Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:51:17 PM
714191 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE FOG (1980) ~ DUMB FILM « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: THE FOG (1980) ~ DUMB FILM  (Read 11735 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: June 20, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »

Okay, this is merely an exorcise (Wink).  I watched THE FOG last night for the first time in... decades.  It's so dumb!!  I saw it new in the theatre and remember it well, but not really liking it.  My complaint was, and remains, that these vicious ghosts can't really blame these pseudo- descendants... but, now that I've looked at the thing again, I'm thinking: The number six was intended to figure prominently, but it doesn't... oh yes, three fishermen (I forgot about the  3  chillingly scratched into linoleum by a person who has absolutely no business walking around...) and the Sheriff from HALLOWEEN as #4 (CHARLES CYPHERS) and poor old innocent Mrs. Kobritz (REGINA WALDON ~ thank you IMDB  TeddyR) is #5 and #6 is... ain't that gold cross heavy???  So, they were going to steal the gold, but made a giant crucifix and hid it in a wall and forgot about it instead...??  Oh yeh!  That makes sense.  JANET LEIGH is quite spry pulling carved blocks of stone out of church walls (and she was born in 1927, you do the math.) 

How does TOM ATKINS know his friend's lungs are full of seawater...?  A little later the medical examiner confirms TOM ATKINS findings...  Drink  Well, he does talk about drinking a lot, but they "never got so sh!t-faced that they couldn't return to shore!"  And yes, JAMIE LEE CURTIS is in here as pappy TOM ATKINS' pickup... lucky ol' TOM!!

ADRIENNE BARBEAU is kind of cool and jazzy on the radio (but plays no really interesting records) interacts with almost nobody (maybe has to do with her reputation on-set)  "...I can't leave... Andy, I hope you understand!!"  Believes there's a disaster happening (and is right) but only because she had a post hallucinogenic fantasy (dropped too much acid in her youth?  Hey!  ADRIENNE was born in 1945...) about a saltwater bleeding board (a real special antique, I might add) causing a fire that... didn't happen...?  And heard #4 gurgle on the telephone... !!  "Stay away from the fog... there's something in the fog!!  Andy!  My son is trapped!!  Please help!  I can't leave!  I have to stay on the radio or there's no movie at all...!!" 
As always, she's right:  STAY AWAY FROM THE FOG.  

There is a lot about this movie I like.  Some good atmosphere.  I love the cast, particularly those reunited from HALLOWEENHAL HOLBROOK does a very good job with what he's given (it ain't much).  I like some of the music; I really like a lot of the shots, views, and settings... how cool is that lighthouse / radio station??? 
Plus ADRIENNE in there on the radio...!   BounceGiggle  But, I don't like the typical JOHN CARPENTER quick cut from day to night.  The principals put the story t-o-g-e-t-h-e-r right quick for us viewers, but it is so pathetically contrived!  It all seems a bit rushed.  DUMB FILM!  It's bad... maybe in a good way.   TongueOut
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:28:39 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »

Yeah, I can't agree with ya more on (no, I didn't say "moron"!) this one AHD. I know every crappy movie has its audience, but it's movies like this that make me question if John Carpenter really is as good as everyone gives him credit for. Blargh. What boggles the mind more so is that someone actually felt the need to do a remake...  Thumbdown

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »

I don't really have a strong opinion on this film, I personally enjoyed it but I don't really appreciate it as I'm sure some people do. I agree on some points... The victims seemed taken at random, the three killed initially took some suspense off the events of final night, as well as created a few plot holes (Who would have known three of the descendents would all end up working together in the same low-class job??), including the violation of the old "one night for revenge" cliche. More holes arise in the fact that a good deal more than six people, including Ms. Stevie Wayne, were menaced; Was everyone in the town related? The final scare was predictable and unnecessary, basically they could have just offered the man up for the kill... stuff like that makes entire movies seem pointless...

However, on the good side the film was skillfully directed and, as you said, atmospheric, not to mention very well-scored, as is the norm with Carpenter. Many scenes were intense, even when wondering why a certain person was being chased Wink. The monsters were brilliantly executed in the way that they were usually completely shrouded in their atmosphere, and when they were visible enough to catch an arm, face, etc., the makeup/costuming was great. I sort of agree with the "can't blame descendants" part, but then such revenges are appropriate when the original victims were just as innocent. Still, wouldn't it be cosmically smarter to seek revenge when the original offenders are still alive and can see their innocent kin being killed?

