Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:48:02 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What exercises work for you? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What exercises work for you?  (Read 12567 times)
Menard
« on: May 13, 2008, 02:11:04 AM »

Any road to recovery is going to be comprised of different areas where one needs to concentrate their efforts.

The financial aspect is a slow process, but is very much day by day and depends very much on drive and decisions. Interestingly, fitness is not necessarily that different in its core needs: the drive to do it and realizing that it is going to be a step by step program in which miracles are not going to happen overnight. We won't discuss the mental aspect.

Outside of high school, I have generally always been in good shape and maintained an average weight range. In the past few years with everything that has gone on, I had put on weight and old injuries were raising their ugly heads; really didn't need their ugly heads as my own is more than enough TeddyR.

After things happened, for a while I found it uncomfortable to walk very far due to a nagging back problem. I recall sitting out at a yard sale I was having (borrowed yard), selling my stuff to basically survive, while some joggers passed by; I was so envious of them.

I worked as work was available and even though the back hurt quite considerably, I forced myself through. While working, a co-worker had half-jokingly said to me that I just needed to get out and work even more. Well, that struck a chord with me; knowing that the body has an amazing ability to compensate for weakness by strengthening another area, I decided to tackle the problem at the source. I started walking to the point that it was uncomfortable to continue much, and would take up the next day, and walk a little farther.

Although I can still feel the pull in my back if I push myself too much, I can pretty much walk as far as I want now.

I decided to apply the same technique for my knee (let's just say that a bad decision 13 years ago trying to carry too much weight up a flight of stairs led to that). I have generally been wary of trying to lift with my legs, as recommended to avoid injury to your back, because of my knee. Even though I walk a lot while working and such, that does not flex the muscles around the knees.

I started doing leg squats, which I really didn't want to do as the knee hurt while doing them, and leg lifts to flex and workout those joints. I can lift better with my legs and my knee is not bothering me as much when I am doing the squats.

*Please note that this is not a recommendation for someone to always apply exercise to an injury to improve it; there are some injuries that will not respond that positively, and may even be worsened.

Being that I have been successful, so far, in overcoming some injuries, I have gotten further into physical fitness.

One of my issues at present is that I don't have a lot of space, and certainly cannot afford a gym membership; so I have compromised with some home exercise equipment that is compact.

I initially started working out with dumbbells (smartasses TongueOut). I have recently acquired an inexpensive incline bench which has a folding front leg that will allow my to store the bench up against the wall to get it out of the way; I just place the dumbbells under the bench when it is up against the wall.

The dumbbells are, lbs each: 10, 20, and 40. I use the 10s and 20s on the bench and for some standing exercises. I only use the 40s for standing exercises (I primarily got the 40s for strength training due to having to lift totes up to 45lbs when working and it has helped to make that task easier).

Being that the bench does not have a leg curl bar, I have improvised by getting a set of ankle weights that weigh 10 lbs each; I can duplicate the motions I would normally use with a curl bar, but using the ankle weights instead.

The bench does have crunch bars as well for doing abdominal crunches. I am doing those with the bench flat, but will eventually, hopefully, try them with the bench in the fully declined position; that is as close as I will ever come to doing inverted sit-ups.

Other equipment I have includes a power twister bar (big spring with handles that you bend into a U shape) that I have had for 10 years, some hand grips, and a lighter set of ankle weights and padded dumbbells.

With chaotic work schedules, I don't really have an exercise regimen setup; just as I can. I would like to get a regimen going of working out with the weights 3 days a week (which is about what I am doing now) on regular days, and use the off days for walking, isometric, and weight-free exercises.

Now we all know that Andrew runs about every morning for 500 miles across three states. Aside from extremes like that, though, I am wondering what exercises you all implement into your schedules.

Do you have a regular routine, or do you have to find time around your work and life schedule?

Do you have limited space, and how do you compensate for that?

If you have been maintaining exercise for a while, what has and has not worked for you?

