Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:08:55 AM
714199 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Yahoo's 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands list « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Yahoo's 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands list  (Read 14700 times)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 01:19:33 AM »

Wow.  A fictional 'band' and a couple I've never heard of, ever, made the list.  If they're going to include fictional bands, pop and hard rock, then why didn't the Sex Pistols make the list?

Where's Motley Crue?  Cinderella?  Dokken?  Exodus?  Savatage?  White Snake?  Overkill?  Twisted Sister? And why no love for WHITE ZOMBIE or ROB ZOMBIE?  (Or did I miss that entry?)  Hell why not include Stryper too while we're at it, at least they're a METAL band!

I don't know about being the best heavy metal ever but here's some bands I used to listen to, even wore out a few tapes, back in the day. . .

BLOOD FEAST
CELTIC FROST
CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER
CIRITH UNGOL
DARK ANGEL
THE ENGLISH DOGS
GRIM REAPER
MEGADETH
POST MORTEM
MAN OF WAR
NECROPHAGIA
PLASMATICS
VENOM
WASP
WENDY O. WILLIAMS

And what about all those metal bands that never made it whose tapes/records you'd find in the used section or tracks of on demo collections?  Bands like. . .

LIERS IN WAIT
MEDIEVAL

Okay so I can't remember 'em, still they're more worthy of inclusion than some of what did get included, IMHO.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:26:38 AM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »

I know I'm not really qualified to be commenting on this list since I'm not a huge metal fan, but I've got a question for the true metal heads: Is Led Zeppelin really considered a "metal" band? People question Aerosmith's inclusion, but I've heard more harder stuff from them than from Plant's crew. I never listened to a lot of Led Zeppelin, granted, because I've always thought they were overrated and pretentious, but I admit their popularity. But I have never considered them to be "heavy metal." Rock, certainly. Hard rock, probably. But heavy metal? And will I be visited by heavy metal ninja assassins for questioning the sheer awesomeness of the Zep?  TongueOut

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »

Led Zeppelin could probably be best categorized as hard rock.  (As would IRON BUTTERFLY but perhaps not their contemporaries like JEFFERSON AIRPLANE or WOMB.)  If you read the intro pasted onto the article it's obvious the compiler of the list is vaguely aware of the various categories and distinctions but is beyond clueless.  I give him kudos for trying to cover up his ignorance but to equate Punk with Heavy Metal is beyond innane.

Punk had it's own range and it crossed over into the harder rock side, but I don't think anyone that actually knows the music would confuse 45 GRAVE, SKINNY PUPPY, the DEAD KENNEDY'S or DEVO for heavy metal bands.  Granted some 80s bands were borderline, like SAINT VITUS or BLACK FLAG, but what about SUICIDAL TENDANCIES?  Skater punk, yes.  Heavy Metal, not really.

One distinguishing factor of Metal bands, especially circa the 80s, was their names.  I could give you a list of random bands and I bet you could tell me 9 times out of ten which were metal bands.  For instance which of the following would you say are Metal bands. . .

SWA
RAMONES
DREAM DEATH
VELVET UNDERGROUND
TALKING HEADS
BLONDIE
THE CLASH
NUCLEAR ASSAULT
VOIVOD
IGGY POP
WARGASM

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 11:13:24 AM »

I read the article and the comments after the article, and I agree with the assessment that the list writer is a poser. My "complaint" (too strong a word, but the right word escapes me at the moment) is that, in the comments, people cried foul when he included Aerosmith, Rush, Jimi Hendrix, etc., but no one mentioned that LZ was not a metal band. I guess it's my personal vendetta against Plant & co. to point out stuff like this. The list is pretty meaningless to me as I have only listened extensively to a handful of the bands on the list. It is just mildly irksome to me that drivel like "Stairway to Heaven" gets so revered while songs that actually have a meaning get overlooked, and that LZ can do no wrong in the minds of so many. I realize it's a taste issue, but I've just never understood LZ's appeal. I guess it's just one more area where I don't fit in...

