Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:30:21 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "We must never appease terrorists!!" « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: "We must never appease terrorists!!"  (Read 32476 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »

Like I said, not much difference in the two parties.  They each have to pander to thier constituents which are typically the far fringe elements of said parties.

Our representatives care more about raising money to keep their campaign chests full than they do for doing what's right. It's all about political expediency.

I have no doubt that some sincere idealistic people get elected, but once they are in the system they must learn to operate within in it. They learn to play the game or they have no chance at making  even the slightest difference.

Moderation has been thrown to the wind and only the Right Wingnuts and the Leftist Liberals can be heard any more.  These two groups yelling at each other are the only political discourse that get carried by the media.

Sound cynical, you bet!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2008, 03:18:47 PM »

trekgeezer-  agreed.  not a dimes worth of difference between the two.  the right wants endless wars and warrentless wiretapping.  the left wants universal healthcare and "the fairness doctorine" so there awful radio shows can get life support.  bigger, more invasive government either way.

I saw a committee hearing on cspan.  chuck schumer was begging ben bernanke to cut interest rates so that his constituents, consumers,  could get some trickle down cash to buy christmas presents. sam brownback was begging for the same so his constituents,  businessowners, could get the same for the same reason. 

so they cut the rates.  now if you had 10,000 dollars in the bank it  buys much less than it would have before they cut the rates.

ultra short term thinking
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »

so they cut the rates.  now if you had 10,000 dollars in the bank it  buys much less than it would have before they cut the rates.

Buggedout Honestly, I'm speechless. You apparently learned nothing the last time the whole saving vs. spending thing was debated, so I won't bother repeating myself. But I will say that unless you're extremely wealthy or an old man without too many years left, keeping $10,000 in a savings account, collecting nothing but interest, is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The bank would be making money on it, but you wouldn't be doing much better than if you stuffed it in a mattress.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:25:38 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »

Actually, Lester, I will agree - the Republicans abandoned some of their principles when they had been in the majority a couple of years.  The whole warrantless wiretap thing is way overblown - all the Bush administration sought permission to do was monitor the communications of those in the U.S. who were contacting KNOWN terrorist operatives overseas.  How anyone could object to that is beyond me . . .  I mean, the Bill of Rights is not a suicide pact!

But I agree, the Republican Congress showed all the spending discipline of a drunken sailor in Tijuana.  But they did do some GREAT things early on, including the balanced budget and welfare reform that Clinton so proudly took all the credit for.  I am hoping our time in the wilderness will teach my party a lesson and return us to our basic principles of national security and fiscal discipline.

As far as the corrupting influence of Washington, Dave Barry has a wonderful chapter on the growth of government and government spending in his marvelous book, DAVE BARRY HITS BELOW THE BELTWAY.  It is one of most painfully funny books on government ever written, and I read a chapter to my U.S. government class every couple of weeks last semester.

As far as the Cthulhu/Sauron/Zod ticket goes, I'll say this - McCain might not be a cyclopean blasphemous deity from another dimension, but he is definitely one of the Old Ones!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2008, 07:12:26 PM »

"we have had zero terrorist attacks on our own soil"

You must define terrorist attacks differently because I distinctly remember a few anthrax attacks, the Columbus OH freeway sniper, the Washington DC snipers, a terrible Amish school shooting, and the VT school shooting just to name a few. 

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2008, 07:13:15 PM »

"since Bush took the fight to the enemy"

He attacked Saudi Arabia and Egypt?  I was not aware.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2008, 07:15:28 PM »

"BTW, the incredible spike in gas prices did not start until Democrats won control of Congress."

Didn't you just say you were a school teacher?  Democrats don't "control" congress w/51% (w/one turncoat democrat Joe counted or not) - doesn't there need to be a 3/4 vote to pass anything in either branch?  Not to mention the power of Bush's veto.  I mean, I could be wrong on those percentages but Democrats don't "control" Congress.  Nice talking point though.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »

I don't define domestic crimes like those you mention as terrorism, at least not large scale attacks like 9/11, the Madrid bombings, and the first attempt on the WTC in 1993.  

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2008, 07:19:25 PM »

"BTW, the incredible spike in gas prices did not start until Democrats won control of Congress."

Didn't you just say you were a school teacher?  Democrats don't "control" congress w/51% (w/one turncoat democrat Joe counted or not) - doesn't there need to be a 3/4 vote to pass anything in either branch?  Not to mention the power of Bush's veto.  I mean, I could be wrong on those percentages but Democrats don't "control" Congress.  Nice talking point though.

