Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:41:23 PM
714320 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CORVETTE SUMMER (1978) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CORVETTE SUMMER (1978)  (Read 3552 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 24, 2007, 07:51:31 PM »

Annoying geek Kenny (Mark Hamill) and some classmates (including Danny Bonaduce) rebuild a Corvette Stingray in the school auto shop.  Kenny becomes obsessed with the car and tracks it to Las Vegas after it is stolen.  Kenny hitches a ride with would-be hooker Annie Potts (who drives a custom van with a waterbed in the back); has his pocket picked; sleeps in a U-Haul trailer; doesn't bathe for days; meets Dick Miller at a fast-food joint; gets jobs at a gas station and a car wash; crashes a bicycle into a pile of tires; gets covered in oil; and gets smacked around by a chop-shop owner who looks about as tough as one of the Bay City Rollers.

This is a light, harmless 1970s drive-in movie that easily could have been a TV movie or even an episode of "Eight is Enough."  The one bright spot is Annie Potts, who is funny and sexy and looks GREAT in shorts and a T-shirt.  B-movie fans will be pleased to see Brion James, Kim Milford, and T.K. Carter in small roles.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »

that sounds awesome.  I've been trying to get into weird mainstream 70's stuff rather than something weird type stuff. 

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »

I vaguely remember seeing that in the theater when I was a kid.  I was a bit too young to appreciate Annie Potts, and there didn't seem much else to appreciate.  Even at that age I thought it was pretty dull.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 06:02:54 PM »

Now I get the joke in the beck song time Corvette Bummer
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »

Thumbup  this was actually more substantial than the title would have you think.  Mark hamill does a good job playing a sort of kurt cobain like loner  with a genius for making sick cars.   It has some really cool twists and turns. 

slight spoiler

There is a nice sort of sub theme about how the good guy buys american and the bad guy explains his bad deeds using twisted free market excuses about cars simply being commodities.  If Pat buchanan looked like a then teenage annie potts I'd probaly buy into alot of that protectionist stuff too. 
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 01:23:14 PM »

I remember liking this movie as a kid. After all these years, the thing that stands out in my memory is that wild hood scoop.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 03:57:24 PM »

I liked it better than STAR WARS...believe it not! Of course...I ain't wild about STAR WARS. But this and EAT MY DUST and USED CARS would make a great triple bill in some fantasy drive-land drive in!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 04:59:19 PM »

Kim Milford is batting a thousand in my book:  laserblast and this  Cheers
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »

I liked it better than STAR WARS...believe it not!
This was Hamill's first movie after Star Wars

This is a light, harmless 1970s drive-in movie that easily could have been a TV movie or even an episode of "Eight is Enough." 

I don't know if you mentioned "Eight is Enough" on purpose or if it was coincidence, but Hamill played the oldest brother David in the pilot for that show after Star Wars was shot. He tried to drop out of the series  to pursue a movie career  but ABC wouldn't let him out of his contract until he had the car wreck that messed up his face. He was unavailable because of the surgeries he had to have.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Zebra 3
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »

I liked it better than STAR WARS...believe it not! Of course...I ain't wild about STAR WARS. But this and EAT MY DUST and USED CARS would make a great triple bill in some fantasy drive-land drive in!
I totally agree, I saw Corvette Summer at cinema, and waited for Star Wars on TV.

'Huuutch!' - Starsky
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CORVETTE SUMMER (1978) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.