Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:02:47 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I've been had! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I've been had!  (Read 3775 times)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« on: June 18, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »

Well I had been worried about ths happening before, as an avid buyer of used movies. Monkeyshines: An Experiment in Fear just came in the mail, and the "collector's booklet" they list on the back is missing! Bluesad Monkeyshines being one of George Romero's less-appreciated films I am greatly disappointed by the loss, but not all that shocked, as someone could have simply, absent-mindedly taken it out before they sold it used. I will be pretty ticked if the packet advertised as being in "Day of the Jackal" is missing, seeing as it's supposed to be 8 pages long!

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Does anyone else care? Lookingup Would it be too much trouble for someone with the full package to type up a transcript for me? Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:16:46 AM »

The Rome S1 box set states it's supposed to have a booklet.  I bought it, brand new, on sale at BB recently.  No booklet.  Should I have have taken it back to the store and make them open other box sets until they find one with a booklet like I did with Dune?

Not with current gas prices.  Now if I'd paid full price. . .

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:32:37 AM »

I buy all my DVDs used, but I'm not the type of person who cares about inserts or the condition of the box or anything.  Just so long as the DVD plays perfectly.  I think I've gotten about 3 bad DVDs out of maybe 150.  Two looked to be in perfect condition, probably manufacturing defects.  I pay about 20 - 40% of the new price, so even if half of them were bad I'd still be saving money.  But it's more like 2%, which is about what I experienced buying new ones as well.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »

ALL?  Buggedout

I applaud you, sir.

What if you want rarefied cult titles like HUNDRA, KEKKO KAMEN, ZOMBIE LAKE, CURSE OF THE DEVIL, FLESH GORDON, &tc?  What about TV shows?  Some, like Buck Rogers, Sliders, and Stargate SG-1 have all be on sale within the past 3-6 months at various B&M retailers for around 20 bucks.  I doubt you'd find them cheaper used.

Or can you?

I know a few stores, like Fye's, sells used DVDs.  But I've rummage through them and found DVDs in there USED that were more expensive than the SAME TITLE, brand new, in the SAME STORE.  Aside from them the only place for used DVDs I know of are Flea Markets and (so I've been told but haven't yet tried) Pawn Shops.

Where do you buy your used DVDs from?  Online?

EDIT: You don't even go to Big Lots or Wol*Fart?  Big Lots has had some interesting remaindered titles for *gasp* $3!  I picked up the Superbit Johnny Mnemonic for that price, new, still in the shrinkwrap.  No, seriously, I mean I never took it out of the shrink wrap.   BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:32:43 AM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »

I buy them from the vendors on Amazon.com.  Whenever you look at a DVD or CD on Amazon, they list how many copies are available used and what the lowest price is.  I don't think I've ever seen a title that was available new that wasn't also available used.  On the other hand I've seen a lot of titles available used that aren't available new. 

Currently at Amazon:
Hundra:  12.99 new, 8.49 used
Kekko Kamen:  26.99 new, 11.99 used
Zombie Lake:  9.99 new, 5.46 used
Curse of the Devil:  12.99 new, 6.90 used
Flesh Gordon:  26.99 new, 21.46 used

Of course you have to look at what condition it's in, I usually get "very good" or "like new" stuff.  And you're not going to find a great deal on every title all the time.  I've got a 4 page wishlist at Amazon, and when I'm in the mood to buy something I just scroll through it and look at the used prices, usually you can get a great deal on something you want.  It works especially great for people like me who watch really bad movies - Amazon may want the full retail price for a new copy, but the vendors know that if they don't just about give the things away, they'll be sitting in their inventory forever.

