Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:42:47 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Innocents (1961) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Innocents (1961)  (Read 3384 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 18, 2008, 08:12:33 AM »

screenplay by Truman Capote based on "the turning of the screw".  ultra creepy haunted house tale in black and white.  What begins as a wonderful new governess coming to a wonderful estate to take care of two wonderful kids turns not so wonderful very quickly.   There are some undealt with issues just under the surface, issues the new governess is enormously sensitive too,  while everyone else is content to go on pretending they aren't there.  terrifying "Ringu" like apparitions appear or do they?  way recommended

^creepy ass kid standing over governess played by Deborah Kerr
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:14:24 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:25:19 PM »

One of my favorite films of all time -- I see it every chance I get -- A few years back, the local public library showed it on their big screen.  Took my wife, who'd never seen it -- she loved it too.  Really holds up well . . . "Enter, my Lord!"
peter johnson/denny boo!!

I have no idea what this means.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:02:07 AM »

I bought this DVD a couple of months ago, but I must admit I wasn't blown away by it.  There were a few creepy moments, but not enough of them (and they weren't creepy enough).  Maybe I wasn't in the right mood to watch it.  I think THE HAUNTING (original version) is a superior chiller.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
peter johnson

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »

Give it another chance -- I like The Haunting also, but this is a different species.

The threat of The Haunting is palpably supernatural, while most of the tension in Turn of The Screw (The Innocents) is what part of what's going on is inside Deborah Kerr's head & how much of it is really going on in the house & gardens.  If you let in the possibility that she's guilty of killing the boy at the end due to her paranoid delusions, I think it becomes much more horrible than The Haunting, but for different reasons. 

It's the whole "are the spirits real or hallucinations, or some unknown mixture of both" thing that makes the film for me, aside from the masterful editing, pacing, and sharp black and white cinematography.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:49:55 PM »

I bought this DVD a couple of months ago, but I must admit I wasn't blown away by it.  There were a few creepy moments, but not enough of them (and they weren't creepy enough).  Maybe I wasn't in the right mood to watch it.  I think THE HAUNTING (original version) is a superior chiller.
You definitely weren't in the right mood; though I've gone on record criticising THE HAUNTING, a film I love (and I love Shirley Jackson's books, too) it's only because I've seen it too many times.  Yet, I've seen THE INNOCENTS maybe even more, and it holds up remarkably well and better for me.  The more I watch it, the more convinced I am that the governess is mad, but... I am unsure.  I am sure it's a superior chiller. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »

Of all the versions of Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw," this is probably the best. And Martin Stephens, who plays Miles in the film, (IMHO) turns in one of the best child performances I have ever seen in a film. He is equally good in the previous year's "Village of the Damned."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Innocents (1961) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.