Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:50:11 AM
714356 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I like to play with mine...how 'bout you? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I like to play with mine...how 'bout you?  (Read 6492 times)
Menard
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:16:29 PM »

You ever get in one of those moments when you look through an old comic book or magazine, see a novelty ad or sales page for Johnson Smith company, and recall some of the novelty items you may have had as a kid?

One of the things that I wonder is how, with all of the technological advances, that kids today respond to some of the items we grew up with.

Silly Putty, anyone? Was it really that cool to put it on a newspaper comic strip to make a copy of it? Would a kid today be likely to reply "why don't you just copy it with the scanner; it'll look better"?

How about a Slinky? Or is it just a spring today?

Venus Fly Trap? A miracle, or curiosity, of nature; not technology. How many have you killed trying to shove hamburger into its traps?

I remember when calculators were so cool; damn expensive at that time too. I had one, a Unisonic model, that had a built in Blackjack game. That was just so awesome back then. Now, I think it requires an animated dealer and players to be considered acceptable.

Whatever became of the novelty spypen? It was in the Johnson Smith catalog and was basically a large pen with a built in crystal radio. Being a crystal radio, it did not require batteries. It had a wire with an alligator clip you could attach to some metal object to use as an antenna, and it used an earphone (single, monaural) for listening.

Etch-a-Sketch? Did this seem magical as a kid? Draw on it, then shake it up and the drawing disappears. This novelty does work with adults as I would do this with a pentablet computer. If you use the word program and write the word, it automatically converts the word to smaller print. I would write a word in large letters, shake the pentablet, then show others an empty screen; seemingly empty.

What were some of the novelties for you as a kid?

Still have any?

Of course, for someone Trekgeezer's age, fire was considered a novelty. TeddyR
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »

Of course, for someone Trekgeezer's age, fire was considered a novelty. TeddyR

Laugh now, but you just wait 'til that patent applications come through!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »

Loved all the great ads in the old magazines. One that I actually purchased was Charles Atlas Body Building Program from a Magazine through the mail. I followed it faithfully for 2 years. The push-ups actually do develop the chest quite nicely. It was the most dynamic of the exercises of the program. Once I was a skinny kid and now look at me.  Smile

Small | Large

Mexican Jumping Beans were one of my favorites.

Small | Large

Sea Monkeys was another that we purchased.

Small | Large

Ant Farms.

Small | Large

Pet Rock

Small | Large

Chia Pets

Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:50:02 PM »

Combining modern technology with an old favourite:
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:55:28 AM »

In South Africa when I came down for holidays with my folks to see my mom's family, the ads in the back of the Richie Rich and other comics always fascinated me, such as

1. Sea monkeys
2. X ray glasses
3. Invisible ink
4. Itchee powder
5. Charles Atlas ads: I remember the cartoon that had the line "Wham! Now it's your turn to dry up and blow away!"  TeddyR

and my favourite: the machine that allowed you to put in a $ bill and "print money"  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:36 AM »

The Lite Brite:

Erector set:

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:40:22 AM »

Hey men , Charles Atlas is still around.    http://www.charlesatlas.com/

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 09:46:31 AM »

How about Ball in a Cup!

Small | Large

Sorry I couldn't get the original video, nobody put it up so this is as close as I could get.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »

How about Ball in a Cup!

Heh, Family Guy moment for me. *Suddenly has video come up on his modem-controlled browser* Wow! What a coincidence!  Thumbup

I'm 20, but I remember playing children's games on Win95 (I don't suppose anybody's ever heard of Pajama Sam Wink) and thinking how incredibly cool they were. (Never owned a game system of any sort and still don't.) Then I got into side-scrollers and thought they were even cooler. Many of those games I still own, but whenever I go back and play them, they seem pretty boring in this GTA-induced mind.

Oh, yes, and Legos (r) - they had their hey-day in the '90s. Those were awesome. I also remember the "arch-nemesis" of Legos, Mega-Blocks (r). Those sucked.

I think we still own an Etch-A-Sketch. Nice, quiet toy for my mom.

I also believe my dad owned a pet rock, back in the early '60s or something.

Oh, and when I saw the words "Charles Atlas" I remembered that Monty Python clip I saw on YouTube. XD

Now I know what they mean when you can't go back. Good times, though.

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
all saints day
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:26:51 PM »

I'm 20, but I remember playing children's games on Win95 (I don't suppose anybody's ever heard of Pajama Sam Wink) and thinking how incredibly cool they were. (Never owned a game system of any sort and still don't.) Then I got into side-scrollers and thought they were even cooler. Many of those games I still own, but whenever I go back and play them, they seem pretty boring in this GTA-induced mind.

Oh, yes, and Legos (r) - they had their hey-day in the '90s. Those were awesome. I also remember the "arch-nemesis" of Legos, Mega-Blocks (r). Those sucked.
...I also believe my dad owned a pet rock, back in the early '60s or something.
Legos had their heyday in the 1960s, and the Pet Rock phenomenon was from the '70s...
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »

My favorite toy was my Thing Maker Fright Factory and Creepy Crawlies sets. The Thing Maker was a real survivalist's toy: basically a small hot plate that plugged into the wall, just like grown-up toys. The Thing Maker got red hot so it'd cook your Plasti-goop until it was nice and firm.

Electric football was fun, but, upon reflection, ultimately pointless. It was fun to sneak and turn the control to HIGH and watch both teams have fits and bounce right off the field.

Those were the days! 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:21:44 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »

My favorite toy was my Thing Maker Fright Factory and Creepy Crawlies sets. The Thing Maker was a real survivalist's toy: basically a small hot plate that plugged into the wall, just like grown-up toys. The Thing Maker got red hot so it'd cook your Plasti-goop until it was nice and firm.

The old Creepy Crawlers Thing Maker I had was different. It was a plastic cauldron with a light bulb inside that heated up the bottles to melt the goop for casting in the little plastic mold trays. After using up the whole supply making little plastic bugs, my parents were too cheap to buy more goop. I had to chop up the rejects, sort the colours and put them back in the bottles for reuse.

Hmmmm, just for a moment there, I could almost remember the smell of that stuff.

Anybody else remember the old Creepy Crawlers TV commercial with Jackie Coogan?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:47:28 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Menard
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »

I never had the Thing Maker, though I do remember the commercials for it.

I did once get a set of Shrinky Dinks. Just color them in, pop 'em in the over, and out comes keychains and other such useless trinkets for kids.

Anybody ever have Magic Rocks? (keep the minds out of the gutter Lookingup)

Those were cool. Reminiscent of The Monolith Monsters.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 03:51:09 PM »

Here we go. This is what sold me on that particular toy.
Small | Large

---------------------
Raffine

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »

Sigh. I remember the wimpification of the Thing Maker.

Mine was literally an open metal hot plate you could fry your finger on or set your long hippy hair on fire without thinking twice about it.

The molds were not plastic, but made out of cast iron. When casting your giant raoches or zombie lips the mold became hot enough to brand you for life. they were heavy enough so that when thrown they made quite a dent in your mom's hardwood floor or your neighbor's forehead.

The Shunken Head was next to impossible to make, the bastards.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I like to play with mine...how 'bout you? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.