Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:50 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best NetFlix Alternative « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Best NetFlix Alternative  (Read 39956 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 20, 2008, 05:46:49 AM »

As you've probably heard, NetFlix is getting rid of what (IMHO) is one of their best features, Profiles.  So I'm looking around for alternatives for me and my family.  I've checked out a little bit of greencine, redbox, itunes, and dvdavenue.

Anyone use any non-NetFlix sources for DVD video rentals? Any opinions on selection? features?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:08:06 AM »

I use two 'Flix alternatives and I wouldn't recommend either.

Blockbuster started out as a good option because it had competitive pricing and you could return movies to your local Blockbuster store and exchange for another while waiting for your next movie to ship. They also gave you monthly coupons for more free rentals. It looks like the plan to get people back into the stores so they'd spend more on movie and game rentals, or buy more popcorn and candy didn't work though, because they've jacked up the prices twice since starting the service. After the second price hike I switched from the "3 movies out at a time with free in-store rental exchanges" to the "1 movie out at a time with no free in-store rental exchanges". I'd get rid of it all together if my queue wasn't filled with movies that NetFlix doesn't offer... though the inventory on these movies is pretty sad because a lot of them are either "very long wait" or become no longer available because they're rare and people keep stealing them.

The other service I subscribe to is GamezNFlix.com. The cool thing is that they offer both movies and videogames and they've got decent prices, so on paper they look like a good alternative to both NetFlix and GameFly. Three big problems though: (1) Their movie selection is very weak. Mostly mainstream stuff and not a lot to choose from. (2) Their inventory of games isn't large enough to support their demand. I've put a lot of Wii games on my queue and I'm forced to go weeks sometimes before something becomes available! (3) Their choice of mailing method is horrible. Even when they do have something to mail to me, it takes a week (sometimes two) before I get it. Hatred

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 07:28:20 AM »

I once saw an add for something like netflix and I want to say the name was horrorflix... I was kinda iffy about it and seemed like a set-up for identity fraud. Anyways, I went back a couple of days later to look at the site and it was gone. So be careful!!

Like AnubisVonMojo, I agree that blockbuster is a complete rip-off.

I wonder exactly how getting rid of the profiles is going to effect netflix?  Bluesad

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 07:43:27 AM »

you could return movies to your local Blockbuster store and exchange for another while waiting for your next movie to ship.

What's funny (to me) is that I have never seen this as a selling point for Blockbuster.  Seems like a gimmick.  I mean, if I WANTED to drive to the store, I'd just use Blockbuster anyway!  Why bother with the mail-in DVD rentals at all?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:31:52 AM »

are they getting rid of user reviews as well?

what is their to the profiles beyond the user reviews?
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »

you could return movies to your local Blockbuster store and exchange for another while waiting for your next movie to ship.
What's funny (to me) is that I have never seen this as a selling point for Blockbuster.  Seems like a gimmick.  I mean, if I WANTED to drive to the store, I'd just use Blockbuster anyway!  Why bother with the mail-in DVD rentals at all?

When it first started, the online service was something like $20 a month for 3-at-a-time. If you watched (or just duped) enough movies, you could rent something like $240 worth of movies or more a month between the mailed movies and the free rental movies, provided you rented nothing but the more expensive new release titles. For our household it was well worth it. The website also offered a large selection of movies that our local store didn't, so that added to the appeal. Of course, in an effort to try and salvage some of that money, the Blockbuster store would hold onto movies for several days before returning them to the nearest routing station, so this greatly slowed the number of mailed movies you could receive over a period of time, not unlike NetFlix does for customers whose heavy viewing habits cut into their bottom line. But, since downscaling to the "by mail only" service, I've discovered that the turn around time for the mailing service is much faster when the only thing standing between you and a routing station is the US postal service.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:43:43 PM »

As it's all been said, I had Blockbuster and it started out great and the quality went down and the prices went up and it sucked so I dumped it.

I have Netflix now and frankly never saw the need for additional profiles. My kid stream movies online, (which you can only do on the primary profile) I don't worry about the rating level, because well my kid minds.

Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:04 PM »

I have Netflix now and frankly never saw the need for additional profiles. My kid stream movies online, (which you can only do on the primary profile) I don't worry about the rating level, because well my kid minds.

I have a 3/mo plan with two profiles.  My wife has one and i have one.  We have completely different tastes in movies (which is why I'm on this board...and she's not : ) but also different viewing patterns.  She'll keep a movie for a week..maybe let the kids watch it a few times if it's something she got for them. I'll watch one usually the night I get it, next night at the latest.  This means that are recommendations (which have found me a few gems) are based from much different viewing and rating patterns and we can manage the movies going back and forth much easier than trying to juggle one queue with two much different usage patterns.

