Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:40:36 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  George Romero's DIARY OF THE DEAD « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: George Romero's DIARY OF THE DEAD  (Read 11461 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 01:48:23 AM »

I saw this earlier and as I was watching it, I kept thinking, "This movie is lacking something".  I couldn't put my finger on it until I read this by Burgo:

The first half seemed to be building up to something big, but the movie never really got there.  Romero was definitely trying to send a message (actually, several messages) to his audience, but I think he got too caught up in that stuff and didn't concentrate enough on tension, terror, or even plain old fun. 

Burgo hit the nail on the head.
I wanted hardcore terror, tension and fun and didn't get it.
Several of the characters were very annoying and some scenes, like the one with the blonde from Texas who takes off in the motorhome at the end, made me shake my head in disbelief.
She acted so nonchalant...like the zombies were no big deal.

And the main guy with the camera...
If he had been with me in a situation like that, I'd have grabbed both cameras and slammed them on the ground as hard as I could.
The f***ing living dead are walking around and you want to film them!?
Oh hell no!

The main chick who narrates the film got on my nerves.
She looked like an Eliza Dushku clone and talked way too much.
By the end of the film, I fantasized that one of the other characters would tie her up and put a piece of duct tape over her mouth.

What a disappointment.
I rate this film 2 out of 4 stars.   Thumbdown

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:53:58 AM by Ash » Logged
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »

The Movie Was Nothing But Irritating Characters , Nonsense , And Botched Up Political Propaganda
dean

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »

Heh, I just rented this after seeing it last year at the Melbourne International Film Festival.

I really enjoyed it but it was messy.  Bad dialogue and some iffy acting from largely newcomers mainly made it messy, as mentioned.

I also feel Romero holding back and I do agree with Burgo's assessment of the second half: I expected more, and wanted it to build somewhere great, but it never did.

Still I have quite a lot of respect for this film, especially from a filmmaking perspective: It's Romero back to his independent film roots, which meant he had more wiggle room to do it how he wanted.  It also had some good ideas in it: the handling of the first person as an 'edited film' was a nice departure from the no cut 'as is' style of Cloverfield.

Still there were some terrible lines in this film, and I can't help but feel it could have been tidied up alot.  That and he was trying a bit too hard to go the political angle, which seemed forced and not as natural as when he spoke earlier in the festival [which I was lucky enough to attend.]

Still, I came out of the screening with a big smile on my face.  I enjoyed it much better than Land of the Dead [which wasn't bad, but just didn't have as much soul as the earlier outings] but then again I enjoyed Day of the Dead, so maybe my perceptions are a bit off.

So overall I give it my thumbs up!   Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BTM

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »

I gotta agree with a lot of the others, I liked the first half of it (except for certain silly parts) but overall the characters and dialogue were just weak.  Good example: Blondie, who's boyfriend just didn't too long ago, asking the black gang if she can keep the lip balm, you know, cause a girl's gotta look good, even in a crisis.  (sigh)

And what is UP with Romero and his seeming disdain for the military?  Okay, fine, I buy that during a major disaster like this some National Guardsmen would go rouge and decide to rob people in order to survive, but why in the HELL would they take off yelling and firing their guns in the air like idiots?  You'd THINK they'd want to conserve their ammo considering the situation.

Then there's the clip at the end, another of Romero's "Whack you over the head with the MESSAGE"  moments.

And does anyone else besides me find it odd that with the government somehow controlling the TV and radio, that they weren't able to know out the ISP providers in town? 

Also, as someone who's actually EDITED clips of film on a Mac with Final Cut, I didn't know you could upload clips from a camera, edit, convert, and save them all within about five minutes.  Must be a REAL fast computer they've got there...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  George Romero's DIARY OF THE DEAD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.