Think of any other question and answer it. TongueOut

*Okay, like damn that was long. Sorry, got carried away.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:20:32 AM »

Here's the workouts I do:

2 Sets Each Exercise
12 - 15 Reps.

Workout A

Squat
Stiff Leg Deadlift
Dips (Assisted)
Bent Over Row (Close Grip, Palms Up)
Dumbell Ovehead Press (Seated)
Pull Ups (Assisted)
Weighted Crunch

Workout B

Front Squat
Deadlift
Flat Bench Press
One Arm Row
Military Press (Standing)
Chin Ups (Assisted)
Weighted Reverse Crunch

If you don't know how some of those exercises are performed, I'd be happy to explain.  If you've got a bad back, you might want to avoid the stiff leg deadlifts and bent over barbell rows.  Though regular deadlifts, if performed with light weights and then very slowly increased over a long period of time, can really strengthen the back.

This is actually one-fourth of a year long training program which can be found over here:  http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=322699

I work out Monday Wednesday and Friday (Well, I have been REALLY lazy lately, but...).  One week it's Workouts A, B, then A, the next week it's workout B, A, then B.  I used to do 8-10 reps of each exercise, but the problem was I was always trying to improve on what I lifted a couple weeks before, and I'd end up with so many pulled muscles it was pathetic (I'm 43 years old, when I was in my 20s this wasn't a problem).  When I go with 12-15 reps, the weights I lift are lighter, which seems to have helped a lot with the injuries. 

The workout is sort of tailored around preventing further injuries.  The pullups and dips tend to give me shoulder problems if I do them normally, so I put a stool under my feet and give myself a little assistance with my legs.  I still get all the muscle work, but it relieves just enough stress on the joints so that I don't hurt myself. 

The workouts basically hit the legs, chest, back, shoulders and abs (the biceps get hit with any back work and the triceps get it with any chest or shoulder work).  All the major muscle groups.  Overall I find this workout to be pretty effective - when performed on a regular basis over a long period of time.  For about 2 years I stuck to the routine pretty well (with a week to a month off here and there for injuries - Since I went to 12-15 reps I haven't had a single injury.).  I switch to a different workout every 3 months (see link).  This not only keeps me from getting bored, but hitting the muscles with a new workout stimulates further muscle growth. 

For equipment, My old cheap benches were creaking and groaning, so I finally had to get a better bench, like this:

You can flip the bench forward and use it for a squat rack, which is really nice.  I got some steel barbells with a nice chrome plated bar.  When I need more weight I go to Sears and pick up a few more plates.  I've got all my workout stuff in the luandry room, a dark, cramped little place but as long as the rock 'n' roll is blasting, and it's only a half hour a day three times a week, well, it's not that bad.

One thing that's important with bodybuilding is nutrition.  If you want to increase the size of your muscles, lifting the weights just "breaks them down" so to speak.  The muscles grow and get stronger in the time between the workouts, when you're eating food and sleeping.  I found those whey protein shakes to be really helpful (There's a zillion brands and flavors here:  http://bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html )  I just mix one up and then drink it immediately after my workout, when the muscles could really use a big blast of protein.  I get noticeably better results when I use them.  And of course the price just went way up about a year ago  Hatred
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:50:25 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »

I stand in I chuan positions.  it's sort of like an even slower versin of tai chi if you can imagine that.  it builds up your legs alot.  and I run.  that's it

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:12:32 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Mike Noga
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:32:19 AM »

I used to lift weights seriouslty and really enjoyed it. Then I got slack in that area as sometimes happens and wound up terribly out of shape. I ended up having am emergency angiogram. Luckily I had normal heart function but I needed to start taking my health seriously. I didn't have time or money for a real gym/weight workout so I investigated body weight workouts. I eventually found a book called "Pushing Yourself to Power" which is based in part on those old charles Atlas exercises. I was pretty skeptical at first but he book was only a few dollars so I figured what the hell. It worked out well. I do push ups, squats,lunges,crunches and am working toward doing chin ups and dips. I also do ismoetrics and something called DVR's, which is basically flexing your muscles intensely through specific movements. i don't think it is as effective in building muscle as properly performed weight training, but it does produce results,it's cheap and quick and requires very little space. I know I'm stronger than I have been in years and also more limber. I don't feel as bulky and slow as when I was doing heavy weight training. And I've lost plenty of fat, almost 60 pounds worth in about a year. I also walk 30-45 minutes a day and maybe upto 2 hours on weekends if time permits. To keep from getting bored when I go for long walks I might use a variety of trails in the area and sometimes I'll take the train into Chicago and walk througthe various neighborhoods, checking out the surroundings. Sometimes I take my music with me, sometimes I don't. When I get into better shape I'll probably start some weight training again but for now the body weight and DVR stuff is working out great. Woody Strode said he was a body weight guy. He did 1000 push-ups,sit-ups and squats a day in his prime. He looked pretty good. I think the key is to experiment and find the traing modality that works best for you, and of course that's the modality that you'll keep doing. Good luck Menard.
JJ80
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:17:24 AM »