All in all when taking it as a "good movie", it fails on a few levels. However, when viewing as a late-nite popcorn flick, it's a great way to pass the time. I've viewed it quite a few times often very late a night or early in the morning, and I find it's easy to get caught up in the movie's atmosphere.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:17:40 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Menard
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »

I actually like this film.

I've only seen it twice, though; once when it was released and once on video. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Fun movie; at some point, though, I gave up trying to make sense of it and just watched it.

It's filled with as many plot holes as Charles Cyphers is with bullet holes in Assault on Precinct 13.

Is this a repertory theatre group or what? It even has Napoleon Bonaparte....er....Napoleon Dynamite...er....whatever the hell his name is.

For what it lacks in a plot, it makes up for it in atmosphere and pacing. I find it a fun movie for Halloween.

Hey, that's an idea; maybe John Carpenter should do a Halloween....uh...movie....

....uh....nevermind.

TongueOut
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:32:11 PM »

Is this a repertory theatre group or what? It even has Napoleon Bonaparte....er....Napoleon Dynamite...er....whatever the hell his name is.
Wilson, Wilson! Not quite as hard as the other two TongueOut. He plays Dr. Phibes Smile

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:37:15 PM »

I've always liked The Fog, but I can understand someone having big problems with it.

It's pretty well known that John Carpenter hated the 1st cut of the movie and they had to go back and re-shoot about 30% of the movie in addition to adding more scenes in the form of added violence and scares.

But warts and all, I find it a lot of fun.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 12:47:49 AM »

I like "The Fog", and I usually don't like movies that make no sense.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:25:50 AM »

Yeah, I can't agree with ya more on (no, I didn't say "moron"!) this one AHD. I know every crappy movie has its audience, but it's movies like this that make me question if John Carpenter really is as good as everyone gives him credit for. Blargh. What boggles the mind more so is that someone actually felt the need to do a remake...  Thumbdown
I felt the same way about the remake, which I've not seen, but I will say that it occurred to me that somebody might fix the script problems of the first film and capture the atmosphere that CARPENTER created.   Thumbup karma

Neville

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:11:51 AM »

I like this movie a lot. True, the whole thing doesn't make much sense (who the Hell threw that stone at the car?!) and it's slow paced for today's standards (specially that scene of Barbeau walking to the lighthouse), but the atmosphere is amazingly well done, and the supernatural scenes are very well executed.

I think it' one of Carpenter's best films, really.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 06:43:47 AM »

I really liked the atmosphere, but I'm afraid I've just seen it one too many times.  The atmosphere kind of fades away and I'm left noticing all the plot holes and other warts.  Still, I'll probably pull it out again around Halloween.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »

I really liked the atmosphere, but I'm afraid I've just seen it one too many times.  The atmosphere kind of fades away and I'm left noticing all the plot holes and other warts.  Still, I'll probably pull it out again around Halloween.

If I didn't know you were talking about a movie... uh... I like to pull it out every... errr... you know what, forget I said anything.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »

If I didn't know you were talking about a movie... uh... I like to pull it out every... errr... you know what, forget I said anything.  TeddyR

Yeah, sometimes I say stuff that...just doesn't quite sound right. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »

STAY AWAY FROM THE FOG...!!!  JANET LEIGH as Kathy Williams...

Small | Large

Between midnight and 1...  Lookingup  

ADRIENNE BARBEAU is Stevie Wayne... Smile aghhreebahaaahhahhhrr  Lookingup  BounceGiggle  Buggedout
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:42:27 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »

My brother seems to kiss the ground John Carpenter walks on.. and I don't get the love.  He's had some successes (like Halloween, Assault on Precinct 13, and The Fog was decent IMHO) but just as many misses-- and Ghosts of Mars, Vampires and Prince of Darkness were some of the worst POS's I'd ever seen.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:46:17 PM »

A little thread necromancy, anyone? TeddyR

No opinion on this film - I've never seen it, actually.

But whatever happened to old Anubis von Mojo?

I used to really enjoy his posts.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE FOG (1980) ~ DUMB FILM « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.