Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:41:05 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Sales of Spam Rise as Consumers Trim Food Costs « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sales of Spam Rise as Consumers Trim Food Costs  (Read 10062 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: May 28, 2008, 09:12:02 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,359541,00.html

Small | Large

Torgo

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:08:20 PM »

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:56:29 PM »

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:27:16 AM »

"We have significantly increased our household penetration," Neufeldt said.

That...just doesn't sound right.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:34:41 AM »

Ah, for those wonderful days when at lunch time mom would serve us kids up a big heaping platter of Wonder Bread, olives, radish roses, Spam, and, uh, pig testicles..?

The knife made the fight over that last radish rose more interesting.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »

Ah, for those wonderful days when at lunch time mom would serve us kids up a big heaping platter of Wonder Bread, olives, radish roses, Spam, and, uh, pig testicles..?

BounceGiggle

Spam does have its fans. The time to start worrying is when Potted Meat starts flying off the shelves.

Probably the funniest Spam reference I can recall is from the Jimmy Buffett novel, A Salty Piece of Land. One of the characters visits a Pacific island where the oldtimers are particularly fond of grilling up the lunch meat. Seems it's the closest thing they can get to missionary, taste-wise.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:07:21 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:15:10 PM »

Actually I like SPAM (the meat-ish like kind not the e-mail)

Fried Spam
Grilled Spam
Spam Omelet
Spam Frittata

Not a big fan straight out of the can, but I did pick up some today at Big Lots in the 70th Anniversary can ... almost afraid to look and see what anniversary their on now ... might be on the 80th or 90th by now. Buggedout

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »

Not a big fan straight out of the can, but I did pick up some today at Big Lots in the 70th Anniversary can ... almost afraid to look and see what anniversary their on now ... might be on the 80th or 90th by now. Buggedout

I noticed the special edition anniversary Spam the last time I went grocery shopping. Kind of got a chuckle out of it. Won't be long before they start showing up as pricless collectables at the Arkansas Pawn Shop  TeddyR

Not a big fan of Spam, personally. Tried frying slices with eggs, but didn't care for the texture. Tasted all right.

I can still think of my mom's lectures about how easy things are today (circa 1980). Usually, if I wanted her to buy a more interesting brand of something, she would tell me about growing up on a farm in the 30s and 40s, having a choice of puffed wheat or puffed rice for cereal, and eating Spam-like lunch meats with names like Kam and Klik. And yes, she did walk several miles to school in the freezing cold, in case you wondered.  Lookingup

---------------------
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »

Spam does have its fans. The time to start worrying is when Potted Meat starts flying off the shelves.

I remember the last time we talked about potted meat here on this forum a few years ago.
Matter of fact, after that thread was written, I bought a can of Armour brand potted meat.

I'd never tried it before and was going to film myself trying it for the first time and put the video on Youtube but never did.
I still have the can and never opened it.  And I still haven't tried potted meat.   TongueOut
I keep a stack of napkins on top of my microwave and keep the can on top of them so they don't blow away. (my microwave is near the window)

How long is that stuff good for in an unopened can anyway?

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »

I don't think any self-respecting bacterium would go near Potted Meat.

I also picked up a can out of curiosity the last time I was in the US. One of the fun things to do when across the border is to check out a supermarket and see what treats there are, since product lines differ. As far as I know, Potted Meat does not conform to Canadian food regulations. Along with a bag of Hostess fruit pies (never know when the Hulk might attack), I grabbed a can of the stuff, just to get a closer look.

Had no intention of eating it; just kept it as a novelty. Brought it out occasionally to watch the look on people's faces when they read the label. Not sure what happened to it. I think we threw it out when we moved. My wife wouldn't let me give it to a food drive.

---------------------
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »

It's been a while since I've eaten Spam or potted meat, but there was a time I thought a sandwich made of Underwood Deviled Ham was a little bit of Heaven.  TeddyR

I still will have a McRib sandwich or two when McDonalds rolls them out, and they are sort of like barbeque-flavored Spam with a picture of some ribs xeroxed right onto the meat patty.

The pancakes seemed to have armed themselves with a fork and huddled together for protection against the onslaught of the invading can of deviled ham. It's their only hope.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:22:54 PM by Raffine » Logged

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »

I even like Deviled Ham, it's great on Saltines as a snack. There are not to many foods I won't eat, when I travel I always eat the local dishes, and there is some interesting foods in Asia and the Middle East, some even stranger foods in Central and south America. But you got to wonder what some one from one of those countries would think of Spam or Deviled Ham.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 10:17:48 AM »

I'm not sure about any meat that can be readily mixed into pancake batter. Like it a bit more firm than that.

---------------------
Raffine

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »

I even like Deviled Ham, it's great on Saltines as a snack. There are not to many foods I won't eat, when I travel I always eat the local dishes, and there is some interesting foods in Asia and the Middle East, some even stranger foods in Central and south America. But you got to wonder what some one from one of those countries would think of Spam or Deviled Ham.

I understand Spam is really popular in Hawaii.

You can even make Spam sushi, but that's just a SERVING SUGGESTION.

I now have a craving for some Deviled Ham on crackers, and will pick up a can this afternoon.

I think the Underwood ham can be trusted, since it comes with that fancy paper wrapped around the can. That has to mean it's a cut above quality-wise your average potted meat food product, right?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:39:23 AM by Raffine » Logged

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »

Hehe, when I was a poor, starving grad student, I "enjoyed" potted meat lunches on occasion.  I did not much care for it cold, so I opened the can and placed it under the heater on one of the monster oil diffusion pumps we used. 

After hour under there, the "glop" melted so it could be stirred in.  This made it spread a little smoother on bread.

Yummy.   BounceGiggle

By the way, when I was young, my Dad for some reason thought potted meat was "required" eating on fishing trips.  I guess I'll have to pass that "tradition" to my children.

I've never been too big on Spam, but I do know an older couple that enjoys fried Spam and eggs for breakfast when they are out on their boat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Sales of Spam Rise as Consumers Trim Food Costs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.