JAWS 3-D, where we have a parasailor getting into all sorts of trouble and ending up being half the man he used to be.”

As the action gets more intense, this variation on the JAWS franchise also homages another mid-’70s genre classic, Bradley reveals. “The survivors attack the sharks with chainsaws and concrete cutters because it’s a construction site,” he says. “We got real dead sharks for those shots, but their skin is like steel. It was really hard to get a chainsaw to go through the skin of those sharks for close-ups.”
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »

They'd better not screw this up.  I've always thought Goblin sharks would be awesome movie monsters.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Neville

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »

Being the Sci-Fi Channel, I wouldn't expect anything different than their previous <insert wild animal> attack movies.

But I'll watch it anyway if it has Peta Wilson on it, just like I watched "La Femme Nikita" no matter how I hated the show.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »

But I'll watch it anyway if it has Peta Wilson on it, just like I watched "La Femme Nikita" no matter how I hated the show.

I couldn't take La Femme Nikita even for Peta, but she was very, very good in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  Sad that I don't see her in that much stuff.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Goblin Shark Attack « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.