Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:53:21 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Interview Comments  |  Buddy Cooper Interview « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Buddy Cooper Interview  (Read 35242 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 24, 2008, 05:42:01 AM »

Buddy Cooper wrote, directed, and produced "The Mutilator," and it is his only film credit on the Internet Movie Database.  Skaboi (a forum regular) tasked me with reviewing "The Mutilator," and put me in contact with Mr. Cooper.  It was a great opportunity to find out the story behind the film.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »

The great thing about these interviews with low-budget filmmakers is they help us to remember just how damn hard it is to make a movie.  It's like trying to write a novel, compose a symphony, administer a gallery exhibition, stage a play, and manage a hefty, overdue mortgage all at the same time.  So it's no surprise that many of these movies turn out "bad".   

Even if I don't like the finished product (and I haven't seen THE MUTILATOR) I have tremendous respect for anyone who can manage to get a movie finished and out in theaters without major studio financing.   

Thumbup for Buddy Cooper!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Miss Misery
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »

Carl Hiassen wrote a column about "The Mutilator" (and the audience watching it) for his column on October 16, 1985.

Said column is available in the book "Kick Ass: Selected Columns of Carl Hiaasen".

Hiaasen wasn't exactly kind to the movie, but it appears Mr. Cooper has a sense of humor and I'm sure he would appreciate the fact that his movie has been, in a rather offbeat way, immortalized.  TeddyR

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »

Andrew,

Good to see the review went through.  A lot of questions I've always had about the film have been answered.  I've always been curious as to what Buddy would change about the film if he were to remake it today.  Hopefully there will be a legit DVD release of the film sometime soon.  I know that Code Red had planned to do so but they were recently bought out by another company.

Fantastic interview!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Tom Doyle
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 02:08:19 PM »

Andrew,

I stumbled across this review while web surfing ... I'm Ben Moore's nephew and am working as an actor ... my website is www.tomdoyleactor.com ... When I say working as an actor, I mean I do odd jobs for a liviing between gigs.  I grew up in Morehead City and although I was not acting at the time, I always had an interest in it.  As a matter of fact, Bill Hitchcock is a friend of mine and I just recently went to see him.  Fall Break was a big deal for people that were involved, but it was the last film of any consequence shot in Morehead City.  I live in Colorado now and to run across this review after all these years is a hoot!

Thanks for your review! 
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »

Andrew,

I stumbled across this review while web surfing ... I'm Ben Moore's nephew and am working as an actor ... my website is www.tomdoyleactor.com ... When I say working as an actor, I mean I do odd jobs for a liviing between gigs.  I grew up in Morehead City and although I was not acting at the time, I always had an interest in it.  As a matter of fact, Bill Hitchcock is a friend of mine and I just recently went to see him.  Fall Break was a big deal for people that were involved, but it was the last film of any consequence shot in Morehead City.  I live in Colorado now and to run across this review after all these years is a hoot!

Thanks for your review! 

Tom, welcome to the site.  Glad to see a local.  I grew up down near Cedar Island myself.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »

Thanks for your review! 

Very welcome.  The gent who first responded is the man who introduced me to "The Mutilator" and also put me in touch with Mr. Cooper.  The next time you speak with Bill Hitchcock, or any of the cast, let them know that "The Mutilator" does have a fan following on the Internet.  I've gotten a few emails about it, in addition to the posted comments.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
delicreep
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »

Skaboi wrote:

Hopefully there will be a legit DVD release of the film sometime soon.  I know that Code Red had planned to do so but they were recently bought out by another company.

Code Red hasn't been bought by another company, they changed distributors (from Media Blasters to Navarre). The Mutilator is still on their slate, but nothing else is confirmed. This flick was specifically mentioned in their press release about their new contract with Navarre, so it looks like they are serious about it. Code Red has a full schedule this year (including the awesome Night Warning), so I wouldn't expect to see The Mutilator DVD until at least 2009.

AnonymousManc
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »

The Mutilator is an enormously enjoyable film. Unfortunately a decent DVD release still doesnt exist. luckily I own it on Laserdisc! Amazing artwork on the cover. VHS quality image, brilliant film!

regards

AnonymousManc
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Interview Comments  |  Buddy Cooper Interview « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.