Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:30:26 PM
714346 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE EAGLE HAS LANDED ~ DUMB FILM « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE EAGLE HAS LANDED ~ DUMB FILM  (Read 4120 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: June 03, 2008, 08:44:56 PM »

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED (1976) is the latest dumb film that I sweated through.  I call this one dumb, but not so much for the quality of the film, there are great sets, costumes and big name actors... but it all seems to be pointless.  We know where it's headed, and I avoid spoilers, but the idea is to kidnap Winston Churchill when a set of circumstances offers an opportunity, a plan including spies and airdrops.  I think we know this story would not work if they succeeded. 

MICHAEL CAINE (the English actor) portrays Oberst Kurt Steiner who doesn’t bother with affecting a German accent, but in the English village and in disguise, he readily shows his skill doing a Toff English officer…  Near the beginning of the film, and after not-really saving a Jewish girl's life, he proclaims his indignation at a General involved with transporting Jews to concentration camps and states: "I have nothing for or against the Jews..."  presumably to make this nearly sympathetic character one of the good guys...?? 
ROBERT DUVAL (the American actor) portrays Oberst Radl complete with eye patch and cigarette, slipping in and out of his “German” accent with quite a helpful sidekick who is here primarily to lend credibility to an absurd performance that seems more informed by reruns of "Hogans Heroes" than commitment. 

DONALD SUTHERLAND (the Canadian actor) portrays Liam Devlin, IRA rep to the Nazis, as a caricature of the over-grand Irish ne'er-do-well vagabond with an accent that can only be described as blarney... we do see him imbibing quite often, though.   Drink  Lookingup Didn't we sort of see this goof before in KELLY'S HEROES or was it THE DIRTY DOZEN...?   Lovely JENNY AGUTTER gets to fall in love with and murder for this turd (don't worry, she gets away with it...) 

LARRY HAGMAN is here, primarily for comic relief, as cartoon southerner Col. Pitts, the typical Hollywood version of Army br' Ass (HAGMAN was born in Texas which makes his moronic portrayal all the more ironic and puzzling.)  Col. Pitts meets traitor Joanna Gray (JEAN MARSH) only briefly...  Lookingup ...in a jaw-droppingly pointed scene, that though violent, must have been played for larfs

With all the real historic battlefields in Europe, this flick gives us a battle in an English village with quite a number of explosions, battle fire, and honorable German paratroopers who don't shoot hostages but do play the pipe organ, give their lives to save little girls, and don't hesitate to alter plans to include assasination... The cast also includes DONALD PLEASANCE (perhaps the best casting as Himmler) ANTHONY QUAYLE (who as ever looks ruddily tweaked, English, burdened and annoyed, playing a German admiral) and TREAT WILLIAMS (reliably American; very lucky guy). 
I think the “shocker” of an ending is there to cover up a fluke,  and apparently no real twist.  Probably was a fast page-turner... I can imagine this all worked well in JACK HIGGINS' novel.  On screen, however, who cares?  We want LARRY HAGMAN to kick some ass!!! 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:31:23 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:59:21 PM »

Not one of the better was films ever made, Larry Hagman is not a convincing military man. It was on TV the other day, I started watching it and switch off to something else, I have it on DVD. I don't think I've seen it since I first got it a fer year ago. Just not what I grab when I'm in a war movie mood ....

The good news is Patton is going to be playing this weekend at the local independent cinema, so I'm going to see it on the BIG SCREEN for he first time in 30+ years.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:15:45 PM »

Never seen the movie, but I did read the book back in the day.  Not a bad read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED (1976) is the latest dumb film that I sweated through.  I call this one dumb, but not so much for the quality of the film, there are great sets, costumes and big name actors... but it all seems to be pointless.  We know where it's headed, and I avoid spoilers, but the idea is to kidnap Winston Churchill when a set of circumstances offers an opportunity, a plan including spies and airdrops.  I think we know this story would not work if they succeeded. 

MICHAEL CAINE (the English actor) portrays Oberst Kurt Steiner who doesn’t bother with affecting a German accent, but in the English village and in disguise, he readily shows his skill doing a Toff English officer…  Near the beginning of the film, and after not-really saving a Jewish girl's life, he proclaims his indignation at a General involved with transporting Jews to concentration camps and states: "I have nothing for or against the Jews..."  presumably to make this nearly sympathetic character one of the good guys...?? 
ROBERT DUVAL (the American actor) portrays Oberst Radl complete with eye patch and cigarette, slipping in and out of his “German” accent with quite a helpful sidekick who is here primarily to lend credibility to an absurd performance that seems more informed by reruns of "Hogans Heroes" than commitment. 

