Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:05:06 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A MIGHTY WIND (2003) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A MIGHTY WIND (2003)  (Read 10652 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: June 14, 2008, 10:03:28 PM »

This is hands down a classic....can't believe I took so long to get round to watching it, considering I was a big fan of SPINAL TAP, WAITING FOR GUFFMAN, and BEST IN SHOW, all done by the same team....this one is better than all of them. genius. I won't say "genius" often, this film really is though... the songs composed for the film are amazing, and the actors are all teriffic...did anyone else like this film?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:54:37 PM »

I absolutely love this movie, but I really must get to bed, so I'll have to elaborate later.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »

I saw this during its brief theatrical release and then bought the DVD.  Very funny stuff.  Bob Balaban is priceless.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »

I like the guy they make where a uniform when they sing till he like makes the team, then he can wear his "skivvies"

and when the guy says that they should stop the song and thrown water on one guy and have him go "wha happen?"
peter johnson

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »

The song parodies were spot-on, if you've ever listened to The Weavers or Pete Seeger, who are catching the brunt of most of the satire here --
I will watch a film solely on the fact that Catherine O'Hara is in it, as I think she's easily the best actress working in comedy today.
I must say I didn't like this one as much as "Guffman" or "For Your Consideration", as there seemed to be less at stake for the characters involved.  Great comedy comes from great conflict, and the attempt to pull off a reunion show/reunion record just didn't have the same oomph as trying to get rich and famous did in "Guffman" and "Consideration".
Still, I love the ensemble & can't wait for their next outing --
peter johnson/denny team player

I have no idea what this means.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:58:48 PM »

and when the guy says that they should stop the song and thrown water on one guy and have him go "wha happen?"

Fred Willard is great in this. Nobody plays an annoying twit like he does. Loved all of his catchphrases: "Wha happen?" "I can't do my work!" "I don't think so."

The Folksmen made me laugh quite a bit too, especially Guest's perfect Glenn Yarbrough singing voice.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 02:36:10 PM »

I, too, enjoyed this one a great deal. I think I may like Guffman a tad more, if only because I know a guy who looks/sounds almost exactly like Corky. Of course, I've been told I look like Guest's character in The Princess Bride, except I only have five fingers per hand and no medieval haircut, so I'm not sure what that says about me. I will agree that the songs are spot on, and I will add that while Fred Willard and Katherine O'Hara are each great performers by themselves, together they are almost magic. They make an almost unbeatable comedy team.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 09:21:20 AM »

This one's definitely a good one.  I like all their movies, really, but this is funny.  Fred Willard is the man.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:54:27 PM »

glad people are liking this. some of the amazon reviews slate it hard. I also read a review in NME I think when it came out saying it ws boring. Question

I must say I didn't like this one as much as "Guffman" or "For Your Consideration",

not heard of this film... is it by the same cast/chris guest, etc?

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:21:48 PM »

glad people are liking this. some of the amazon reviews slate it hard. I also read a review in NME I think when it came out saying it ws boring. Question

I must say I didn't like this one as much as "Guffman" or "For Your Consideration",

not heard of this film... is it by the same cast/chris guest, etc?

Yes.  Many of the same cast/crew return.  Came out about 2 years ago.  I didn't get to see this one, but heard a bunch of good praise.  I am actually gonna look it up when I hit the store though, as it looked very funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Your_Consideration_%28film%29

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »

^ yeah me too, def want to see this now.

I remember Ricky Gervais being interviewed about being in a US film, didn't realise it was this one.

peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 04:34:37 PM »

"For Your Consideration" returns to the vicious politics of showbiz like "Guffman" did, though now it's film instead of stage.  Yes, everyone returns/all the old familiar faces -- O'Hara is, as usual, brilliant as she gets a chance to make fun of all the self-absorbed actresses she's ever worked with.  Fred Willard does his usual clueless turn as some sort of Entertainment Tonight talking head.  It's a keeper --
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Torgo

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »

Hilarious flick.

The songs are terrific and funny.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A MIGHTY WIND (2003) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.