Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:24 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Obscure 80's SLASHERS! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Obscure 80's SLASHERS!  (Read 25760 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »

Menard- I did not know that.  All I remember about this film is being extremely bored.

SisterGrace- I also did not know that.  I will have to read the book to see just how far off it is.  I actually enjoy the movie to certain degrees.

_______

Update:

I actually found something on IMDb saying something a little different.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082427/trivia

It says that Koontz actually wrote the novel based on the screenplay, and they aimed to be released simultaneously.  However, the film's production was delayed, and Koontz wound up releasing the book beforehand, which is why his name isn't on the credits, because he had nothing to do with the production of the film, only with the novelization that was supposed to be based on the film.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:12:22 PM by Joe the Destroyer » Logged
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 12:14:23 AM »

I'm seeing "PIECES" being suggested alot here. I saw a used copy of that for maybe 4 bucks up at this place by my house. I passed it up at the time because I wasn't sure what to think of it, but now that ive heard so many good things about it, i want to go get it. Trouble is, every time I go out there now, i cant find it but Im almost positive nobody bought it beacause almost no one has heard of it. Ill have to go back again and dig more thoroughly.

As for Bloody murder, i think i might go check that out, even though its obviously a rip-off of Friday the 13th. is it from the 80's? or at least early 90s? 

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
akiratubo

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »

Memorial Valley Massacre

A kid grows up in the woods without human contact.  Campers come to the woods.  He kills them.

The movie suffers from an almost unbearable amount of "comedy".

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 01:40:29 AM »

I'm seeing "PIECES" being suggested alot here. I saw a used copy of that for maybe 4 bucks up at this place by my house. I passed it up at the time because I wasn't sure what to think of it, but now that ive heard so many good things about it, i want to go get it. Trouble is, every time I go out there now, i cant find it but Im almost positive nobody bought it beacause almost no one has heard of it. Ill have to go back again and dig more thoroughly.

Pieces is one of those few movies that so utterly terrible that I can't help but love it!  It's very fun to watch.  It's just sad that you can't find the Diamond Entertainment versions anymore.  Sure, they were crappy quality video, but they were dirt cheap and sufficient.  Better, anyway, than some of the $1 DVD's you can buy out there. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:55:14 PM by Joe the Destroyer » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 07:47:14 AM »

Pieces is available in the Fright Night ten movie pack.  You can usually find it dirt cheap.  Haven't watched it in a while, can't remember if the video quality is as bad as most of the movies in those ten movie packs.

The Night Chills ten movie pack has a movie called Slashdance.  Remember GLOW, the Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling, from the '80s?  Well, several of their wrestlers star in this movie.  You can imagine the acting quality.  Girls show up to audition for some sort of dance troupe, and end up dead.  The whole slasher storyline is forgotten about for the middle part of the movie as they prattle on about other stuff.  Lots of hot babes in spandex though, too bad the video quality is too horrible to appreciate any of it. 

And while I'm on the subject of hot babes in spandex, there's also Death Spa aka Witch b***h, about a series of killings in a health spa.  It was actually pretty good (well, consider who's saying it's pretty good  TeddyR ).  Interesting twists in the plot.  Pretty sure it's only available on VHS.

And then there's Aerobicide.  Haven't seen that in many years.  Remember it being okay.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:22:49 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
hellbilly
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »

The Prey- Horrible, horrible slasher riddled with stock footage and filler.  The film would have been great if it were left as a short film, but the director decided to try to make time by showing random footage of animals, animals, an annoying ranger, and more animals.  Seriously.  There is a scene where the ranger tells a bad joke to a deer, and another where he pulls out his old guitar and begins singing.  Oh, and there just so happen to be a couple good death scenes in it, too. 
I just watched The Prey last weekend, and I still think it's quite hilarious. It's a shame that Anchor Bay cancelled their DVD release of The Prey because they can't find the original unrated print that includes extra gore. I wouldn't mind a clean 16x9 widescreen transfer of the R-Rated cut either though.
Menard
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »

Pieces is one of those few movies that so utterly terrible that I can't help but love it!  It's very fun to watch.  It's just sad that you can't find the Diamond Entertainment versions anymore.  Sure, they were crappy quality video, but they were dirt cheap and sufficient.  Better, anyway, than some of the $1 DVD's you can buy out there. 

