Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:46:13 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Brazil Explanation Needed - Spoilers Inevitable « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brazil Explanation Needed - Spoilers Inevitable  (Read 10837 times)
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« on: May 30, 2008, 01:07:28 AM »

I recently saw the whole of Brazil and enjoyed it immensely.  But I'm a little confused as to the ending.  What exactly happened?  Was Sam crazy? Did he dream the whole thing?  At what point did reality break off from his fantasy?

Any insights are appreciated.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »

I suspect the line between fantasy and reality has been left intentionally fuzzy. The ending makes us go back and question our assumptions through the whole movie.

This is probably my favourite Terry Gilliam film, although I do have a soft spot for Time Bandits.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pilgermann

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »

Brazil is probably my favorite movie.  I've assumed that everything that happens from the point where Jack is shot through the head up until the reappearance of Jack and Mr. Helpmann is all in Sam's head, and at that point he's escaped into his mind.  Basically he goes mad.

Dr_Malavaqua
Dedicated Viewer

Blind & vengeful

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:53:40 PM »

If we're all talking about the uncut/longest version with the not-so-happy ending, I completely agree with Pilgermann. I wrote a long post trying to explain it, but got beat to the punch by Pilgermanns elegant wrap up!  Thumbup TongueOut

I too think it's a great movie and it was even better the second time when, at least I, could piece it together more easily!  Smile

"...and there was much rejoicing!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »

I have liked this film ever since the original ending was restored, I walked in Blockbuster one day and they had the store copy forsale it as the 3 disc Criterion Collection version I grabbed it up like money from heaven.

But to answer your question Sam escaped into his own head is what I think.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:07:51 AM »

I, too, love this film, though it is one of the harder ones to watch out of Gilliam's collection. If I recall, Gilliam said in the commentary on the DVD that he considered the ending to be a happy one because Sam escaped into his own mind, thereby avoiding being indoctrinated into such a lousy world any further. As has been said, though, exactly when this escape occurs is up for debate.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:12:37 PM »

Yeah, I was under the impression that Sam checked out for good during the torture, but that he had been escaping into his own head on and off throughout the movie. Did he actually do any of those spontaneous, rebellious things he did, or was it a fantasy?

Was Tuttle, as Sam saw him, real at all, or just a hero Sam created in his mind? This is a guy only Sam seems to be aware of. He is able to escape capture, thumb his nose at the system and actually get things done. Up until the end, his heroics mainly involved taming troublesome machinery and dealing out petty revenge to rude repairmen with criminal efficiency. Then in the end, he swoops in to "save" Sam, and meets his end, being no longer needed.

Something I found really interesting was reading about the way flexible ductwork in this movie represents repression. The poorest have ducts all over the place, middle-class Sam seems to have few, but his walls are, in fact, full of them. The Ministry of Information Retrieval has none, but the guy cleaning the floor is dragging one around.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 11:43:41 PM »

Thanks for the insights guys.

I was a little shocked by the ending.  It always throws me when I assume one thing all through the movie and the ending doesn't jibe with what's going on in my head.  I'll have to watch it again and see if I can ascertain when he breaks off from reality.

As for Time Bandits - it's one of my favourite movies.  It's bizarre and funny and intriguing all at the same time.  I always wonder what ultimately happens to Kevin.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 01:51:50 AM »

I think there's a very definite point wherein Sam escapes into his own head, but I'd have to go back and watch it to find out.

However, the entire movie is told from Sam's point of view, so of course everything is trumped up for the course of the film. He had been escaping into fantasy for the entire movie. Really it's a fantasy in the Gilliam vein, a very '80s fantasy of the future which I will always be partial to.

The when's and where's will never be sorted out to exactness (kind of the point of the movie). But if you want an explanation, Sam was able to escape into his own fantasy, which is anathema to the bureaucratic control freaks who tried to run this dystopian future. Even your dreams are their province. Which is, of course, Gilliam all over.

I actually think your best bet is to take the movie at face value and also understand that is the ravings of a lunatic mind. The two aren't mutual.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »

As long as we're talking about Brazil and since Time Bandits, I might as well complete the trilogy with the mention of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Gilliam made the three films to explore childhood (TB), adulthood (Brazil), and old age (AoBM). I love all three.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

As long as we're talking about Brazil and since Time Bandits, I might as well complete the trilogy with the mention of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Gilliam made the three films to explore childhood (TB), adulthood (Brazil), and old age (AoBM). I love all three.

Munchausen rocks!  Cheers

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Torgo

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »

Sam escapes into his own imagination/mind at the time he starts to be tortured. It's the part  where Michael Palin's character is shot in the mead while wearing the mask.  Then the S.W.A.T. team members come flying down the walls on their ropes. Everything that happens during this last stretch is just in his head.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »

Braaa ziiilllll... I think about you day and niiiiight....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Brazil Explanation Needed - Spoilers Inevitable « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.