For instance:
Mustang Sally's Horror House:  21.99 new, 2.76 used
Sabertooth:  12.99 new, 1.77 used
Decadent Evil II:  17.99 new, 6.13 used
Star Wars Episode 2:  17.99 new, 1.47 used
Snakes on a Plane:  11.99 new, .82 used
The Cave:  12.99 new, .01 used

I haven't looked at the  condition of any of those, you might have to pay a buck or two more to get up into the "very good" condition ones.  I look at the feedback too.  If somebody's 98% positive, and they advertise something as being in good condition, light surface scratches, guaranteed to play perfectly, chances are it'll play perfectly or they'll refund your money. 

I usually buy TV shows new, they're pretty cheap and you usually can't get much of a bargain used. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:07:53 PM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:05:18 AM »

I buy them from the vendors on Amazon.com.  Whenever you look at a DVD or CD on Amazon, they list how many copies are available used and what the lowest price is.  I don't think I've ever seen a title that was available new that wasn't also available used.  On the other hand I've seen a lot of titles available used that aren't available new. 

Currently at Amazon:
Hundra:  12.99 new, 8.49 used
Kekko Kamen:  26.99 new, 11.99 used
Zombie Lake:  9.99 new, 5.46 used
Curse of the Devil:  12.99 new, 6.90 used
Flesh Gordon:  26.99 new, 21.46 used

I got the Kekko Kamen live action box set for around thirty bucks, new, and that includes: Kekko Kamen, Kekko Kamen Returns, Kekko Kamen Surprise! and Kekko Kamen: The MGF Strikes Back.  No B&M retailer has ever carried Hundra (that I've seen) and it's been a long while since I've seen Flesh Gordon in any, but if you look around those should be available at better prices.   Same with Curse of the Devil.  Then again it's just been re-released by BCI/Deimos.  I got my AB DVD a while back, new, for $5 and it currently lists on eBay for as cheap as $1.  I actually bought Zombie Lake when it first came out so I have no idea what the prices are like for that, then again it's OOP, but whatever you pay it's worth every penny!   TeddyR

Of course you have to look at what condition it's in, I usually get "very good" or "like new" stuff.  And you're not going to find a great deal on every title all the time.  I've got a 4 page wishlist at Amazon, and when I'm in the mood to buy something I just scroll through it and look at the used prices, usually you can get a great deal on something you want.  It works especially great for people like me who watch really bad movies - Amazon may want the full retail price for a new copy, but the vendors know that if they don't just about give the things away, they'll be sitting in their inventory forever.

For instance:
Mustang Sally's Horror House:  21.99 new, 2.76 used
Sabertooth:  12.99 new, 1.77 used
Decadent Evil II:  17.99 new, 6.13 used
Star Wars Episode 2:  17.99 new, 1.47 used
Snakes on a Plane:  11.99 new, .82 used
The Cave:  12.99 new, .01 used

But how much is the S&H?

If it looks too good to be true the vendors probably gouging you on S&H.

The Cave can be had, new, for around $5.  Don't know about the others. 

I haven't looked at the  condition of any of those, you might have to pay a buck or two more to get up into the "very good" condition ones.  I look at the feedback too.  If somebody's 98% positive, and they advertise something as being in good condition, light surface scratches, guaranteed to play perfectly, chances are it'll play perfectly or they'll refund your money. 

I usually buy TV shows new, they're pretty cheap and you usually can't get much of a bargain used. 

And some series you can't find much of a bargain on, new or used, ever.

Cheers

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:42:08 AM »

S&H is usually about 2.98 or so.  Probably about what Amazon charges.  I figure with gas being what it is these days, it's probably a bargain.  If somebody wants more than that, they're not getting my business  Smile
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:45:15 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »

Aside from the el cheapo DVD's at Big Lots I buy about 90% previewed, and I can inspect the disc prior to purchase and they come with a life time warranty, so why pay full price? The only DVD's I buy new are those hard to find, not that popular or specialty titles. I've bought nearly 5000 DVD's and so far I've only gotten 1 bad one used, can't say that about new ones where I have gotten several new bad disc.
I rarely pay attention to the inserts so that's not a issue.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I've been had! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.