Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:59:05 AM
714150 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What exercises work for you? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What exercises work for you?  (Read 12682 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:35 AM »

I see you like Bob as well.  I only use mine for weapons training, since I got tired of having to put it back up after every time I would hit it, since I would knock it down.

You have to fill the reservoir with water or sand. Then you can hit "Bob" as hard as you like and he won't fall.

The idea of a good strike or punch is the make contact and quickly pull the punch back which causes a rippling effect and damage to the body. If you're simply plowing through the target then you are also probably easily telegraphed, evaded, and countered by your opponent.

Mine is filled with water but it still tipped over.  It's easier for me to use it for using my arnis sticks and my tonfa with it then it was for to use it as a empty hand technique target, that's what I used my heavy bag for.

What are you doing to knock it over? Driving a truck over it?  Smile

If you completely fill it with water it will barely move and you can injure yourself. It's good to fill it partially so that it has some give. Filled up it is stiff. A heavy bag would be better than using "Bob"  completly filled up with water or sand.

We have used the Escrima sticks on "Bob". Make sure you use new clean stick or you'll rip into the rubber if you have a splintered stick.

One of the draw backs of "Bob" is that he doesn't fight back and has no arms and legs, but he's great for practicing technique.

I stand in I chuan positions.  it's sort of like an even slower versin of tai chi if you can imagine that.  it builds up your legs alot.  and I run.  that's it

We do these also Lester1/2jr  as part of our Tai Chi at the gym. We call them "stationary" postures. Our insturctor calls the one in the photo "hug a tree". If I get time I'll do a complete video on our routine for you.

Overall, though, sex is the best workout.  However, that hasn't been an option for me for a long time now.

KillerBees, give Menard a call.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 08:21:00 PM by Conan » Logged

Menard
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »

I see you like Bob as well.  I only use mine for weapons training, since I got tired of having to put it back up after every time I would hit it, since I would knock it down.

You have to fill the reservoir with water or sand. Then you can hit "Bob" as hard as you like and he won't fall.

The idea of a good strike or punch is the make contact and quickly pull the punch back which causes a rippling effect and damage to the body. If you're simply plowing through the target then you are also probably easily telegraphed, evaded, and countered by your opponent.

Mine is filled with water but it still tipped over.  It's easier for me to use it for using my arnis sticks and my tonfa with it then it was for to use it as a empty hand technique target, that's what I used my heavy bag for.

What are you doing to knock it over? Driving a truck over it?  Smile

If you completely fill it with water it will barely move and you can injure yourself. It's good to fill it partially so that it has some give. Filled up it is stiff. A heavy bag would be better than using "Bob"  completly filled up with water or sand.

We have used the Escrima sticks on "Bob". Make sure you use new clean stick or you'll rip into the rubber if you have a splintered stick.

One of the draw backs of "Bob" is that he doesn't fight back and has no arms and legs, but he's great for practicing technique.

Being that my name is "Bob"....uh...you all are making me feel uncomfortable. Buggedout

TongueOut
Scott

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 07:59:14 PM »

I can't add anything to the exercise regimens already listed, but I will add something that could very well help you with overall pain management: find a good massage therapist. I'm not talking about a "therapist" at a day spa or a hooker  TeddyR ; I mean someone who really knows what he (or she) is doing and can manipulate problem muscle areas into relaxation. If your back problems are from overusing/overtaxing the lower back muscles, a good therapist can help to relieve that. Often, even when pain is a result of injury, a good therapist can relieve much of the pain. Working out is great (I need to do more of it myself), but doing that in conjunction with a good massage schedule can really benefit the body and help with muscle tone and body balance (the body is no longer fighting itself because one part is knotted up), which results in you being able to push yourself harder in your workout. You can usually find reasonably priced massages at massage schools (in my area, they charge $40 for basic work). There are a lot of New Age types in the field, but there are also a lot of people who, like me, look at the work more as a medical aid than as some mystic experience. It's not a cure-all, but it is very helpful if you can find the right therapist. I know that it might not be in your budget right now, but consider it as you regain your financial footing.

Massage isn't a bad idea, if your really having back trouble. Add to that some warm packs and Motrin from time to time to get your started. It might be hard to jump right into a regiment of exercises if your back if really hurting you.

Being that my name is "Bob"....uh...you all are making me feel uncomfortable. Buggedout

TongueOut

No way ! ! !  Twirling

Menard
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »

Massage isn't a bad idea, if your really having back trouble. Add to that some warm packs and Motrin from time to time to get your started. It might be hard to jump right into a regiment of exercises if your back if really hurting you.

I can only take Tylenol for a pain reliever, and it doesn't do anything for inflammation.

I was taking a cheap calcium supplement, just calcium, and I should have known better; as much as I have preached to others about the importance of other minerals in order for calcium to be properly utilized by the body.

