Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:44:28 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Shoot... my converter isn't working (or something) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shoot... my converter isn't working (or something)  (Read 3504 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 18, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »

So, my stepdad came over today and helped me to hook up my digital converter.  The problem is, I've already got a converter hooked up for my DVD player (my TV's the old kind without the audio video jacks built it) so I wasn't sure if I could "piggy back" my digital converter on top of that one or not.

Anyway, we first decided to disconnect everything else and just hook up the converter to make sure it work.  Well, we got it to work, and then we told it scan for channel signals, it scanned and came up with NO signals. 

Now, without the converter, I can get about four channels on my TV, one comes in a bit blurry, but still. 

So, we're not sure what's wrong, but we have two theories, either something is wrong with the box (which I doubt) or it has something to do with the antenna on top of the apartment complex where I live.  Not sure what type of setup they got, basically I'm told there's an antenna on the roof of the building for all the TVs here.

Not sure if this would affect anything, but they' also running a close circuit feed of two video cameras located in the hotel on channel four.  (Don't know why, the channel has a huge black bar in the middle of it and you can barely see anything on it.)  Like I said, not sure if that would affect anything, but we tried putting the converter on channel three and four, and neither came up with any signals.

So, I dunno... Jim (my stepdad) is going to take the box home with him and see if they can get it too work on one of their TVs.  In the meantime, I guess I'll call over to the apartment owners and see if they know anything about it when their office reopens. 

Just wondered if maybe any of you guys might now any possible reason for this I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »

I've had digital TV for a couple of months now and have had nothing but problems getting certain channels to come in.
There are no tall buildings or trees near my apartment.  I'ts wide open.  So there should be no problems getting the signal.
Certain channels seem to have minds of their own as to whether they want to come in clearly or not.
ABC will be just fine for a week and NBC won't come in.  Then they'll swap and NBC will come in great and ABC will start being a little b***h.
Right now I'm on my 3rd antenna.  It has a pre-amp (powered antenna) and I still can't get all the channels to always come in all of the time.
It's going to come down to me having to buy an extremely expensive antenna (over $100) to get any kind of decent reception.

You can try this website for advice, but good luck if any of it will work:
(it's the one the federal government will point you to)

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

If your converter works on another TV, then you know it's your antenna.
Until you find a good antenna, be prepared for pixelated images, freeze frames, stuttering audio and a whole list of other problems.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:01:39 PM by Ash » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:34:27 PM »

Are any of your neighbors having the same issues?  If so, I'd suspect the complex antenna.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BTM

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »

Are any of your neighbors having the same issues?  If so, I'd suspect the complex antenna.

I haven't asked, course a lot of my neighbors have cable, so they're not worried about it.  (Which is weird how they can afford it since few of them seem to be employed, but that's another thread entirely.)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Shoot... my converter isn't working (or something) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.