A simple majority is all that is required to pass a bill in either House of Congress.  The Democrats have, at the moment, a 52-46 majority in the Senate, with two independents (Jim Jeffords, ex-republican, Joe Lieberman, ex-Democrat).  They have about a 16 seat majority in the House.  It is true that Bush can wield the veto pen on particularly disagreeable measures, but he has been more restrained in its use than I would have been.  Plus quite a few Republicans in vulnerable seats will vote against him, either on principle or to show their constituents how independent they are.

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2008, 07:19:43 PM »

I don't define domestic crimes like those you mention as terrorism, at least not large scale attacks like 9/11, the Madrid bombings, and the first attempt on the WTC in 1993.  

I see...rather convenient don't you think?  And since they never caught the Anthrax attackers, how do you know they were domestic in origin?  I bet if you asked any of the victims or family of the victims, they would disagree with your assessment.  I bet those situations were very terrifying indeed.

Terrorism is terrorism (like the Oklahoma City bombing) domestic, international, small, largescale or not.   All of those attacks were crimes ...and acts of terrorism.  To say we haven't had any terrorist attacks on our soil since 9/11 just isn't true.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 07:23:17 PM by clockworkcanary » Logged

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

All crime is terrifying to the victim.  I am not attempting to belittle their suffering.  What I am pointing out is that, since the enemy is focusing his efforts on driving us out of Iraq, and losing thousands of his Islamofascist foot soldiers in the process, they seem to have lost the capability to carry out large scale attacks on U.S. civilians. 

Bin Laden has repeatedly expressed his desire to create an "American Hiroshima", to kill off  tens of thousands of Americans in a single devastating attack.  He even commented in one conversation that he hoped to kill at least 10,000 American children in such a Holocaust, to cripple the "Great Satan" for the next generation.  Islamic extremists are the Nazis of the 21st century, and the world will not be safe until they are either exterminated or rendered incapable of carrying out large-scale acts of terrorism.

Bush is not a perfect man, but he is the first president who has actually had the guts to attack Islamic terrorism in its native breeding ground.  He has his foot on the snake, and it may be thrashing about and striking, but at least we are in a position now to deal it a mortal blow.  Beats the heck out of lobbing missiles into an empty training camp and an aspirin factory.  Would Gore or Kerry have had the guts for this kind of fight, with all the wimps and lefties that seem to thrive in the Democratic party?  I doubt it.

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »

I'm sorry but none of what you have said makes any of those other attacks any less of a terrorist act.  If you want to say that we've not had any "known" terrorist attacks from Bin Ladin, that might be one thing, but to say we've had no terrorist attacks on our soil isn't true, except from an Orwellian word-spin point of view.

I distinctly remember the Oklahoma City Bombing as being a home-grown terrorist attack and labeled as such from darn near about everyone from the entire US political spectrum.

"Islamofascist" - cute Orwellian wordsmithing example :)  Is not fascism an economic system? 

"Islamic extremists are the Nazis of the 21st century" - well, I agree that they are both "bad" but to pair negative stimuli just to make a point is rather disengenious.  They are totally not the threat that the Nazi regime was -they don't have the manpower, they don't have the military complex, and they don't have the resources.  This is why they use terrorist tactics.

"Bush is not a perfect man, but he is the first president who has actually had the guts to attack Islamic terrorism in its native breeding ground."

Selectively attacking maybe, when convenient.  Perhaps he should have started in Saudi Arabia where the majority of the 9/11 hijackers originated?  You know, where they teach their children to hate us?  Why was he a cafeteria attacker?  See, no one opposed attacking the Taliban asshats (an ultra-conservative, religious rightwing group of fanatics) in Afganistan (well few might have but not many).  But Iraq was a bungling distraction -machoism, rumored to have been planned before 9/11.  It was to win a quick victory and for revenge (because revenge always solves problems).  It has in effect created more terrorists and definitely made more people hate us in the long run.  Not much for little Iraqis to do but hate us when we've bombed their infrastructure, destroyed their power and light, killed their older brothers, and wrecked their economy ...all to just get back at a guy we helped put in power in the first place.