I went back to taking the Caltrate+Minerals supplement, and it helps. I was kind of p**sed at the company for changing the formula and adding Vitamin D, but I'll deal with that.

I'm going to be checking into saw palmetto. It is primarily used as a supplement for prostate problems, but its anti-inflammation capabilities that make it ideal for that have also been suggested in the use to prevent or help to alleviate muscle cramps.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »

Menard, you're better of taking extra virgin olive oil straight from the bottle.  A couple of tablespoons 3 times a day and your joints will be singing.  Plus, it's natural, cheap, easily available and you can control the dose as you see fit.  If you can't stomach it plain, then add it to a smoothie.  You won't even notice it.

Calcium is more readily absorbed when fat is present.  So if you are taking calcium tablets, wash it down with a slice of bread with butter on it.  Also, things like sunflower seeds and pine nuts are better for calcium intake than standard tablets.  Your body absorbs the vitamins from food more readily than from tablets.  And get your Vitamin D from sunlight.  About 5 mins exposure per day on your face or the back of your hands is enough.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Torgo

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »

I've got a nice exercise bike in my spare bedroom. I have it plopped right in front of my spare 20" flat screen in there and I just pop in a DVD and ride it for at least 30 minutes going about 13 to 15 miles an hour.

After that I do 3 sets of 30 stomach curls.

I'm trying to lose 30 to 40 pounds at the moment.

My weight's really ballooned in the last year and half as I got away from working out due to some back problems.   

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Menard
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »

Menard, you're better of taking extra virgin olive oil straight from the bottle.  A couple of tablespoons 3 times a day and your joints will be singing.  Plus, it's natural, cheap, easily available and you can control the dose as you see fit.  If you can't stomach it plain, then add it to a smoothie.  You won't even notice it.

Calcium is more readily absorbed when fat is present.  So if you are taking calcium tablets, wash it down with a slice of bread with butter on it.  Also, things like sunflower seeds and pine nuts are better for calcium intake than standard tablets.  Your body absorbs the vitamins from food more readily than from tablets.  And get your Vitamin D from sunlight.  About 5 mins exposure per day on your face or the back of your hands is enough.

Thank you for sharing the advice.

I am familiar with what you have said, though I think other members will find benefit from it.

Presently, a calcium supplement is cheaper than several tablespoons a day of olive oil. A caveat to point out in this is that although olive oil has been tested with positive results in improving the mobilization, and hence absorption, of calcium within the body, the key is the presence of calcium. Constituents of olive oil have also been known to be able to break-up calcifications.

A little bit of olive oil, along with a diet and/or supplementation that includes a good amount of calcium, that the body can use, can be productive, in a theoretical sense.

The opposite can be true as well. If someone regularly supplements their diet with olive oil, more than usual, but does not get that much calcium either from foods or supplements, they can lose calcium at at an increase rate.

Though I would argue that minimum supplementation* with olive oil overall has the benefits outweigh the potential risk**.

*By supplementation, I mean like a tablespoon or less a day; not several table spoons.

**Want to argue, Zap; huh...huh...? TongueOut

Vitamin D has a similar caveat. It's presence is necessary in order for the body to absorb calcium; as is the presence of magnesium and other minerals in order for the body to utilize it well. However, too much Vitamin D will push calcium out of the system.

Do keep in mind that too much Vitamin D means a lot of Vitamin D. Most of us will never even come close to the point, but someone who takes several supplements that contain Vitamin D, drinks fortified milk, eats fortified foods, and spends a good amount of time in the sun is asking for problems.

I take various supplements and am not shy of the sun. I would rather, though, that my calcium supplement did not have Vitamin D; I already get more than what I need through other sources. The Caltrate does have minerals that can benefit me in other ways as well. Some of those minerals can help to reduce the intensity tinnitus, of course if it has something to do with a deficiency of any of them, but I am hopeful anyway.

I am writing this as a generalization. I am not meaning to be presumptuous, as this is probably a lot of what you already know.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 10:01:43 PM »

Roger that, Menard.

I'm always happy to hear someone else's POV.  More info is better than none after all.  Extra virgin olive oil is reasonably affordable here, moreso than supplements.  And I use EVOO in cooking as well, so I'm sure that I get my recommended dosage.

What it boils down to is what you're comfortable using and what you can afford. Smile

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Scott

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 05:15:47 AM »

Though I haven't tried this myself I've heard good things about Shea Oil from the Shea nut grown in Africa. It's suppose to be very very good for inflamation.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 08:12:57 AM »

conan-  I don't attend any classes anymore, but if yuo ever get real into tai chi or martial arts you shuold come here to boston!  there are some tai chi and muay thai all stars here.  I particularly like the yang style tai chi of vincent chu
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What exercises work for you? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.