Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:36:51 AM
714358 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Great Dog Search... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Great Dog Search...  (Read 5814 times)
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« on: June 14, 2008, 08:14:55 AM »

I've been thinking about getting a dog. I haven't had a dog in years..The problem is, i'm just not sure what kind I should look for. I know I dont want some little cutesy ankle-biter. I need a good guard dog but don't want one that is too volatile. I went and looked at a boxer, but something about the dog kinda weirded me out and we didn't 'click' if you know what i mean..
I've been thinking along the lines of a german shepard or a doberman. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Menard
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »

I've been thinking about getting a dog. I haven't had a dog in years..The problem is, i'm just not sure what kind I should look for. I know I dont want some little cutesy ankle-biter. I need a good guard dog but don't want one that is too volatile. I went and looked at a boxer, but something about the dog kinda weirded me out and we didn't 'click' if you know what i mean..
I've been thinking along the lines of a german shepard or a doberman. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Uh...yeah...glad you steered away from any potentially volatile breeds. Lookingup

If you want a beautiful animal and you are considering a Doberman, look at a Pit Bull/Doberman mix.

Out of the two you mentioned, I'd consider the German Shepherd. Look at the background on the dog first, though. Shepherds are more than capable and one of the more easily trained of dog breeds.

If you are wanting a dog can be an excellent family dog but still has good size, you might consider a Lab or Lab mix.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:56 AM »

As far a guard dog goes you need to decide what type you want, the larger dogs are certainly more  intimidating, especially if they've been trained to a level you feel is adequate for your needs. You should get advice from a professional trainer in this regard. On the other hand a dog or dogs that let you know when strangers come around are pretty good too, we have a pair of beagles who, although they wouldn't attack or bite without provocation, go ape when strangers approach the gate to the front yard. A pair of barking, baying, howling beagles is pretty impressive and intimidating if you don't know them, plus our two pooches are just as loud greeting people they know but in a way that lets us know we have company, they're much better than any doorbell I've ever had.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:08:01 PM »

My dog is a shepard/collie mix, it's a pretty good mix, fun and protective, I like it.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »

I'm a bit prejudice since I grew up with German Shepherds, but they definitely get my vote. Even though your Shepherd may be as gentle as a baby lamb, most evil-doers find their looks very intimidating.

Shepherds do tend to be strictly 'one-person dogs' which may or may not be a good thing in your situation. If the dog bonds to you, any spouse, friends, etc. will be largely ignored, unless they regularly carry treats in their pockets.  Smile

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Sister Grace

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »

First of all, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm pretty sure we are gonna be looking at german shepards. I do plan on getting advice from a trainer so hopefully everything will go well. I know since we live out in the country, whatever dog we decide on, he/she will have a great home and good enviroment.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »

First of all, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm pretty sure we are gonna be looking at german shepards. I do plan on getting advice from a trainer so hopefully everything will go well. I know since we live out in the country, whatever dog we decide on, he/she will have a great home and good enviroment.

Shepard's are great dog but they are prone to hip problems which can be very painful for the dog and very expensive for the owner. So if you go with a GS then find a reputable breeder than can produce generation of breeding papers. Do not buy of some puppy mill or chain store. If the place you are getting the dog looks dirty and untidy then pass. Insure that they've had there shots on schedule and check with their Vet to see if they keep their dogs health up to snuff and the records.
If they try to tell you they give the shots themselves be careful they might not have.

You down in Dresden right? One of my running buddies is a Vet in Mayfield he might have leads on quality breeders.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:24:34 AM »

Sister Grace: Rhodesian Ridgebacks are a breed to consider.

Charlize Theron has one and they come from the same place I was born in, so they're not bad really.  Wink

www.rhodesianridgeback.org.za
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:27:38 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »

Charlize Theron has one and they come from the same place I was born in, so they're not bad really.  Wink

Does the dog come with Charlize Theron ... if so I'll take 2 or 3 or 4 ... etc.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:23:02 AM »

Does the dog come with Charlize Theron ... if so I'll take 2 or 3 or 4 ... etc.

BounceGiggle TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Sister Grace

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 07:22:14 AM »

Shepard's are great dog but they are prone to hip problems which can be very painful for the dog and very expensive for the owner. So if you go with a GS then find a reputable breeder than can produce generation of breeding papers. Do not buy of some puppy mill or chain store. If the place you are getting the dog looks dirty and untidy then pass. Insure that they've had there shots on schedule and check with their Vet to see if they keep their dogs health up to snuff and the records.
If they try to tell you they give the shots themselves be careful they might not have.

You down in Dresden right? One of my running buddies is a Vet in Mayfield he might have leads on quality breeders.

If you could, please email me your buddie's contact information or the name of his Vet office. We're still buzzed around here about finding a good dog. Its been almost eight years since I had a dog, we had a chocolate lab named Sampson forever and when he passed I just couldn't bring myself to get another one.The only downside is i've got so much information from family that I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I know my brother said that I should look at the pads on thier feet, because discoloration can be a sign of inbreeding ?!!? Is this true or an old wive's tale? Also I came across a six month old dobie b***h that seems like a good dog, she's good with her owner's kids and she's already house-trained; however i've heard that its best to get gaurd dogs as a puppy, but the dog seems fine to me. Should I put any stock into the raising them from a pup theory?

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »

If you could, please email me your buddie's contact information or the name of his Vet office.

PM sent

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »

Always best to look up any breed and get some handle on temperament, energy level, common physical defects of the breed, and grooming requirements.

I have a Brittany, which is a friendly, lovable dog, but it sheds, requires regular brushing and periodic haircuts, needs a lot of exercise, and is emotionally kind of over-sensitive. A Brittany also takes about five years to mature from the neck up.

So, which breed you want is a matter of personal preference, but be sure to answer those questions.

And never, never, never buy a puppy from a pet store or a backyard breeder. Go to a reputable kennel and you'll know what you're getting for your money (and that the dogs are treated well).

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »

We have four dogs  . . . an annoying little Bohemian Nostril Hound named Ali (she belongs to my mother-in-law, and is the most annoying dog on earth), and a big, amiable black lab named Dixie (see Humorous Captions board, "What Is Dixie Thinking?".

But in our field, to watch the goats, we have one purebred Great Pyrhennes and one that is half Pyrhennes and half Anatolian Shepherd.  They are both sweet, loyal, good natured beasts.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Sister Grace

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 07:37:43 AM »

Well, she's here! We finally got our dog. On her papers, we named her Rose Connolly, my daughter is rather fond of that ballad. Anyways, she's doing great and she took right up with my daughter, following her from room to room.

btw, thank you Cheezflix for all your help   Smile

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Great Dog Search... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.