Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:02:07 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The AFI's 10 top 10 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The AFI's 10 top 10  (Read 12774 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: June 18, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »

The top ten movies in each of 10 movie genres. I watched this last night and they did actually pick some decent movies.

http://www.afi.com/10top10/

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:55:17 PM »

I saw a little bit of this last night.  The 10 films in each category were not bad, subject to the usual picks intended to generate debate, but... I was disappointed that horror was not deemed one of the top ten categories.  It was not even lumped in with fantasy; the only movie on the fantasy list that might qualify as horror is KING KONG.  No BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN anywhere to be found. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »

I saw a little bit of this last night.  The 10 films in each category were not bad, subject to the usual picks intended to generate debate, but... I was disappointed that horror was not deemed one of the top ten categories.  It was not even lumped in with fantasy; the only movie on the fantasy list that might qualify as horror is KING KONG.  No BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN anywhere to be found. 
Good comments; I'll log in and karma you.  BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is on my top 10 list, and though that list is easily reassessable, that film will always occupy some spot in the top 10. 

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,118621.0.html

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »

There you are, AllHallows!!! Karma to you, sir!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »

My family owns EVERY animation movie on that list, my dad and I were making our predictions that night as we watched, Alladin didn't win animation or fantasy though, what a rip.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:44:50 PM »

Whoa, whoa whoa ... you mean "Back to the Future" made the list but the grandfather of Sci-Fi "Metropolis" didn't? Some wrong with that list.

And since when was just regular old COMEDY not a classic genera? Oh they had Romantic Comedy, what about all the others?

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »

Whoa, whoa whoa ... you mean "Back to the Future" made the list but the grandfather of Sci-Fi "Metropolis" didn't? Some wrong with that list.

And since when was just regular old COMEDY not a classic genera? Oh they had Romantic Comedy, what about all the others?

I think "Metropolis" is regarded as being a German film, and as A.F.I. stands for the American Film Institute, only American films are included. Of course, I have seen "The Third Man" claimed both by the A.F.I., as being American, and the B.F.I. or British Film Institute as being British.

I have two basic problems with the list.

On a more personal level, while the films chosen are "good," and they are "good," I never have equated "good" with "enjoyable." Indeed, there are a number of "bad" films, which have been reviewed here, that I find more "enjoyable," than the films chosen by the A.F.I.

And on a less personal level, I have a problem with some of the film generas chosen. As several of the film generas chosen are actually subsets of the more classic film generas. Animation would mostly fall under fantasy. Romantic comedy under comedy. Sports and courtroon drama under drama. Gangster under mystery or drama. And Epic under war or action and adventure.  Thus, here are the ten classic film generas that (IMHO) the A.F.I. should have used.

Action and adventure
Comedy
Drama
Fantasy
Horror
Musical
Mystery
Science Fiction
War
and Western
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 03:14:22 PM »

I think "Metropolis" is regarded as being a German film, and as A.F.I. stands for the American Film Institute, only American films are included. Of course, I have seen "The Third Man" claimed both by the A.F.I., as being American, and the B.F.I. or British Film Institute as being British.

On a more personal level, while the films chosen are "good," and they are "good," I never have equated "good" with "enjoyable." Indeed, there are a number of "bad" films, which have been reviewed here, that I find more "enjoyable," than the films chosen by the A.F.I.

And on a less personal level, I have a problem with some of the film generas chosen. As several of the film generas chosen are actually subsets of the more classic film generas. Animation would mostly fall under fantasy. Romantic comedy under comedy. Sports and courtroon drama under drama. Gangster under mystery or drama. And Epic under war or action and adventure.  Thus, here are the ten classic film generas that (IMHO) the A.F.I. should have used.

Action and adventure
Comedy
Drama
Fantasy
Horror
Musical
Mystery
Science Fiction
War
and Western

Nonsense!  That's fair, varied, and a guarantee to have a place for every movie!  Balderdash!  BounceGiggle

Yes, salad.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »

Action and adventure
Comedy
Drama
Fantasy
Horror
Musical
Mystery
Science Fiction
War
and Western

Nonsense!  That's fair, varied, and a guarantee to have a place for every movie!  Balderdash!  BounceGiggle

Yes, you are right. It is fair, unless you are a fan of . . .

Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula
The Exorcist
Frankenstein
Halloween
Night of the Living Dead
Psycho
Rosemary's Baby
The Wolfman
etc.

The A.F.I has managed to ignore a whole film genera, that over the years has managed to create several films, those named and others,  that are far superior to the ones celebrated by the A.F.I.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »

I think "Metropolis" is regarded as being a German film, and as A.F.I. stands for the American Film Institute, only American films are included.

Hey it was pre WWII so I think that we should claim it as ours now, war booty.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »

Action and adventure
Comedy
Drama
Fantasy
Horror
Musical
Mystery
Science Fiction
War
and Western

Yes, you are right. It is fair, unless you are a fan of . . .

Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula
The Exorcist
Frankenstein
Halloween
Night of the Living Dead
Psycho
Rosemary's Baby
The Wolfman
etc.

The A.F.I has managed to ignore a whole film genera, that over the years has managed to create several films, those named and others,  that are far superior to the ones celebrated by the A.F.I.

I'm not sure if you misread me or if I misread you but when I posted that I meant that your idea was fair varied and guaranteed for a place with every movie.  Unfortunatley there's no sarcasm emoticon to allow me to express that so I can see where a mistake can be found.

Yes, salad.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »

Unfortunatley there's no sarcasm emoticon to allow me to express that so I can see where a mistake can be found.
You're riiiiiiight, there iiiiiiisn't Lookingup

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 04:31:16 PM »

Unfortunatley there's no sarcasm emoticon to allow me to express that so I can see where a mistake can be found.
You're riiiiiiight, there iiiiiiisn't Lookingup

Okay, you got me on that one.

Yes, salad.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The AFI's 10 top 10 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.