So... it works really well for us.   They don't have two plans together that will give the same number of movies for the same price so I really don't want to break out to two accounts.

=======================
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »

I have a 3/mo plan with two profiles.  My wife has one and i have one.  We have completely different tastes in movies (which is why I'm on this board...and she's not : ) but also different viewing patterns.  She'll keep a movie for a week..maybe let the kids watch it a few times if it's something she got for them. I'll watch one usually the night I get it, next night at the latest.  This means that are recommendations (which have found me a few gems) are based from much different viewing and rating patterns and we can manage the movies going back and forth much easier than trying to juggle one queue with two much different usage patterns.

So... it works really well for us.   They don't have two plans together that will give the same number of movies for the same price so I really don't want to break out to two accounts.

Makes sense to me!

My wife doesn't watch many films and when she does it's what ever I'm watching ... which generally ends in "This is stupid, I'm going to bed." So I say ... "Woman! Do not realize "Blazing Stewardesses" is a cinematic master piece?!!"

I do the same thing watch it the night it comes in then gone the next day ... I'm getting my monies worth.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 11:22:22 PM »

A little off subject, , I have netflix, I go from 3 at a time in the winter to 2 at a time in the summer. Anyways, I've never had any use for the profiles, but if they allowed you to put a note beside a movie, , even just 8-10 characters would be awesome. I could label whatever ones are in because they're on film4's 50 movies list, , maybe put "Troma" "Cronenberg", "Lynch" beside them so I can shuffle them around according to my mood. . I have 50 or so (including 10-12 that they don't have yet), and I don't think I could remember just WHY I put half of them in there.
Anyways, I'm glad you all let everyone know that blockbuster seems to suck, I was kinda trying to talk the wife into switching to it, since they said they had a couple movies that netflix doesn't. I guess I won't be doing that. Thanks

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 08:06:55 AM »

Anyways, I'm glad you all let everyone know that blockbuster seems to suck, I was kinda trying to talk the wife into switching to it, since they said they had a couple movies that netflix doesn't. I guess I won't be doing that. Thanks

Yeah Ghouck, unless you've got an extra $13 and at least 30 or so movies on Blockbuster that you can't find on NetFlix to make the "1 movie at a time by mail" worth your while, I wouldn't bother.

Blockbuster's shafting of their customers is an even bigger insult because when they first started I kept telling people how great their service was in spite of the frequent, "Blockbuster is EVIL! I'll have no part of giving them my money!" responses. Before I knew it I was staring at the second email price gouge notice uttering, "Et tu Blockbuster?" Bluesad
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:14:13 AM by AnubisVonMojo » Logged

Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 09:12:20 AM »

Well, ok, point is that Blockbuster sucks and NetFlix is doing away with a vital feature...so the question remains...

What others are there out there?  greencine.com seems to have a great selection in he b-movie realms, but they don't have anything like profiles, either.  Intelliflix has "subaccounts". dvdavenue? itunes would be cool because I watch everything on my computer anyway (note: I'm on a mac so that's not an option with NetFlix).  Has anyone used any of these or anything?

=======================
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »

Good News, Netflix is KEEPING the profiles. Here's a C/P from an email they sent me:

Dear Gregory,

You spoke, and we listened. We are keeping Profiles. Thank you for all the calls and emails telling us how important Profiles are.

We are sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused. We hope the next time you hear from us we will delight, and not disappoint, you.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:30:57 PM »

I like to use the redbox.  The selection is pretty thin, but it is nice to only gamble on $1 for a movie released within the last year or so.  There are 3 redboxes within a few minutes of my house, so I can usually find the new release movie I am looking for. 

It is also nice that you can return the movie to any redbox and search online to see what your local redbox has in stock.

HOWEVER, it can sometimes be a pain in the butt to return a movie.  You have to wait until nobody is there before you can return one.  If someone is ahead of you looking for a movie, you just have to wait until they are done before you can return yours.  I am way too impatient for this!   hot
The Dungeonmaster
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 03:02:03 AM »

Honestly, I never saw any real point to the profiles. At least not enough for the lack thereof to be worth canceling your account. I know they've halted the "view now" until after January because that division lost money so I can only assume that profile maintenance was another cutback needed to remain competitive in the tough market. But I feel strongly that Netflix is the best of its kind so I'd stick with it. Who really cares about the profiles that much?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best NetFlix Alternative « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.