Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:38:34 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Obscure 80's SLASHERS! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Obscure 80's SLASHERS!  (Read 25761 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« on: May 31, 2008, 03:29:31 PM »

I watched SLEEPAWAY CAMP last night and now I'm in the mood for ANY obscure off- the-wall 80s slasher. Ive been trying to hunt some info down on this one called "Dont' go into the woods tonight..ALONE!" but it doesnt even have a wikipedia page. I HAVE however, been able to find this neet-o vhs art:

If i cant find that one, ill be happy with pretty much any 80's slasher besides the jason and freddy movies, or any of the crappy HALLOWEEN sequels.

Ideas?

(Also, THE PROWLER and SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE parts 1 and 2 look pretty rad.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 05:23:01 PM by KYGOTC » Logged

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »

A truly awesome 80's slasher film is "Hellnight" with Linda Blair.  Other than a disturbing lack of nudity, it has just about anything you could ask for from a slasher film.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:15:03 PM »

Some of my fave's:

Slumber Party Massacre - Gets off to a really slow start, but once it gets going it's pure '80s classic slasher.  Mad killer chases babes around the house.

The Majorettes - This is based on a novel, and has a rather weird plot.  It starts off as a straight slasher, lots of boobs and blood, but halfway through turns into a revenge story.  Interesting series of twists towards the end.

The Initiation - Another one that gets of to a slow start.  A sorority pledge is having troubling dreams, and then her and her fellow sorority initiates must spend the night at a local shopping mall.  Good atmosphere and cheesy scares ensue.

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-rama - More monster movie (well, killer imp movie) than slasher, but it stars Linnea Quigley, Brinke Stevens and Michelle Bauer, the three scream queens of '80s slashers.

Hell Night - another college initiation, this time in a spooky old house.  Great atmosphere, though some might find it slow moving.  I thought it was really good.

Cheerleader Camp - babes o' plenty.  Unfortunately they try way too hard to make this funny, which ruins any suspense and frankly is just annoying as hell.  But it's got babes.  And more babes.  And yet more babes.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Menard
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »

I watched SLEEPAWAY CAMP last night and now I'm in the mood for ANY obscure off- the-wall 80s slasher. Ive been trying to hunt some info down on this one called "Dont' go into the woods tonight..ALONE!" but it doesnt even have a wikipedia page. I HAVE however, been able to find this neet-o vhs art:

If i cant find that one, ill be happy with pretty much any 80's slasher besides the jason and freddy movies, or any of the crappy HALLOWEEN sequels.

Ideas?

(Also, THE PROWLER and SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE parts 1 and 2 look pretty rad.)

Don't Go in The Woods is not pretty bad, it's wretchedly bad. You've been warned.

Midnight - John Russo's solo effort more along the lines of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Not a lot of surprises as this has been done before. Girl runs away from home and hitches a ride with two college buddies; they have the misfortune of running into backwoods Satan worshipers.

Just Before Dawn - Another backwoods slasher flick that is well done, and is a lost gem.

Alone in the Dark (1982) - Four lunatics escape from an asylum during a blackout and terrorize a doctor and his family. One of the better slasher films from the 80s. Also available in a 4-Pack with 3 other movies.

Final Exam - Definitely could have been better. An unknown, though clearly visible without any mask, slasher terrorizes a college campus. The slasher is basically unnamed and without any motive; he just kills. Low gore and only one nude scene. Only available on VHS.

Pranks (a.k.a. The Dorm That Dripped Blood) - Underrated college slasher film. It has often been criticized for duplicating movies that were made after it Question. A handful of students stay behind during Christmas break to clean out a dorm; seems like someone else has a plan to clean them out. Wicked ending.

The Burning - Jason Alexander takes on a slasher. Probably more along the lines of what you are looking for: a summer camp slasher flick. Decent amount of gore and nudity. Also an early role for Holly Hunter, but don't blink or you may miss her.

There are plenty, but I can't think of too many right now.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »

Ok, you said obscure and not "good" right? lol  (some of these are actually from the 70s)

Prom Night

Terror Train

Slaughter High

Return to Horror High

April Fool's Day

Motel Hell

Night School

Happy Birthday to Me

Tourist Trap

Alice, Sweet Alice

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
KYGOTC

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »

Ok, you said obscure and not "good" right? lol  (some of these are actually from the 70s)

Prom Night

Terror Train

Slaughter High

Return to Horror High

April Fool's Day

Motel Hell

Night School

Happy Birthday to Me

Tourist Trap

Alice, Sweet Alice

I actually saw Return to horror high up at this used dvd store by my house. is it any good?

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 01:04:22 AM »

I agree with Menard about Just Before Dawn and Alone in The Dark. Really good stuff. You might want to try the original Black Christmas and My Bloody Valentine.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 03:22:54 AM »

Intruder

Small | Large

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:59:02 AM »

It's been a number of years since I've seen Return to Horror High but I don't remember it being "good" in the traditional sense heh.  from what I remember, it's an early Clooney appearance plus one of the earlier self-concious horror flicks (along the lines of Scream).   Another 80s flick more spoofish would be Student Bodies.

Another one I thought of that I forgot to mention is My Bloody Valentine.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
KYGOTC

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »

I agree with Menard about Just Before Dawn and Alone in The Dark. Really good stuff. You might want to try the original Black Christmas and My Bloody Valentine.