I don't know that I would call it utterly terrible.

A bad movie, definitely, but entertaining none the less. Sometimes I hate it, but I still watch the dang thing.

...yeah, you got a point.

Another of the Georges' movies that may be of interest here is Mortuary. Bill Paxton's skipping routine is not to be missed TeddyR.
KYGOTC

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »

The Prey- Horrible, horrible slasher riddled with stock footage and filler.  The film would have been great if it were left as a short film, but the director decided to try to make time by showing random footage of animals, animals, an annoying ranger, and more animals.  Seriously.  There is a scene where the ranger tells a bad joke to a deer, and another where he pulls out his old guitar and begins singing.  Oh, and there just so happen to be a couple good death scenes in it, too. 
I just watched The Prey last weekend, and I still think it's quite hilarious. It's a shame that Anchor Bay cancelled their DVD release of The Prey because they can't find the original unrated print that includes extra gore. I wouldn't mind a clean 16x9 widescreen transfer of the R-Rated cut either though.

I dunno, man. Knowing that i'd be missing part of the movie would bug the p**s out of me. But thats just me.

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 03:28:22 AM »

Menard- I did not know that.  All I remember about this film is being extremely bored.

SisterGrace- I also did not know that.  I will have to read the book to see just how far off it is.  I actually enjoy the movie to certain degrees.

_______

Update:

I actually found something on IMDb saying something a little different.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082427/trivia

It says that Koontz actually wrote the novel based on the screenplay, and they aimed to be released simultaneously.  However, the film's production was delayed, and Koontz wound up releasing the book beforehand, which is why his name isn't on the credits, because he had nothing to do with the production of the film, only with the novelization that was supposed to be based on the film.

Damn, who gave me wrong information? curse thee rumors of stardom lol

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 02:36:34 AM »

Happy Birthday to Me -- A personal favorite of mine.  It has some pretty gruesome deaths and a wonderfully convoluted plot, but what I like most about it is the overall feeling of grandeur.  I don't know the budget, but it seems almost like it was produced as if it were something bigger than the typical horror film it is.

As for The Funhouse, I believe the Dean Koontz book was adapted from the film, not into the film.
hellbilly
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 10:40:10 AM »

Doris Wishman's A Night To Dismember (1983) is pretty obscure, and due to a chaotic production (most of the original film negative was destroyed) it is probably not everyone's cup of tea. I'd say it works on a so-bad-so-good level while being a hallucinogenic oddity the same time.
KYGOTC

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 03:59:01 PM »

and due to a chaotic production (most of the original film negative was destroyed)

Why was it so hectic?

Raffine

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

Now THIS is an obscure 80's slasher flick:

Nick Mallard's lil' opus is mainly Ethel "remembering" footage from the original (and weirdly effective) CRIMINALLY INSANE (1975).

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »

For the love of god.....avoid Fat Ethel 2.....I still have nightmares....

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Bonehead-XL
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »

If you liked "Sleepaway Camp" make sure to see the two sequels. Both are superior, in my opinion, and number two is probably my all-time favorite slasher.

"The Prowler," "The Burning," "Madman," and "My Bloody Valintine" are probably the best slasher that never spawned any sequels. The first two feature fantastic gore effects from Tom Savini, all are well directed and have iconic killers. There's even some decent acting and writing in there too.

"The Prey" is my favorite bad movie as I just find it hilariously inept. "Don't Go in the Woods... Alone" has an awful reputation but I actually like it. Maybe its an acquired taste. "The Forest" is along the same lines and has the same "love-it-or-hate-it" reputation.

"The Mutilator" hasn't been mentioned yet, which is a great slasher, but only in the uncut verison as the gore is the only reasons its notable.

The "Prom Night" series has its fans. I liked Part II but don't think much of the rest.

About "Slumber Party Massacre." The series is actually much larger then you'd think. There's the three "Slumber Party Massacre" films and then "Sorority House Massacre" has been confirmed by the directors as taking place in the same universe. "Hard to Die" is an unoffcial sequel to "Sorority House Massacre II." There's also "Cheerleader Massacre" which was originally "Sorority House Massacre III."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Obscure 80's SLASHERS! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.