Stick in there Menard!

I prefer press-ups, squats, a small amount of weight-lifting and I like using the rowing machine.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »

I do not often use much exercise equipment, beyond a weight bench.  You can do a lot with just your body and a pair of dumbbells.  Running is something I do almost daily, though biking or swimming are just as good for getting the aerobic workout.  My wife prefers the elliptical for that.

Out in the grass, I can do push ups, lunges, steam engines, sit ups & crunches (straight and obliques), leg lifts (hello Dollys, regular lifts, alternating), and, given a straight bar, pull ups.  With a set of dumbells, I can go crazy working out my arms, shoulders, and calves and thighs to an extent.  Pretty minimal gear required.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »

When I could still work out like crazy before my surgeries I used to do lots of different things.  I did a good bit of weight lifting after I got out of college up until my first surgery.  When I was still able to attend karate classes before all my health problems, I used to do lots of push ups and sits ups and other abdominal drills.  Running stairs, using a jump rope , heavy bag drills, medicine balls, and using the speed bag were always my favorite things to do.

At home I usually did various dumbbell exercises along with heavy bag drills and I used to exercise bands as well when I didn't feel like picking up dumbbells and when my hands were wrapped.

I mainly used the machines at the gym since I don't use a partner at the gym, and I would always finish my workouts with some time on the stationary bike which I always loved.

I really don't like just running in general since I find it boring, plus my left ankle gets sore if I run or move around a bunch.

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 01:05:43 PM »

Lots of good work outs mentioned here already.  Thumbup

Menard, right now I'm in the process of getting back in shape from my gallbladder surgery last October. Came back to the gym about 1 month after my surgery starting with ecliptic machines (you can continue walking) and Tai Chi classes. Then about 2 months I began lifting lite Nautilus weights because the movements are supported by the machine and don't require any abdominal effort. About the 3rd month I began doing lite abdominal excersises. Been careful since I don't really know how much is to much, because they say it takes 1 year to heal completely and 90% at 3 months. If I over due things (like I normally do) I could tear something and end up having surgery again to repair it which would set me back another year. Instead of a 1 year set back it would become a 2 years set back, so patients towards recovery is important. It doesn't matter what other people think. I only told a couple people at the gym about my surgery and if everyone else wants to think I'm "wimping out" at the gym with the lite weights then that's ok because I know what my fitness goals are. People tend to go over board with weights because it just seems like the next step. 

Menard, your exercise routine should depend on your fitness goals. Some want to loose weight, others want to bulk up, but for myself I just want to be tone, flexible, with some fair cardio abilities. A lot of fitness depends on your genetics. Many like to bulk up which can be done with the right routines and supplements. This is a waste of time in my opinion for a few reasons. One is that you have to maintain the unnatural muscle or it becomes flab. The other reason is to look good for the ladies. This is ok, but again in the end you are wasting your time with these types. Look for a girl who lifts books and likes to work out as well.

There is no rush to get in shape and we don't need gyms to stay in shape. Consistant, methodical, and gradual routines leading towards appropriate body weight according to your height. The reason I say slow is because if your rush getting into shape you may injure yourself and delay your fitness goals.

As far as back problems:

1.) Check with your doctor.

2.) Work you core (abdominal) muscles as this will strengthen you back muscles.

3.) Stretch the hamstrings and calf muscles before and after workouts.

These three things should help your back.

About your walking routine.

1.) Continue your walking.

2.) Add some jogging (when ready) increasing the distance weekly.

3.) Eventually sprinting, stopping, sprinting.