I heard My Bloody Valentine is great, but also heavely censored. Thats a big turn-off for me.

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:40:18 PM »

Let's see if I can remember some... I'll post some on both sides of the recommendation fence.  I suppose you could take the anti-recommendations as a warning.

Pieces- Recommended for sheer hilarity of how badly made it is.  Quite a bit of nudity, and some nice gore, if a little cheesy.  Deals with a series of mysterious killings on a college campus, and the killer seems to be taking different pieces of the women he kills.  I think they tried to play this one off as a giallo, but completely failed in the effect.

X-Ray- An unknown assailant is stalking a woman in a hospital after killing a few people. Two good death scenes, other than that I don't recommend it.  It's kinda boring...

To All A Good Night- A group of teenagers are attacked by Santa Claus.  Well, okay, not the real one.  There is an actual reason why someone dressed as Santa is chopping them all up.  Eh, it's okay.  Not the best slasher I've seen.

Curtains- I don't remember this one too well.  An audition opens for a role, a woman that was supposed to be considered is committed to gain some background on the role, but is left in the asylum while six other girls are being auditioned.  The original actress escapes and tries to return to the audition to find that the others in question are being chopped up by someone in a mask. 

The Funhouse- Not sure if everyone considers this a slasher or not.  It's a lot like one of the After Dark movies, Dark Ride, being that film's basis for reference.  It's about a group of teens that go to a fair and plan to stay the night in a funhouse overnight.  While there, they witness an interaction between two carnies that results in one getting murdered by a man in a Frankenstein mask, who then turns out to be horribly deformed and a combination of mentally challenged and insane. 

Unhinged- A lot like Texas Chainsaw and other stranded movies.  Well, sorta.  It involves three girls on their way to a concert and they decide to take the back roads, which is where they get stranded with a broken down car (I think they crashed if I remember correctly).  A woman and her mother allow them to stay at their house and are picked off one by one.  It's... well... different... kinda... I think it tried to be Texas Chainsaw, then at the end it had a "shocking" ending that would later be overshadowed by Sleepaway Camp.  Both are quite similar endings, only one doesn't have a penis.

The Prey- Horrible, horrible slasher riddled with stock footage and filler.  The film would have been great if it were left as a short film, but the director decided to try to make time by showing random footage of animals, animals, an annoying ranger, and more animals.  Seriously.  There is a scene where the ranger tells a bad joke to a deer, and another where he pulls out his old guitar and begins singing.  Oh, and there just so happen to be a couple good death scenes in it, too. 

Edge of the Axe- Never actually saw this one.  Just saw the box at the video store and thought it was a Friday the 13th knock off.  Thought I'd throw it out there anyway, in case someone could give some more background on it.

Invisible Maniac- As much as everyone seems to hate this movie about a picked on physics teacher going invisible and killing his students, I love it!  It's so utterly abysmal and funny at the same time (purposely funny, no less) that it just struck a chord with me.  I wish I could find this one on DVD, but all I can seem to find is VHS.  The gore in this film is so low notch it's hilarious.  And some of the items he kills people with!  A sub sandwich?  A fire hose? 
Menard
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »

X-Ray- An unknown assailant is stalking a woman in a hospital after killing a few people. Two good death scenes, other than that I don't recommend it.  It's kinda boring...

That one is also known as Hospital Massacre and stars Barbi Benton. I listed it in the thread of worst movies seen in a theatre.
voltron

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »

Scream(1985?) is a horrible, horrible "slasher" about a group of older folks in a ghost town. I've never seen a movie where absolutely NOTHING happens so often. Bleeding Skull called it an "awful rite of passage", and I kinda see why. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been released on dvd yet (shudder).

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Menard
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 07:37:22 PM »

Though not from the 80s, the Bloody Murder movies are some fun summer camp slasher flicks.

Final Terror was one from the early 80s slasher cycle that may appeal to you. A busload of young adults set up camp in the woods only to find that lions and tigers and bears, oh my, are the least of their worries. Interesting variation where the would be victims fight back.

Along that same line is one of Burgo's faves, The Creeper TongueOut. This time, though, it is all men who are being terrorized by the killer.

Quite frankly, if you are in the summer camp slasher mood, The Burning is going to fit the bill the best; followed probably by Bloody Murder. Pieces is a good one as mentioned too; mainly because it has been available on public domain releases making it relatively easy to find, and cheap to get.

You also could go back a bit further to the movies which inspired the slasher flicks; Giallo Cinema. Mario Bava's Bay of Blood and Blood and Black Lace, as well Dario Argento's Deep Red (a.k.a. Deep Red Hatchet Murders and Hatchet Murders) are good choices.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 08:56:59 PM »

The Funhouse- Not sure if everyone considers this a slasher or not.  It's a lot like one of the After Dark movies, Dark Ride, being that film's basis for reference.  It's about a group of teens that go to a fair and plan to stay the night in a funhouse overnight.  While there, they witness an interaction between two carnies that results in one getting murdered by a man in a Frankenstein mask, who then turns out to be horribly deformed and a combination of mentally challenged and insane. 

this was actually based on a dean koontz book. the movie was so far out of reach of the book and mr. kootz (although i'm not particularly a fan) was soon ashamed of the final production that he wouldn't let him use his name in the credits...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Obscure 80's SLASHERS! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.