Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:56 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HOW COOL IS THIS???? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HOW COOL IS THIS????  (Read 6748 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: May 21, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »

As some of you know, I am into collecting artifacts and fossils as a hobby.  A few years ago I met an SMU paleontologist named Mike after another collector and I discovered a 45 foot Tylosaurus skeleton eroding from the floor of a creek.  One day when Mike and I were over at my house, I showed him some various bones I had picked up that I was puzzled about.  One of them was this section of  fossilized jawbone:

It did not resemble any other form of reptile or fish I had ever picked up, and sure enough, when Mike finally finished with the Tylosaur and was able to study this piece, he got back with me and informed me that I had found the only documented piece of a pterosaur (pterdactyl) ever found in the Sulphur River area!  I am still pretty happy about that!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:54:12 PM »

So you thought you'd found a piece of one of these:

But actually found a piece of one of these...

That is pretty cool!   Thumbup
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »

congratulations on your discovery!!

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:06:09 PM »

Actually, I found both!!! TeddyR  The Tyulosaurus is so big that SMU can only do a virtual restoration . . . the real skeleton is too big to mount in their exhibit hall.

But the pterosaur is much smaller.

Thanks, SG!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:52:03 PM »

Neat.  Buggedout Thumbup Cheers

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »

The Tyulosaurus is so big that SMU can only do a virtual restoration . . .

What exactly is a "virtual restoration"?
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »

The Tyulosaurus is so big that SMU can only do a virtual restoration . . .

What exactly is a "virtual restoration"?

I think it's a 3D scan and built on the computer.

Cool stuff Indy ... all we have around here are a few arrowheads and small marine fossils, mostly small calms. Every few years or so some one will find a mammoth bone.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:18:26 PM »

Each bone or piece of bone is scanned with an MRI and then the computer does a digital, 3-D restoration of what the animal would have looked like.  One interesting thing, they can use the virtual program to create a mold that is exactly precise and make a perfect cast of any bone, or of the entire skeleton.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:30:20 PM »

Sweet.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:55:38 PM »

Very Cool, Indiana.  You have such an interesting hobby.  It is looking like my son's birthday party "theme" this year will be dinosaurs.

Two weeks ago, we were in western Colorado and made a run up to Dinosaur Nat'l Monument (the Utah side).  Then went over to Red Fleet State Park...there is a recently discovered tracksite there.

It was a pretty good tracksite.  We visited the one North of Moab last year, and though it had theropods and sauropods at one site, they impressions were not jump-out-at-you great.

The ones at Red Fleet are pretty good.  Two trackways, both theropods (but two different individuals), but very good, distinct impressions.  Maybe later I can post some photos (they came out pretty good).

Anyway, congrats!   Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:08:18 AM »

Very Cool, Indiana.  You have such an interesting hobby.  It is looking like my son's birthday party "theme" this year will be dinosaurs.

Two weeks ago, we were in western Colorado and made a run up to Dinosaur Nat'l Monument (the Utah side).  Then went over to Red Fleet State Park...there is a recently discovered tracksite there.

It was a pretty good tracksite.  We visited the one North of Moab last year, and though it had theropods and sauropods at one site, they impressions were not jump-out-at-you great.

The ones at Red Fleet are pretty good.  Two trackways, both theropods (but two different individuals), but very good, distinct impressions.  Maybe later I can post some photos (they came out pretty good).

Anyway, congrats!   Cheers

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send him a mosasaur vertebrae for his B-day!

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 06:29:42 AM »

That's groovy. When I was a kid,we had a large gravel pit down on Prospect Cemetary Road,me and my brothers would dig up rocks and stuff...we would find old shells and little fossils...and indian arrow heads. Once in a while we would find a small bone.(REAL small.) I wish I had a car....and could still do stuff like that.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Raffine

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 11:25:10 AM »

Q. HOW COOL IS THIS???? 
A. PTERO-BLY COOL!!!

Most of the rocks around here have at least some fossilized shellfish and fish parts. It's pretty mind-blowing to think this entire area, which is in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, was all once under water.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 09:30:08 AM »

Have you seen this story regarding other Texas fossils ...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,357129,00.html

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 05:50:56 PM »

I wonder if one of those could help with our grasshopper problem.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HOW COOL IS THIS???? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.