4.) Bicycling

Before I started with the gym I use to do push-up, sit-ups, jogging, and working out with "Bob" my rubber knock-out buddy.

There are many many abdominal exercises to strengthen your core muscles. Don't do the old fashioned sit-up as it may injure your lower back more. Learn the wide variety of safer abdominal exercises.

With the gym I've added Yoga, Tai Chi, and Weights (when able). Weights are good if you know when to stop.

Take up a martial arts class when able. It's rough on the joints though and can result in those long lasting nagging injuries. It may give you more insight on the whole physical fitness thing.

You also have to balance physical exercise with spiritual exercise. Being in shape tends to make the spirit arrogant. That's why monks (not the Shaolin type  Smile, yet) mortified their bodies to some degree to get closer to their eternal idea of spiritual well being. Fitness isn't everything.

When you are in the right shape and your ready. You can push your extreme limits if you wish. 

Eat moderate meals. Sweat a little. Do what you can on a regular basis, but don't over do it. Sounds like you already have a good idea about where your going with this. Live long a prosper Menard.  Smile
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:13:16 PM by Conan » Logged

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »

Lots of good work outs mentioned here already.  Thumbup

Menard, right now I'm in the process of getting back in shape from my gallbladder surgery last October. Came back to the gym about 1 month after my surgery starting with ecliptic machines (you can continue walking) and Tai Chi classes. Then about 2 months I began lifting lite Nautilus weights because the movements are supported by the machine and don't require any abdominal effort. About the 3rd month I began doing lite abdominal excersises. Been careful since I don't really know how much is to much, because they say it takes 1 year to heal completely and 90% at 3 months. If I over due things (like I normally do) I could tear something and end up having surgery again to repair it which would set me back another year. Instead of a 1 year set back it would become a 2 years set back, so patients towards recovery is important. It doesn't matter what other people think. I only told a couple people at the gym about my surgery and if everyone else wants to think I'm "wimping out" at the gym with the lite weights then that's ok because I know what my fitness goals are. People tend to go over board with weights because it just seems like the next step. 

Menard, your exercise routine should depend on your fitness goals. Some want to loose weight, others want to bulk up, but for myself I just want to be tone, flexible, with some fair cardio abilities. A lot of fitness depends on your genetics. Many like to bulk up which can be done with the right routines and supplements. This is a waste of time in my opinion for a few reasons. One is that you have to maintain the unnatural muscle or it becomes flab. The other reason is to look good for the ladies. This is ok, but again in the end you are wasting your time with these types. Look for a girl who lifts books and likes to work out as well.

There is no rush to get in shape and we don't need gyms to stay in shape. Consistant, methodical, and gradual routines leading towards appropriate body weight according to your height. The reason I say slow is because if your rush getting into shape you may injure yourself and delay your fitness goals.

As far as back problems:

1.) Check with your doctor.

2.) Work you core (abdominal) muscles as this will strengthen you back muscles.

3.) Stretch the hamstrings and calf muscles before and after workouts.

These three things should help your back.

About your walking routine.

1.) Continue your walking.

2.) Add some jogging (when ready) increasing the distance weekly.

3.) Eventually sprinting, stopping, sprinting.

4.) Bicycling

Before I started with the gym I use to do push-up, sit-ups, jogging, and working out with "Bob" my rubber knock-out buddy.

There are many many abdominal exercises to strengthen your core muscles. Don't do the old fashioned sit-up as it may injure your lower back more. Learn the wide variety of safer abdominal exercises.

With the gym I've added Yoga, Tai Chi, and Weights (when able). Weights are good if you know when to stop.

Take up a martial arts class when able. It's rough on the joints though and can result in those long lasting nagging injuries. It may give you more insight on the whole physical fitness thing.

You also have to balance physical exercise with spiritual exercise. Being in shape tends to make the spirit arrogant. That's why monks (not the Shaolin type  Smile, yet) mortified their bodies to some degree to get closer to their eternal idea of spiritual well being. Fitness isn't everything.

When you are in the right shape and your ready. You can push your extreme limits if you wish. 

