Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:25:40 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Falling exam passes blamed on Wikipedia 'littered with inaccuracies' « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Falling exam passes blamed on Wikipedia 'littered with inaccuracies'  (Read 7132 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: June 22, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »

http://news.scotsman.com/education/Falling-exam--passes-blamed.4209408.jp

Why I am just SHOCKED that Wiki would be so wrong! Actually, I'm not it also cracks me up when people use wiki as gospel. It's great for quick info that is often dubious at best, so I wouldn't base a argument or a testing answer on it. 

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:56:15 AM »

Of course Wikipedia has inaccuracies!  It has about three people actually working for it!  All the information comes from regular people!  Apparantly, regular stupid people.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »

We used to have these things called "text books" for that sort of thing.  You got them right at school.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »

Yea, when I was a kid they had those things called "World Book" which some guy needing a shave sold door to door.

I told my kid when working on reports or what ever, never trust Wiki unless you want a failing grade. Many kids thinks "Well, it's on Wiki it's got to be true."

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 07:55:14 AM »

Wiki IMO is about as trustful as the US government at times.  If I ever talk about (not in a report, but a conversation) something I read on wiki I usually start with from a source that I don't trust, blah blah blah.  There are some useful things on Wiki and some of it is truthful but a majority of it is not trustworthy.  If I can confirm something that was written on Wiki in three other Trustworthy websites or trustworthy books or articles then I can saw it's true but I wouldn't use it for a source.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:17:36 AM »

Yea, when I was a kid they had those things called "World Book" which some guy needing a shave sold door to door.

TeddyR Funny you should mention those things called encyclopaedias, Cheeze: I still have mine. They're way more reliable than WonkyPedia. Lookingup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:42:15 AM »

I used to have a huge set of Funk & Wagnalls, but it gradually became useful only as a pre-1979 historical reference.

And now, I await Menard's comment about my huge set of Funk & Wagnalls  TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:13:49 AM »

Much more reliable is Wikiality. For instance: their highly informative page on elephants:

http://www.wikiality.com/Elephant

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 08:18:59 AM »

Researching is a lost art.  One of a long and honourable list, unfortunately.

People rely on 'sources' like Wiki because of the appeal of one-stop-shopping. The trend toward blindly accepting and quoting the first article one encounters frankly scares me.  Think people!

Spotting leads in articles and chasing down authoritative or primary sources takes time, effort and some skill.  When I was a kid encyclopedias were generally considered a starting point, not the be-all-and-end-all source; at least once one was past grade 4 or so.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »

Wikipedia is a horrible mess run by crazy admins.  Some of the wikipedia stories on Encyclopedia Dramatica are hilarious and sad at the same time.  The war over whose picture of their own penis gets to be in the wiki article is proof enough the servers should be nuked from orbit.

Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »

Heh, I've had three professors announce on the first day of class, "If you use Wikipedia as a source in this class, you will probably fail the class." Unfortunately, only the history major program at my college (I'm a history major) has specific classes, which are a requirement for anyone in the major, on research and interpretation.  I think every major should require such classes. 

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »

I know the judges at National History Day competition STRONGLY discourage the use of Wikepedia as a source.  I use it for portraits and photographs of famous people sometimes.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 06:55:58 AM »

Heh, I've had three professors announce on the first day of class, "If you use Wikipedia as a source in this class, you will probably fail the class." Unfortunately, only the history major program at my college (I'm a history major) has specific classes, which are a requirement for anyone in the major, on research and interpretation.  I think every major should require such classes. 

I'm in the middle of American History and on the first day of class when my professor was briefly highlighting the syllabus, one of the first things he told us was never to use Wiki and if we did he would automatically deduct points. Like he said, when you're doing a research paper you should actually do some research...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Falling exam passes blamed on Wikipedia 'littered with inaccuracies' « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.