Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:14:51 AM
713347 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Signal (2007) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Signal (2007)  (Read 4488 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: June 05, 2008, 08:53:58 AM »

Ok, I'm not sure how exactly to start this review other than saying that this film, this work of beauty is one of the biggest surprises I have had in years.

Heard about The Signal a few years ago on some movie news website, the name of which escapes me at the moment.  It sounded like a standard horror flick, already treaded ground and I forgot about it until I got a chance to procure a copy a few weeks ago.  I attempted to watch it and the first few minutes were absolutely awful.  Cliched, badly acted, over the top music, etc etc etc.

I couldn't find anything to watch last night so I decided to give it another chance.  Come to find out the first five minutes were a ruse.  It was supposed to be a slasher film that was playing on someone's TV, and after the first few minutes you are thrown into the real insanity of the film.

The film takes place in the fictional city of Terminus.  It starts out with Ben and Maya who are laying in a bed in a high rise apartment.  Maya is married but is having an affair with Ben.  He offers to take her out of the city the next day, New Years Eve, if she'll meet him at the train terminal, if she can decide to leave her husband.  From that point on, insanity ensues.  A strange signal is being broadcast on every TV, radio and cell phone in the city.  Suddenly, people are going insane, giving in to their most primal of urges and killing whomever they can.

The film is what I consider to be the horror equivalent to Pulp Fiction.  It's told in three sections or "Transmissions" each one from a different point of view.  The first is from Maya's point of view as she comes home and finds everyone in her apartment building, including her husband, have gone insane.  The second follows Maya's husband Lewis on his quest to find and protect his wife.   The third follows Ben, Maya's heroic lover who wants nothing more than to find her and take her away from the inanity.

As I stated in the beginning, this film is BEAUTIFUL.  It's filled with violence and gore but it all seems so beautiful while it's happening.  The film is one of the most perfectly shot films I've seen in quite some time.  Not only is the film absolutely beautiful to look at, it also has the best set sense of dark humor that I have seen in quite some time.  I found myself laughing hard during the second section of the film and it helps break up the sadness of the first and third sections.  A look at IMDB shows that none of the three directors have really directed anything in the past of note.  I have a feeling this is the film that will bring them success.

So, if you're in for something a bit different, something interesting, then check this out.  Hell, I'm gonna flat out say that this film is without a doubt a buy.  I know I'll be watching it a few more times!

10/10

Trailer for your viewing pleasure:

Small | Large

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »

This thing hits DVD tomorrow.  Seriously guys, check it out!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:32:36 AM »

I didn't read your entire entry, Skaboi, because once I read the opening sentence I knew this was something I had to check out and I didn't want to spoil anything for myself. Frankly, you are one of the few people whose movie opinions I will trust, so I jumped this one up to the top of Netflix queue. Unfortunately, I've been sitting on a few movies, so I just now got around to watching it tonight.

It's fantastic. Seriously, one of the most demented movies I've seen in a long time. Certainly the craziest American movie (the South Koreans still have us beat at the moment) I've seen in a long time.

I was bit disconcerted by the abrupt change of tone from the first act to the second. The first act was some of the most terrifying film work I've seen in a while, and I'm jaded. The second act veered into black humor, but it was hilarious.

You know how you always hate how stupidly illogical people act in horror movies? Well, how about a movie where nobody can function logically because their perception of reality has been altered?

Great movie, Skaboi. I will be raving about this movie to people who will no doubt not care at all. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
dean

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:37:43 AM »

I was lucky to see this one at cinemas for the Melbourne International Film Festival last year and did a review for it as well that seemed to slip through the cracks:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,115880.0.html

I must agree, it's a fantastic film, with a great mix of horror and comedy and a good lot of demented insanity as well.  I can't wait till it's out on DVD here since I'm definitely buying it.  I was dissappointed when no-one really seemed to notice my review since it's so perfect for most people here at Badmovies.org!  Now I'm just glad the Signal is spreading so to speak.  I did however give it 4/5 based on the fact that the final act was good, but it wasn't as good as the other two so it kind of ended on a [slightly] low point.  Though I'm definitely having a movie night when it's out here.

It was fantastic seeing it on a big screen with a full cinema.  Great atmosphere!  My two favourite parts are the entire second act and when things first start to go bad. 

Have you got the crazy?  I sure do!   Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 05:23:15 AM »

Mofo, glad you enjoyed the film.  Usually my reviews fall on deaf ears. 

Dean, I didn't see your review when you originally posted it.  In fact, I had no idea anyone had posted about the film.  Had I known, I would have just replied to your original post.

It's been a couple of weeks now since I watched the film and I have to say that it honestly made a big impression on me.  As Dean pointed out, the first and second segments of the film are superb while the third just doesn't hold up as well.  That being said, it's not really a complaint as the film works so fantastically well as a whole.  I really need to pick this one up on DVD as I still have yet to do so.

dean

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 05:58:32 AM »

Your review was much more concise: I just re-read mine and it's quite non-sensical!

But yes, as much as the third act wasn't as good, nobody should read that as bad, it's just the first two were so fantastic!

I read somewhere a little factoid about the film at the start of the film, but like usual my brain is so fried I can't remember why it was there.  Something about being a film from some competition they did or something like that.  Look it up [since I'm to lazy to google right now.]

Saw this one and "Teeth" in the one week.  Once I get more people involved with that one too, then my work on this mortal plane will be almost complete!

Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:09:39 AM »

Almost picked up THE SIGNAL last night and glanced at TEETH while I was there. Didn' pick anything up, but maybe this week.

dean

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 01:43:14 AM »

Ouchies!  You have a house full of women don't you Conan?

Teeth may be a bit of a 'nail biter' in that case...  TeddyR

The Signal is the superior of the two, with Teeth being somewhat over the top but best watched, and enjoyed, with a crowd rather than by yourself.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 03:00:10 AM »

I almost hate to have to say this, but I despised Teeth.

I knew I was in trouble when the movie opened up with that "purity" speech.

I'll admit that the movie got a little bit better at the end when it embraced the sheer ridiculousness of its concept, but that was preceded by an hour and a half of pure torture.

Dean, like Skaboi, you are one of the few people here whose movie opinions I respect, but I really, truly hated Teeth. It is one of only two movies this year I have rated with one star, the other was a Masters of Horror entry about ice cream.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
dean

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 04:41:47 AM »

Oh Mofo I totally understand, it is a bit of an odd one.  It would have been excruciating but the packed cinema, easily one of the biggest I've been in, made this one a fun night.

I don't think I'd like it half as much if I watched it by myself since it's a good one to talk about with your friends afterwards.

But this is all for another thread!  Thumbup

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Signal (2007) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.