Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:58:55 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Administration  |  Announcements  |  Karma Function Removed « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Author Topic: Karma Function Removed  (Read 184263 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: June 07, 2008, 08:53:59 PM »

We had some odd behavior on the karma front lately when I looked.  Appears to have been some collusion between posters.  I sent off some emails to some accounts, asking about the behavior.  The intended function of the karma system was not to carry on any sort of agenda, or to snipe at someone you disagreed with.

The karma function is removed.  I've no time for policing juvenile behavior.  From now on, if we agree or disagree, we can type it out, and stay civil.  If that is not possible, myself or a moderator will fix the situation.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:15:10 PM »

Dang, I kinda liked that; oh well, to those pricks that were attacking each other with boos...

YOU SUCK!!!  Hatred 

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Menard
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »

Dang, I kinda liked that; oh well, to those pricks that were attacking each other with boos...

YOU SUCK!!!  Hatred 

It was more along the lines of a few members gangbanged a single member's karma.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »

Well that's a bummer, some people's kids I guess.

BTW, if anyone ever says you never learn anything from bad movies, point out that Andrew made me learn what "Collusion" meant. I looked it up on the 'net.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:28:23 PM »

Looks more like some patsy accounts, some collusion, and it was not aimed at just one person.  This is not the first time I've had to address an issue like this - in fact, exactly like this, and by different member(s) the other times. 

I will enable the karma function once a working system is available that logs who gave what karma to who, so that someone knows what post caused the karma change and who did it.  Right now, looking for irregularities requires me to manually check the database.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »

BTW, if anyone ever says you never learn anything from bad movies, point out that Andrew made me learn what "Collusion" meant. I looked it up on the 'net.

So did he before he used it. TeddyR TongueOut

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »

Guess I haven't been paying attention, my hasn't really changed much in the last couple of weeks, I think I lost one and gained one. I don't know, I don't watch it that close.

Oh, well some people get to whiny about karma anyway.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »

So did he before he used it. TeddyR TongueOut

Lol, ,that's good, , Kar, , , , , , , ,  Oh, , , nevermind. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »

Just curious...

If the karma feature is reinstated, will our karma be reset to zero or will it be back where it was?
I had something like 246 karma and for most of it, I had to work hard and write creatively to get it.

It isn't fair to all the rest of us who use the karma function like it's supposed to be used.  We lost it because of the actions of a couple of idiots and they should be punished for it...not us. 
Essentially, you've punished everyone on the entire board.
(at least that's how I see it)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:24:15 PM by Ash » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »

Guess I haven't been paying attention, my hasn't really changed much in the last couple of weeks, I think I lost one and gained one. I don't know, I don't watch it that close.

Oh, well some people get to whiny about karma anyway.
Oh yes, I guess you haven't paid attention... but you have paid attention well enough to describe yer own recent history... I noticed you lost one and gained one recently (wasn't me, sweet potato, I had made a vow to myself, and even you, as you may recall that I'd not do such a thing) I don't do that sneaky sh*t... but anyway, I was the latest apparent complainant, so must assume your criticism is directed at me.  G'bye karma! 
Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:36:11 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »

good. The karma thing only seemed to make people mad, with is dumb, because ......well, it an internet forum! It's not like they slapped your gramma or anything! Some people are silly. Silly, dumb people.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 04:58:33 AM »

I just noticed the karma is gone. I already miss it. I enjoyed getting it, and I enjoyed giving it out. I keep reflexively going for the 'applaud' button when I read clever posts.

I didn't just find it fun when I gained a bunch of points (usually without any clue what they were for), but also found it somewhat comforting when my points didn't drop after posting something I though might have crossed a line. I look at it as a tool.

I agree that the system needs to fixed to prevent any shenanigans. However, I would prefer if only Andrew had access to who gave what what karma. Some might not like the anonymity, but I think it ensures an honest response. Tells me if somebody liked or disliked something, even if they wouldn't tell it to me personally. With all due respect to Menard, suggesting that someone who posts negative karma is a p***y is, to me, no less a defence mechanism than hiding behind an anonymous 'boo' button. I'm not so quick to discount criticism that goes unspoken. The sentiment is still there, even if someone wouldn't express it to my face. To keep that sentiment hidden doesn't make sense to me. I see it as denial. People don't stop being p**sed off just because they find it intimidating to say something.

I recognize the need to prevent what has happened recently, because it renders the tool useless, not to mention being really slimy behaviour. A system such as Andrew suggests would make it apparent if anyone has a large axe to grind, or a poor sense of humour. And I wouldn't mind if each member had access to a rundown of individual posts and how much karma they received. Would save a lot of noodle scratching.

In the end, I have to say I agree with Ash. I think some of us are being deprived of a fun and somewhat useful tool.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 05:05:49 AM »

I'm not all that saddened.  I was never crazy about the karma thing as it was.

Small | Large

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 05:36:25 AM »

Ash and AndyC said it for me too: I'll miss the karma function.  Most of the time it was the only direct feedback I got.
I understand why it had to go and I'm not arguing the decision.  Posting just won't be the same is all.   Bluesad

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 06:33:44 AM »

Yeah I was for the karma thing as well.  I think it made people feel appreciated for their input.  Although I understand we had a few morons who abused it giving negative karma for no apparent reason.   Most of us here are responsible and intelligent so I hope we can get it back some day.  Either way my life won't revolve around karma with or without it.  At least in this forum anyhow.   Anyhow, thanks to anyone who gave me good karma and I hope I returned it for one of your posts.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:37:29 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Administration  |  Announcements  |  Karma Function Removed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.