And not to cause too much of a ruckus, but I do own both of Spinal Tap's albums. I realize they are a "fictional" band, but they at least did write/record their own music. Which is more than you can say for some hugely successful acts, including several that were no less manufactured than Spinal Tap (New Kids, The Monkees, etc.).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 11:38:32 AM »

Wikipedia has what appears to be an excellent etymology of the term "heavy metal."  Chas Chandler, a former manager of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, claimed in a 1995 interview to have invented the term (as it applies to rock music).  This is unsubstantiated.

However, it is documented that "Rolling Stones" critic Mike Saunders used the term in 1970.  Specifically, I guess the first use was in his review of the band "Humble Pie," and the term apparently was VERY uncomplementary whenever Saunders used it.

The article goes on to say that the term was generally viewed as interchangeable with Hard Rock throughout the 70's, and that may specifically be why so many bands (Aerosmith, Led Zep, etc) that we NOW don't really consider Metal wear the label.

The list is pretty meaningless to me as I have only listened extensively to a handful of the bands on the list.

I don't know specifically what bands on that list you ARE familiar with, but I will say that with your love of literature, if you haven't given (older) Iron Maiden a listen, you are missing out.

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner" springs to mind as an excellent adaption of 'classical' poetry into metal.

Actually, Black Sabbath was good at this as well.  A lot of Sabbath is blasted for it's dark, satanic undertones, but I think it was Geezer Butler who pointed out that in their songs, the 'evil' tone was never glorified or praised.  It was always to set a tone of fear or terror, and to stand in contrast to good, purity and lightness.

There is MUCH in metal that is pure poetry set to music.  Metallica's "One" also comes to mind, and there are many, many other examples.

The Yahoo list is metal seen from a "popular culture" lens; true lovers of metal see much more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 05:43:01 AM »

There is MUCH in metal that is pure poetry set to music.  Metallica's "One" also comes to mind, and there are many, many other examples.
The stuff before "And Justice For All" was even better writing wise.  A few were based on Lovecraft tales.  Metal isn't always about spraining your neck headbanging at a concert although sadly many metal heads (especially younger ones) may not get some of the lyrics. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:44:42 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:35 PM »

Wishbone Ash

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 09:29:28 PM »

That list sucked a big sack of doggy doo doo.   Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred

The reason is the following:

Led Zeppelin - Good "Hard Rock" group, does not belong with "Heavy Metal".
Van Halen - Good "Hard Rock" group, does not belong with "Heavy Metal".
Jimi Hendrix - Good "Hard Rock" group, does not belong with "Heavy Metal".
Aerosmith - Good "Hard Rock" group, does not belong with "Heavy Metal".
Deep Purple - Good "Hard Rock" group, does not belong with "Heavy Metal".
Spinal Tap - Never really heard thier stuff.
Rush - Are you serious?????  Did this person run with sissors?
Alice In Chains - Good "Hard Rock" group, does not belong with "Heavy Metal".
Uriah Heep - Never really heard their stuff.

The other bands/persons, Meshuggah, Mercyful Fate, Pantera, Thin Lizzy, Kyuss, Guns 'N' Roses, Kiss, Dio, Robin Trower, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Metallica, AC/DC and Black Sabbath should be on this list.  This person, I believe, does not listen to that much music.  What about bands like Motley Crue, Anthrax, Ozzy Ozbourne, Accept and Grim Reaper to name a few.  I do not know where he got his information but I think that some one else needs to conduct this survey.  Just my 2 cents.  I would put more time and effort in this, but the family thing is calling me away.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 07:13:45 AM »

This list is pointless, someone will just do another in a year's time and it will be totally different and just as stupid.

Heavy Metal has so many off-shoots and sub-genre's you can't really compile a list like this, plus the person who made this list is utterly clueless, half the bands aren't actually "heavy metal" at all.

Eveyone who enjoys this type of music would have their own list and it all creates silly debates that lead to arguing.

I will state this though, ANY "heavy metal" list must always have Judas Priest & Black Sabbath at the top!

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Yahoo's 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands list « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.