Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:45:07 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Warlords of Atlantis (1978) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Warlords of Atlantis (1978)  (Read 3567 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: August 28, 2008, 05:10:25 PM »

Anyone else like thise 70's sci-fi cheesefest starring Doug McClure? I do. For all its faults, it's a fairly earnest movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, which is good, considering that the killer puppets used are arguably worse than even those in The Land That Time Forgot.

It also contains....this. Behold, for I give you the single worst excuse for a monster attack put to film since Bela Lugosi wrestled an octopus. God Himself bestowed this glory of hilarity upon us, I tell you.

Small | Large

There's nothing wrong with the monster (I quite like his design; like Muddy Mudskipper gone horribly wrong). It's that the guy just sits on his butt and lets himself get eaten, even though the other people try to help him up.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »

I just ordered this, as well as some others like THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT on Midnite Movies double feature DVDs.  I can't wait to get them and blow an entire Saturday night watching them.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »

I have been impatiently waiting for a US DVD release of this film for some time.  As I understand it, there is a nice UK DVD release available - just nothing for us American fans of this kind of film.

I just ordered this, as well as some others like THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT on Midnite Movies double feature DVDs.  I can't wait to get them and blow an entire Saturday night watching them.

Has there been a DVD release that I missed?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »

I have been impatiently waiting for a US DVD release of this film for some time.  As I understand it, there is a nice UK DVD release available - just nothing for us American fans of this kind of film.

The UK DVD is the one I've got. I have the movie ripped to my computer, as well. Heck, I even own the novelization by Paul Victor (which is a pretty decent read). I may do a reader review of it (but I'll wait until the two I already have in the pot get published so as not to overburden the reader submissions with too much by the same author, heh).
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:43:16 AM »

I ordered THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT / PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT DVD from DeepDiscount.com for $7.28.  I made a mistake about WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS.  What I actually ordered was the WAR GODS OF THE DEEP / AT THE EARTH'S CORE double feature.  Sorry for the confusion!  If anyone is interested in Midnite Movies double features, DeepDiscount.com is selling each one for $7.28.  I ordered 6 of them, plus a movie called CANNIBAL TERROR, which is slated for a September 9 release.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
peter johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »

I like anything with Troy McClure in it!
Another in this group would be the Journey to the Earth's Core he made with Peter Cushing -- All these films have great monstery monsters & screaming cleavage -- Ham has never tasted so fine . . .
peter johnson/denny fanboy

I have no idea what this means.
Dave M
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »

Doug.

How come no one ever mentions that John Ratzenberger is in this? That's all I can remember about it.
JJ80
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »

I've also got that box set. I actually think that this is the best of those 1970's Doug McClure fantasy adventures. It's certainly got the most eccentric premise, especially when the scientist (Peter Gilmore) is mentally programmed with huge amounts of futuristic technical knowledge by the Atlanteans. The sheer range of rubber monsters on display is breathtaking in terms of breadth if not technical proficiency.
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 11:12:13 AM »

That particular monster looks like it could have inspired the Rancor from RETURN OF THE JEDI!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »

Doug.

How come no one ever mentions that John Ratzenberger is in this? That's all I can remember about it.

Probably because he has a mostly nothing part? Admittedly bigger than his role as Major Derlin in The Empire Strikes Back, but he's just one of the ship's crew; just part of the group really. Not a terribly important or interesting character.

You can see him briefly in the clip above; he's the guy who lingers to shoot at the Mogdaan as it submerges.

That particular monster looks like it could have inspired the Rancor from RETURN OF THE JEDI!

You're the second person I know of who's mentioned how Rancor-ish the Mogdaan (that's the thing's name) looks.  Smile
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:59:50 PM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Warlords of Atlantis (1978) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.