DONALD SUTHERLAND (the Canadian actor) portrays Liam Devlin, IRA rep to the Nazis, as a caricature of the over-grand Irish ne'er-do-well vagabond with an accent that can only be described as blarney... we do see him imbibing quite often, though.   Drink  Lookingup Didn't we sort of see this goof before in KELLY'S HEROES or was it THE DIRTY DOZEN...?   Lovely JENNY AGUTTER gets to fall in love with and murder for this turd (don't worry, she gets away with it...) 

LARRY HAGMAN is here, primarily for comic relief, as cartoon southerner Col. Pitts, the typical Hollywood version of Army br' Ass (HAGMAN was born in Texas which makes his moronic portrayal all the more ironic and puzzling.)  Col. Pitts meets traitor Joanna Gray (JEAN MARSH) only briefly...  Lookingup ...in a jaw-droppingly pointed scene, that though violent, must have been played for larfs

With all the real historic battlefields in Europe, this flick gives us a battle in an English village with quite a number of explosions, battle fire, and honorable German paratroopers who don't shoot hostages but do play the pipe organ, give their lives to save little girls, and don't hesitate to alter plans to include assasination... The cast also includes DONALD PLEASANCE (perhaps the best casting as Himmler) ANTHONY QUAYLE (who as ever looks ruddily tweaked, English, burdened and annoyed, playing a German admiral) and TREAT WILLIAMS (reliably American; very lucky guy). 
I think the “shocker” of an ending is there to cover up a fluke,  and apparently no real twist.  Probably was a fast page-turner... I can imagine this all worked well in JACK HIGGINS' novel.  On screen, however, who cares?  We want LARRY HAGMAN to kick some ass!!! 

Karma, Allhallows.

I couldn't agree more that this is a dumb film because I loved the book. If I ever got a chance to remake the film, I would do it straight from the book and do it as a miniseries.

I read somewhere that John Sturges wasn't really interested in making a good film: he was more interested in a good paycheck so he could go off and fish somewhere.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Neville

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »

I though the movie was OK, but I agree the whole thing is rather pointless, you know beforehand how the whole plan is going to play. Sturges did OK, but couldn't overcome this problem.

The novel by Jack Higgins is better. Not only it's tighter, but it makes you care about the characters, even the Irish renegade, which also is the silkliest character, and that compensates for the rather obvious payoff.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:08:36 PM »

Never seen the movie, but I did read the book back in the day.  Not a bad read.

I did see the movie, and I enjoyed it for the cast, if for no other reason. And I agree with the book being not a bad read. Actually, I think it is a great read. With some of the best action sequences I've ever seen in a book. Of course, it helps that Jack Higgins (i.e. Harry Patterson) was in the British army, before he became a writer. Actually, I have found that your best action writers usually have served in the military in some capacity, before becoming a writer.
PeliculasCaseras
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »

Hey "Allhallowsday" what's up, just curious, have you ever Directed,Produced,Written a b-movie or maybe made a camcorder recording of some sort,or are you just a fan of them, "just watching from the side lines."

**I sure would love to see something you have produced, don't be shy... Drink
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 06:24:30 PM »

Hey "Allhallowsday" what's up, just curious, have you ever Directed,Produced,Written a b-movie or maybe made a camcorder recording of some sort,or are you just a fan of them, "just watching from the side lines."

Same reply on two threads??

Listen, the "Frightening Fanatic" is  a board designation or rank for those who have made 1000+ posts on this forum.  You have to work your way up to it.  Kudos to you if you've turned out some of the cinematic sludge we all adore, but you'll need to hang out here a LONG time before you become a Frightening Fanatic! 

But we would love it if you did . . . . TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:04:49 PM »

Same reply on two threads??

Listen, the "Frightening Fanatic" is  a board designation or rank for those who have made 1000+ posts on this forum.  You have to work your way up to it.  Kudos to you if you've turned out some of the cinematic sludge we all adore, but you'll need to hang out here a LONG time before you become a Frightening Fanatic! 

But we would love it if you did . . . . TeddyR
Thanks, Indiana.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Black Kitty
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:03:39 AM »

"Eight years...Eight Goddam Years!!"

I remember Larry Hagman in this film!

He chewed up the scenery with astonishing gusto as Treat Williams gazed upon him with an all-too-genuine expression of bewilderment on his face, if I remember rightly.

What a movie! Mis-cast, over-played and stodgy direction. It had it all!
all saints day
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »

"Eight years...Eight Goddam Years!!"

I remember Larry Hagman in this film!

He chewed up the scenery with astonishing gusto as Treat Williams gazed upon him with an all-too-genuine expression of bewilderment on his face, if I remember rightly.

What a movie! Mis-cast, over-played and stodgy direction. It had it all!
Right you are!  I'll karma ya if I ever log in again!   Smile
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE EAGLE HAS LANDED ~ DUMB FILM « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.