Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:54:18 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bird Feeders « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bird Feeders  (Read 4250 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 19, 2008, 07:50:25 AM »

The post on gardens got me thinking - anybody have bird feeders, and what kind of birds do you get?

We've got a small feeder for Finches.

Copyrighted image removed at request of copyright owner:

http://www.birdingmaine.com

Sometimes there's a dozen of them in our lilac bush, which is in full bloom right now.  All those little yellow birds surrounded by the purple lilacs, quite pretty.  The feeder also attracts the occasional cardinal, lots of sparrows and wrens.  The funniest thing was when a woodpecker tried to eat out of it.  He was too big for the feeder, so he was standing there upside down, pecking on the bottom of the feeder.  Silly bird brain!  The downside is that by the end of the year, there's a pile of empty seed casings 3' in diameter and about 4" deep under the feeder.  There are some doves that seem to like to eat the stuff off the ground.  Grackles too.  We had a few rose Breasted Grosbeaks there a while ago.

http://www.birdersworld.com/objects/images/brdpw040829.jpg

But the little traitors went over to the neighbors feeder now.   Hatred

We've also got a humming bird feeder.  When we put it up two years ago, it took a couple months before the first on showed up, but when they found it, wow, they were like a swarm of bumble bees around the thing.

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/slides/hummingbird.jpg

This year we put up an oriole feeder.  It's like a hummingbird feeder, you mix some sugar stuff in water for their nectar.  We've got another feeder that I hang slices of oranges on.  They love the oranges, we get one or two every day.  Don't care much for the feeder though, they mostly just sit on top of it.

http://presidentavenue.com/yardbirds/baltimore_oriole.jpg

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:27:44 AM by Andrew » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:57:02 AM »

Karma! for the Oriole photo!

We've had a few of these hanging around the last couple of years and couldn't figure out what the heck they were. My best guess was "Mutant Robin".  TeddyR

We have a couple of humming bird feeders made from wine bottles I bought at a local crafts fair. The little buggers swarm around them like flies and can be down right vicious with each other over the things. They often engage in WWI-style aerial dogfights over supremacy of the feeder. I swear I once saw one of the little devils spear a butterfly in mid-flight.

There are some really striking little birds we can't indentify. They are small, about finch-sized. but are an almost solid electric blue with some black markings. I don't think they are 'regular' bluebirds - there are plenty of those around, too.

My favorite birds that hang around the property are the pileated woodpeckers. The things are enormous - they look like somebody stuck a big woodpecker head on a crow's body. They like to pound on the fence posts and yell at the horses and dogs. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:21:02 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »

I have one outside my spare room window.  We get a lot of chickadees and sparrows with the occasional goldfinch showing up.  I've put up suet in the past and thats seems to get the starlings attacking it mostly.  The cardinals and bluejays seems to invade my blueberry bushes often but I don't mind too much.  Theres enough to go around.  If I could just keep the cat away from birds that would be nice. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:41:35 AM »

The finches are almost as bad as the humming birds.  We'll have 10 or 15 of them hanging around the feeder, and there's room for 4 of them at once - if they'd share, which they won't.  They spend about 10% of their time eating and 90% chasing each other away.  The feeder is huge in comparison to the birds, but hey, it's all mine!  You guys get outta here!   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:46:12 AM »

I like birds and my wife and kids are bird watchers, so I built a feeding a station for them to watch birds. And I plant about a half an acre of sun flowers and other feeder flowers, those draw in the birds in droves.

We get the Golden Finch, Purple Finch, Chickadees, Cardinals, Titmouse, Nuthutchs, Woodpickers and about 100 more. Where I live there are a number of rare birds and the area is protected. I have a Red Tailed Hawk the live on the edge of the yard, and a Paragon Falcon that I see quite often, down by the lake they are bald eagles that nest there every year, I'm guessing spill over from the large nesting ground over at Reelfoot Lake. And at night you can here different owls and Nightingales.

These aren't endangered, because I'm being overrun with them this year, The Indigo Bunting.

edit typo
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:06:44 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »

those birds on 60 minutes on sunday were dope.  bird of paradise and some other thing doing funky mating dances
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »

These are endangered, because I'm being overrun with them this year, The Indigo Bunting.

