Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:17:00 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite/Least Favorite Sounds? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite/Least Favorite Sounds?  (Read 4603 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: May 26, 2008, 06:53:12 AM »

Moving on to another one of the senses, what is everyones favorite or least favorite sounds aside stuff like music? 

Some of my favs include:
My son's laughter
Heaters/Air Conditioners (they seem to help me sleep)
Sounds from a pond or lake (birds, frogs, water)
Food cooking on a girll

Least Favorite:
Fingernails or toenails being clipped
Other people's farts (if they're near me)
People vomiting
Babies crying

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 07:56:35 AM »

Favorites:
a nice rain falling on the roof at night while I'm in bed
pigeons cooing and owls hooing
playing golf, a titanium driver smacking a golf ball off the tee nice and solid
the voice of various distinguished British gentlemen

Least favorite:
traffic noise, semi trucks, Harleys with drag pipes, 50cc motors wound out to full throttle, etc.
somebody with subwoofers in their car, as heard from outside the car
leaf blowers, chain saws, and the like
an electric guitar played through a really cheap amp with no reverb
someone bending notes on a guitar up to out-of-tune pitches, any instrument that's out of tune, or someone playing in the wrong key
Kids who play their $99 electric guitar through a Death Metal distortion pedal with the treble turned up to max, while also doing all of the above.
Denise Nickerson, a young girl who played a variety of characters on Dark Shadows, and thought it would be a good idea to shriek all her lines
cell phone ring tones
that beep beep beep noise prior to them announcing "this is a test of the emergency broadcast system"

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:57:38 AM »

Mine is not so much a paticular sound, but the source of the sound. I have the most annoying neighbors in Tennessee. There is a continually stream of loudness permeating the area due to them. At any given hour through the day around the clock one of four things are happening...

The sixteen year old redneck is screaming at his little brother

The wife is outside on her porch talking on her cellphone to someone who is appparently extremely deaf

The wife is yelling/screaming/cussing the two kids. Even if the kids are two feet from her, she screams at the top of her lungs whatever her orders are in a shrill high-pitched tone.

Or their mutt is barking...

The wife is always bragging on the dog. As far as I've seen, the only thing the mutt is good for is howling all night and digging up my lillies. Naturally, when i brought up the subject of him digging in my flowers, i was told i must have mistaken another dog for "lola", because she's such a prize and her 'baby' would never do anything like that. I'm sorry, but its hard to mistake something that ugly. Thumbdown the last straw was two days ago when i was in the back yard hanging out clothes on the line, here came the dog barking and acting like it was gonna charge me. I know one thing, if it bites my six year old daughter one day while she's playing in the backyard, the wife will have no trouble mistaking the dead lump on her porch.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »

Favourite Sounds
Birds and general nature sounds (water, frogs, etc)
Tori Amos singing
Distant traffic (it helps me sleep)
Food cooking on the bbq
Nigel Kennedy playing Mozart on his violin
Tom Barabas's "Sedona Suite" CD
The quiet of my neighbourhood at night

Least Favourite Sounds
The thump-thump of the bass in the cars of those idiot rap lovers who think we all like their music.  Especially when you're on the footpath and it's SO LOUD, it hurts your chest.   Buggedout
Fingernails down a blackboard
Toe/fingernails being clipped
Crying babies
Emergency services sirens in the middle of the night
Someone sneezing multiple times

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:58:41 AM »

Favorite Sounds:

High Power engines revving.
Turbo Charged engines.
Karate gi's snapping from technique execution.

Least Favorite sounds:

Baby's crying
Cloth ripping (I can't stand it)
Loud background noise during phone calls (depends on what it is).
Toys that make noise (At first it's not so bad, but gets annoying very quickly)
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:29:02 AM »

I like the sounds of ...

a running stream
birds
light wins blowing through the woods
light rain on a tin roof (heavy rain is deafening)
and other assorted nature sounds
and yes my kids laughing is great.

I dislike ..

Boom cars with 2000 watt stereos
urban traffic with horns
styrofoam squeezing
Women with those really high pitch voices, it's cute for a minute than it's please shut the hell up.
Men with what one could call a "stereotypical gay" voices regardless if they are or not I'm just like "Shut up and get some bass in your voice."
Loud talkers
Video game noises in the backgrounds

and there is one sound that sometimes I really like and sometimes I really don't ...
it's called a wife.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »

current favorite sound:  Kraftwerk  (the band)

least favorite:

car alarm

ice cream truck
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 07:19:21 AM »

Sounds I Like:

1.) The sound of a piano. (most piano music has a calming and relaxing effect on me)

2.) The sound of the Iowa countryside during spring and summertime. (birds chirping, insects making noise etc...)

3.) The ticking of a clock. (especially grandfather clocks that chime on the hour)

4.) The hard crunch sound of heavy metal being played on a guitar. (especially rhythm guitar)

5.) Anytime a furnace kicks on in winter.  (that'll put me right to sleep)

6.) The crackling of a campfire.

7.) Thunder

Sounds I hate:

1.) Leaf blowers
Jack mentioned these and I couldn't agree more.  I live right across the street from a Wells Fargo bank and every morning, this guy uses a leaf blower around their entire property.  Even when he's on the other side of the bank, I can still hear that damn thing.   Hatred  It wouldn't be so bad but he's there like clockwork at 6am and the leaf blower he uses is one of the noisiest ones I've ever heard.  You'd think I'd be used to it after living here for almost 4 years but I'm not.  Whenever he uses it, I have to shut the window and even then, I can still hear it.

2.) Loud motorcycles
I live downtown in a highrise apartment building.  My building is surrounded by other tall buildings and there is a stop light four stories down from my window.  Because of that, these idiots on Harleys and crotch rockets feel the need to stomp on the accelerator when that light turns green.  Their bike's engine noise reverberates among the tall buildings which makes the racket ten times louder.  They all obviously get a kick out of it because during the warmer months, it happens all day, every day.  I can usually sleep soundly but those motorcycle engines wake me up almost every damn time.   Hatred 
I love winter months because no one rides motorcycles and I can actually get a solid 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

3.) People who talk loudly on cell phones
I refuse to believe that they're having a hard time hearing the person on the other end.  I think they talk loudly because they have low self esteem and want other people to hear them talking so they give the impression that they're important and have a lot of friends.

4.) Idiot children on Xbox Live
Most of the younger kids who play on Xbox Live are decent and tolerable.  But every now and then you'll run into some kid with voice higher than a girl's who will not shut the f**k up!  He talks incessantly and even sings into the mic.  These types of kids are almost universally reviled by most gamers.  Thank God Xbox Live has a MUTE feature!

5.) Sirens late at night
Killer Bees mentioned this and I totally agree.  Living downtown and near a hospital, I hear sirens all the time.  I've learned to tune 99% of them out.  What I don't get are the ambulance, police car and fire truck drivers who feel the need to blare those sirens and horns at 3am.  There will be NO traffic at all and they'll have those sirens at full blast.

6.) The sound of my building manager's voice
The woman who manages the building I live in is an elderly lady and her voice is one of the most grating I've ever heard.  Imagine Fran Drescher at 70+ years old and you'll have a good idea of what she sounds like. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:51:42 AM by Ash » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite/Least Favorite Sounds? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.