At least Bush Sr. knew not to even try to occupy and used containment surgical strikes.  Hell, the Bush administration (what's left of them...he can't keep a cabinet tother) even admitted they didn't have any post war plans and underestimated the situation.  You can't win someone else's civil war especially if you don't understand the culture.  Cowboy machoism only p**ses people off.  But Bush apologists never cease to amaze me with their mental gymastic excuses for this guy.  You must be the last remaining 28%.  I suppose you're among the 9% who like Dick Cheney?

"Would Gore or Kerry have had the guts for this kind of fight, with all the wimps and lefties that seem to thrive in the Democratic party?  I doubt it."

You mean the leftie wimp, John Kerry, who actually went to war and got wounded while Mr. 9% Cheney filled out 5 deferrment requests while Bush, the war hero protected the skies of Alabama from the Vietcong?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 07:53:19 PM by clockworkcanary » Logged

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »

I still get a kick out of it every time somebody plays the interview with Cheney where he says that invading Iraq would just be a massive cluster f*ck and the stupidest possible action anyone could take... until it comes to sacrificing thousands of American lives in an effort to makes a fortune off someone else's oil... which it looks like they couldn't even get that right... Forget "egg" on your face, I'd say Cheney's got the whole chicken Super Glued to him. BounceGiggle

Oh well, if nothing else, hopefully future generations will be able to use this as a learning experience about how hard it is to erase a few thousand years of someone else's culture and attempt to replace it with a version of our own way of doing things that's only been around for a couple hundred... and apparently still isn't quite working well enough to keep everybody happy... not that anything can keep everybody happy all of the time... and, as an American consumer, I don't see myself trading it for anywhere else in the world... because the chemicals in the fast food and the subliminal messages in the entertainment industry have made me completely dependent on the things that make me one of the overweight, under health cared members of the global community that every body else hates or laughs at... heh.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2008, 09:22:24 PM »

At least we are free to alternately bash or defend our leaders   . . . .

which no one in Iran is.  Karma to you both for exercising freedom of speech!

(that being said, I still think you are mostly wrong. Clockwork, read back on this thread to some earlier comments I made about the Saudis, I don't feel like repeating my fairly detailed statement on why taking out the Saudi gov't would be a much worse nightmare than Iraq)

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »

Well Karma back atchya - gotta love the right to vent :)

But you have yet to make the case on why we invaded Iraq for the 9/11 terrorist attacks.  Invading Saudi Arabia isn't what I'm suggesting really; I'm just saying that invading a country that had nothing to do with the attacks was just downright dumb. 

Ask yourself this question: was Osama Bin Ladin angered, saddened, or happy that Bush attacked Iraq, one of his other enemies?  I'm betting he was overjoyed at Bush's downright stupidity.  Al Queda wasn't there until after the attack.  Bush played right into his hands, bleeding our troops, squandering our resources, showing the world our tactics and arms, while recruiting a great many more potential terrorists.  We could have finished the job in Afghanistan by now if it wasn't for that mess.  But no, we had to lump 'em all together and try to look tough.  Sometimes it's better to fight smarter than look all macho.  Hate only breeds more hate. 

And just curious: I'm mostly wrong about what? The reasons Bush invaded Iraq? Well, we're certain it isn't because they attacked us first.  We'll never know why because they keep moving the goal posts and playing word games. 

Am I wrong about what constitutes a "terrorist" attack?  Don't think so -terrorist attacks aren't just "big" attacks by middle-eastern brown folks, I'm afraid.  You don't get to just redefine terms to suit your argument.

Wrong about the Taliban being a right-wing religious fanatic group? 

Wrong about Kerry actually serving his country while Cheney wussed out and Bush served in the safety of Alabama?  Yet Kerry's toughness, patriotism, and service duty were actually ended up being in question?  Absurd.

Am I wrong about Bush being an absolute moron, who can't even pronounce 'nuclear' or his own middle initial -who probably didn't know the difference between Iran and Iraq, politically or geographically?  The cowboy cheerleader fratboy who went to the same Ivy League school as Kerry.

Sorry, Bush was no Ronald Reagan, who appeased the USSR by talking with them.  Hell, Bush was no Richard Nixon, the guy who appeased China by having talks with them.  Bush was a schmuck riding Daddy's coattails, who had a great propaganda minister named Karl Rove. 

Clinton sucked a big one too (I went off about him all last decade heh) but I can't for the life of me see how anyone could still be making excuses for "Dubya."

Oh and here's what this winner thinks of you and the voting public:
Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:24:51 PM by clockworkcanary » Logged

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "We must never appease terrorists!!" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.