Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:12:21 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Sorcerer (1977) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sorcerer (1977)  (Read 3932 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »

While he was making "The Exorcist" William Friedkin was also involved with this project which ended up being much less popular but is actually of similar quality.  It's not about a Sorcerer.  In fact,  I have no clue why it's called "sorcerer"  but it's a title that sort of ends up kind of working in a very abstract way.   

A good half of it involves a perilous journey transporting some particularly fragile Nitro Glycerin across very very rough terrain.  It is a highly implausible situation and it's no wonder not that many movies have been made about it.  My guess is bozos across the world were yelling "Boom!!"   every 5 seconds in the theatres.   Friedkin is definately at the height of his powers.  ambitous, unique and riveting if a little difficult to fathom plot wise.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:08:54 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »

This one also has the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream before they went all disco -- Huge sweeping synthesizer soundwashes -- Really great space music!  Get the soundtrack albumn if you can find it --
Also, this is a remake of a French film.  The French one plays more heavily on the existential angst and enforces the fact that the men have nothing to live for, which is why they volunteer to do this in the first place.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:08:08 PM »

This is an excellent movie.  However, I think the original French version (called THE WAGES OF FEAR) is superior (although much slower moving at the beginning).  It was directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot who also directed the classic LES DIABOLIQUES.  I consider THE WAGES OF FEAR to be required viewing and I highly recommend you get your hands on a copy.  I have the DVD, but I think it might be out of print now.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neville

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »

Yeah, the original is better. It has a more subtle camerawork (Friedkin has never learnt how to be subtle) and its plot hides a depth charge against capitalism. You may agree with it or not, but it makes the movie more deep than your usual adventure film.

Still, "Sorcerer" should have been a hit in a perfect world. Friedkin did well in altering the first half so it does run smoother and faster, the acting is top notch (Paco Rabal is memorable, and so is Roy Scheider at his most intense) while some of the set pieces, like the river crossing, equal the suspense of the original.

I'd say its main problem is a Friedkin's vision. He's a terrific director, but he also seems a fierce hater of mankind, and he won't offer much in the characters for the viewer to relate or root for. 

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:07:36 AM »

My fear is that we are due for another remake and it will probably star either Vin Diesel or Brendan Fraser, will be directed by Michael Bay, and will be 120 minutes of mediocre CGI.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 09:44:16 AM »

This one also has the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream before they went all disco -- Huge sweeping synthesizer soundwashes -- Really great space music!  Get the soundtrack albumn if you can find it --
Also, this is a remake of a French film.  The French one plays more heavily on the existential angst and enforces the fact that the men have nothing to live for, which is why they volunteer to do this in the first place.
peter johnson/denny crane

I might be wrong, because I've seen the original quite a while ago. Anyway, (SPOILERS!!!) I thought that the men did in fact had quite a lot to live for, but no chance or no "means" to do so. Wasn't one engaged and about to marry? And didn't one want to start a business of some kind with the money? I have the feeling that the story was so gripping and I cared for the characters so much because of the things they could achieve with the money. And that the money was probably not the last, but a fast and profiting one. I might have cared less if the price was just the money and not a better chance for their goals in life.

Might be wrong though...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »

I've just checked the remake on the internet (to find out if I've seen it - I doubt it, but would like to) and found out that Friedrich von Ledebur "stars" as one "Carlos". Fantastic! That's Queequeg in Moby Dick, also appearing in so many other great movies (Voodoo Island, Barrabas, two German Karl-May-movies, and "Un genio, due compari, un pollo" which is a Terence Hill / Nobody movie). However, I think his grandest achievement is the naming of his son:

John Friedrich Alexander Degenhardt Hubertus Maria von Ledebur!

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Sorcerer (1977) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.