Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:22:29 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  M. Night Shamalamadingdong « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: M. Night Shamalamadingdong  (Read 17962 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 12:31:25 PM »

Is it really martian invaders or is it just that the plants release a toxin that makes people kill themselves?

quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 03:05:52 PM »

The plant toxin thing is what they talk about.  But in the beginning of the movie, Mark Wahlberg lectures his class about how mysterious things happen in nature that we may try to explain, but never truly get beyond "theories".  I say it was CFCs depleting the ozone layer.

The alien thing was a joke about the kind of Shyamalan twist people would expect.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »

I saw this today (even though I had read all the lousy reviews).  First of all, the fire alarm went off and they evacuated the theater before the movie started.  Not a good omen . . .

Anyway, my opinion is, like most of M. Night's efforts, this was a pretty good idea for a movie that went horribly wrong.  Some of the dialogue is SO bad, and some of the acting (including Wahlberg's) is SO corny that you can't help chuckling from time to time.  I thought the first half hour or so was pretty good, but M. Night got himself to the edge of a slippery slope and started a rapid plunge down hill from which he could never recover.  In the tradition of UNBREAKABLE and THE VILLAGE, the ending is totally flat and unsatisfying.  My suggestion is wait for the DVD release, THEN wait for someone else to buy or rent it and invite yourself over.  When you get there, don't watch it.  Watch MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL for the 100th time instead.  It's a much more rewarding experience and you'll thank yourself in the morning.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:35:26 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »

Yeah Shamalamadingdong's "twists" never seem to pan up to much  My brother called the twist in the first 10 minutes of The Sixth Sense.  I recall watching Signs and having the laugh of my life after it.  The fact a huge alien threat can be thwarted with the means Mr. Shamalamadingdong implies is pure idiocy.   The best laugh I had was when my wife mentioned the alien home video reminded her of the classic bigfoot one.  She was most definitely spot on. BounceGiggle

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »

Yeah, after seeing Signs, I had to wonder, as many others did. If humans went to invade a planet with oceans of sulfuric acid, where all life was full of sulfuric acid, sulfuric acid vapour was nearly always present in the air, and sulfuric acid periodically rained down from the sky, would we go without any kind of protective suit?

I don't see that as nitpicking. It's just common sense.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Inferno
Bad Movie Lover

Resident Jenova's Witness

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 12:33:49 AM »

I still say M Night stole the Signs movie ending from an Invader Zim episode.
Seriously. Go look up "the wettening", If he didn't see that; I would be totally suprised.
akiratubo

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 01:52:14 AM »

would we go without any kind of protective suit?

Not only that, would we try to attack the sulfuric acid filled life forms with our hands and teeth?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 07:10:49 AM »

Here are some statistics and (sometimes hilarious) quotes from rottentomatoes.com:

60 out of 76 contributors gave this movie a “rotten tomato” rating.  Overall, it scored 21 on a scale of 100.

You feel like you're not watching the end of the world but the end of a career.”

BounceGiggle

“There's a long tradition of receiving messages from burning bushes, but jiggling bushes are not to be trusted, and neither are filmmakers who ask us to shiver in their leafy midst.”

TeddyR

“It's downright stupid.”

“No one will watch any of Shyamalan's recent films twice. A movie that features Wahlberg suggesting everyone try to outrun the wind can barely be watched once.”

TeddyR

“Wahlberg turns in one of his worst performances ever, but then he's saddled with preposterous scenes (like one where he tries to placate a ficus) and such lame lines as "Could this really be happening?" Funny, I was wondering the same thing myself.”

“...bad in more than just an everyday, sure-does-suck kind of way.”

“The greatest excuse yet to get that anti-M. Night petition started. The last thing we want is a future of Shyamalan films with the knowledge that we all could have done something sooner.”

“The Happening quickly deteriorates into the worst movie of M. Night Shyamalan's career... and that's saying something
.”

TeddyR

“one of the worst attempts at end-of-the-world ominousness since the Robot Holocaust battled the Ninja Apocalypse”

TeddyR

“The true disaster on display in The Happening is Shyamalan's career hitting rock bottom.”

TeddyR BounceGiggle Karma for those, Burgomaster.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »

Anyway, my opinion is, like most of M. Night's efforts, this was a pretty good idea for a movie that went horribly wrong.  Some of the dialogue is SO bad, and some of the acting (including Wahlberg's) is SO corny that you can't help chuckling from time to time. 

I just happen to see The Happening yesterday.  Didn't like it that much.  I agree with you Burgo about the dialogue, it was pretty stupid.  The worst parts for dialouge were IMO:

Most of the stuff the National guard dude said.
When Wahlberg was talking to the tree (The theater laughed at that)

The part that I hated the most of the whole film was ending.  I won't spoil it for anyone, unless they want to know I can PM them about it.  I told my date that the ending was so predictable I knew it would happen.

Another thing that I think was stupid was that the cause of why the plants did what they did.  It's never explained and it's never really given a proper ending to it.  Too many loose ends.
GLKnight
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 02:03:08 AM »

And to think, his NEXT movie is a live-action version of Avatar: the Last Airbender...

Well, at least he didn't write it. And thank god he doesn't do choreography. And the twist better be all female characters actually have big breasts to disprove you need sleek bodies to do athletics... and make sure the older men and teenage boys who go to see it actually stick around till the ending.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 02:50:17 PM »

MNS is the greatest filmmaker of all time!

...just ask him Lookingup

I liked Unbreakable, but I also love comics and still think 6th sense is one of the most overrated movies of all time, so take that context for what its worth.

I still say M Night stole the Signs movie ending from an Invader Zim episode.
Seriously. Go look up "the wettening", If he didn't see that; I would be totally suprised.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle I'm not sure which came out first, but I AM sure that one was influenced by the other...and that the more you think about it the less sense it makes.

Anyone feel free to PM the twist (and what the hell the 'M' stands for while you're at it) as I'm getting this wretched teenager urge to run into the theatre, yell it, and run out. Lady in the Water confirmed my fears that MNS is exactly what you get when you tell a second rate indie movie man that they're a first rate blockbuster movie man.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
akiratubo

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »

And the twist better be all female characters actually have big breasts

Dude, they're like 12 and 13 years old.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 05:47:41 PM »

Somebody PM the twist to me too. I get the impression it has something to do with plants turning against us by evolving some kind of psychoactive substance. If that's the case, then there is really nothing to spoil. Another cool trailer for a lame movie by M. Night.

---------------------
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 12:35:22 AM »

Anyone feel free to PM the twist (and what the hell the 'M' stands for while you're at it)

According to IMDB his real name is Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan

I think if you run that through bablefish.com you'll find Manoj Nelliyattu is Hindu for mediocre filmmaker.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 04:40:32 AM »

Hmmmm, I think I'll be calling him M. Nelly Shyamalan from now on  TeddyR

---------------------
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  M. Night Shamalamadingdong « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.