Eat moderate meals. Sweat a little. Do what you can on a regular basis, but don't over do it. Sounds like you already have a good idea about where your going with this. Live long a prosper Menard.  Smile

I see you like Bob as well.  I only use mine for weapons training, since I got tired of having to put it back up after every time I would hit it, since I would knock it down.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »

Pre-baby, I used to do a mix of cardio, swimming (laps) and wieghts 5-6 days a week.  now I'm lucky to get 3 days in, and I have suffered too.  My knees hurt more, and my stamina is shot.  I want to get back on it, exercise is all I haveto keep me within tolerable wieght limits.  I'm the most active tubby man out there!
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »

I see you like Bob as well.  I only use mine for weapons training, since I got tired of having to put it back up after every time I would hit it, since I would knock it down.

You have to fill the reservoir with water or sand. Then you can hit "Bob" as hard as you like and he won't fall.

The idea of a good strike or punch is the make contact and quickly pull the punch back which causes a rippling effect and damage to the body. If you're simply plowing through the target then you are also probably easily telegraphed, evaded, and countered by your opponent.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:36:55 PM by Conan » Logged

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 04:45:38 PM »

I can't add anything to the exercise regimens already listed, but I will add something that could very well help you with overall pain management: find a good massage therapist. I'm not talking about a "therapist" at a day spa or a hooker  TeddyR ; I mean someone who really knows what he (or she) is doing and can manipulate problem muscle areas into relaxation. If your back problems are from overusing/overtaxing the lower back muscles, a good therapist can help to relieve that. Often, even when pain is a result of injury, a good therapist can relieve much of the pain. Working out is great (I need to do more of it myself), but doing that in conjunction with a good massage schedule can really benefit the body and help with muscle tone and body balance (the body is no longer fighting itself because one part is knotted up), which results in you being able to push yourself harder in your workout. You can usually find reasonably priced massages at massage schools (in my area, they charge $40 for basic work). There are a lot of New Age types in the field, but there are also a lot of people who, like me, look at the work more as a medical aid than as some mystic experience. It's not a cure-all, but it is very helpful if you can find the right therapist. I know that it might not be in your budget right now, but consider it as you regain your financial footing.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 07:26:05 PM »

You have to fill the reservoir with water or sand. Then you can hit "Bob" as hard as you like and he won't fall.

The idea of a good strike or punch is the make contact and quickly pull the punch back which causes a rippling effect and damage to the body. If you're simply plowing through the target then you are also probably easily telegraphed, evaded, and countered by your opponent.

Mine is filled with water but it still tipped over.  It's easier for me to use it for using my arnis sticks and my tonfa with it then it was for to use it as a empty hand technique target, that's what I used my heavy bag for.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 07:32:31 PM »

I've always seriously hated exercise.  But I find that walking does wonders for me.  I drop weight easily and I feel better.  Once that happens, I get into the Pilates.  It's great for strengthening your core and your back in a gentle way.  Then you walk straigther and sit straighter and you feel really strong.

Pilates also helps with flexibility which feels nice when you can maneouvre your body without even thinking about it.

Overall, though, sex is the best workout.  However, that hasn't been an option for me for a long time now.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 04:30:38 AM »

I ride a bike everywhere I go. Not for exercise purposes, that's just how I roll.

I was concerned a few years ago when I lost a bunch of weight. My father lost quite a bit of weight before he discovered he was diabetic. As both my parents are diabetic now, I was concerned. Turns out the mixture of switching to diet soda (I drink a lot of soda) mixed with moving to a place where I have to ride roughly thirty minutes to work and thirty minutes back were the ticket to easy weight loss.

In all honesty, if I gave up beer I would easily lose another ten pounds without trying.

I'm lucky in that I don't have to compensate for any injuries. I think the best route to go is to just keep an active lifestyle and pay attention to your diet. Eat what you want, just eat less of it and with more vegetables.

If you can manage it, switch to a bicycle for travel. If you give yourself time to cool down and switch clothes, the hygiene issue almost becomes nil (and I ride in 110 degree Phoenix weather). You save on gas and you will find yourself losing weight and fitter almost without any work.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly recommend strength workouts, but I think integrating regular exercise into your life is the most effective way to manage health.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What exercises work for you? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.