Hey, those are the guys! Thanks!  Thumbup

We have a pair of red-tailed hawks who nest every year at the edge of the field in front of the house, and of course, ugly turkey vultures by the score. We occasionally get wading birds in the spring from nearby Center Hill Lake but no bald eagles yet, unfortunately.

The oddest bird I've seen out here are . . . feral peacocks. Early one morning about a month after moving to the hollow (or holler  Smile) I saw three or four of the things walking alongside the road. I told my neighbor I'd seen a gaggle of peacocks and she of course laughed at me and said I'd probably seen some wild turkeys. "Turkeys don't have shiny blue heads or deely-boppers on their noggins!" I told her. She still insisted I'd seen turkeys - until about a week later she saw the peacocks rooting around in her garden!

They seem to live deep in the woods and only walk around in public occasionally, but ever once in a while you can hear their unmistakable screech. I knew what it was right off 'cause I'd seen THE SCREAMING SKULL.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »

I said those are endangered, that is a TYPO they are NOT endangered.

I do have some fish on the farm that ARE endangered, the Snail Darter but I've yet to see any of them at the bird feeder.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:58:27 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

Raffine

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »

I do have some fish are the farm that ARE endangered, the Snail Darter but I've yet to see any of them at the bird feeder.

. . . unless the Buntings discover how delicious Snail Darters are! 

Very cool, having a haven for Snail Darters. At least it should keep TVA off your property.

We have some species of Darter living in the spring/stream but I'm not sure what type. One day I'll have someone with fish-smarts take a look at them.

There is a huge snapping turtle that lives somewhere in the stream bank that only emerges during very heavy rains to sit in the front yard and scowl at the dogs. I admit it brings out the 10-year-old in me and I always try to make it bite a stick - which it always does.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 02:26:56 PM »

I do have some fish are the farm that ARE endangered, the Snail Darter but I've yet to see any of them at the bird feeder.

. . . unless the Buntings discover how delicious Snail Darters are! 

Very cool, having a haven for Snail Darters. At least it should keep TVA off your property.

We have some species of Darter living in the spring/stream but I'm not sure what type. One day I'll have someone with fish-smarts take a look at them.

There is a huge snapping turtle that lives somewhere in the stream bank that only emerges during very heavy rains to sit in the front yard and scowl at the dogs. I admit it brings out the 10-year-old in me and I always try to make it bite a stick - which it always does.

The state and fed spent over $2,000,000.00 "PROTECTING" the "HABITAT" by "ENVIRONMENT MODIFICATION" to insure "CONSERVATION" of the "ISOLATED ECO SYSTEM" ... and damn near killed them all.

They reshaped the creek, changed the drainage, replanted the area and basically change the entire site ... it would seem that the State and Fed along with Murray State University knew more about what nature needed than nature did. Oh and I'm not suppose to tell "ANYONE" where the area is at to "PRESERVE" the "PRISTINE" condition and avoid "EXPLOITATION"  and "HUMAN POLLUTION" of the area, that they nearly destroyed. Not that the big ass signs every 50 feet wouldn't be a clue.
Now this area is so remote, so hard to get to and so unknown that the poor little fish would have been much better off without their "PROTECTION". It's wetland that will never be developed, farmed or exploited. Up until the conservationist came along the darter biggest fear was the Kingfisher.

Since then I have never allowed a census or survey of the wetlands, creeks and streams on the property.

For those that don't know the SNAIL DARTER ... here you go.

Raffine

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »

Here's a nifty critter that paid me a visit yesterday morning. He was trying to get into an outbuilding but finally gave up in disgust and went to scare the bejezus out of the dogs (no harm done to snake or dogs).

Not sure of its proper scientifical nomenclature but I'd call it a 'Rat Snake' (Snakieoptera ratticus?) . Figuring the door is about 3' wide I'd guess he was around 4' long or so, and I've seen 'em much bigger than this.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »

(Snakieoptera ratticus?)
LOL Yep that's a rat snake, some folks call them chicken snakes, even though it's actually a Fox Snake it's in the Pantherophis family. I've seen them about 6 feet around here. Pretty much harmless, but they will bite.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bird Feeders « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.