Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:58:57 AM
713397 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  IT CAME FROM THE LIQUOR CABINET (aka the B-movie drinking game) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: IT CAME FROM THE LIQUOR CABINET (aka the B-movie drinking game)  (Read 32059 times)
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« on: June 22, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »

I share a suite on campus with a total of six guys, three of whom are B-movie junkies like myself.  During a screening of "The Beast of Yucca Flats," we started joking about taking a drink every time the narrator said the word "Progress."  That joke then began to evolve in to a drinking game, as we compiled a list of B-movie (especially 1950s and 60s B movies) tropes, the idea being, pop in a movie, and take a drink (not a shot; we're not suicidal -- additionally, we're not exactly part of the drinking and partying culture at the college) every time one of these tropes appeared in the movie.  I used badmovies.org as an aide in developing the list. 

Here's the list so far -- I was wondering if any of you fellow junkies had any suggestions for the list.

TAKE A DRINK IF...
--Recycled footage of atomic testing is used.
--You can see the strings holding up the flying saucer.
--You can see the zipper on the monster.
--The title of the film has some variation of "Atomic" or "Outer Space" in it.
--The title of the film contains made-up words. (Thanks to Andrew for drawing my attention to this)
--The hero's shirt comes off.
--"Dinosaurs" are represented by lizards, caimans with fins glued on them, or armadillos.
--A woman disobeys an order (i.e., "Get in the car and stay there!")
--An ordinary animal "rampages" through a model train set.
--A foreign scientist has all the answers.
--There is an ominous opening narration.  Criswell's opening to Plan 9 from Outer Space counts. 
--A fire extinguisher is used as a weapon, even though a REAL weapon is plainly visible.
--A precocious brat knows more about the monster then the scientists do.
--The monster goes after the leading lady, or the female character with the perkiest breasts.  If these are two different characters and the monster goes after both, take two drinks.  If the leading lady has the perkiest breasts, only take one drink.
--"Atomic Energy", "Radiation" "Genetic Engineering" or “Hormones” are used as a scapegoat to explain something utterly and completely ridiculous, usually the origin of the monster (but possibly why a woman isn’t in the kitchen, preparing dinner for the male lead).
--A Jacob's Ladder or beakers of colored liquid and dry ice are used to show that "Science" is going on.
--"The End" is followed by a question mark.
--There's a sheriff wearing a 10-gallon hat.
--A witness is disbelieved due to being drunk.
--"Thematic Mood Lightning"
--A woman’s nipples are visibly erect, even through the bulkiest of sweaters.  Bullet Bras don't count.
--The scene abruptly and inexplicably switches back and forth between day and night.
--A bottle of “Jack Daniels” is prominently displayed. (Thanks Andrew for drawing my attention to this)
--The film contains some sort of thinly veiled (if not openly remarked upon) moral about the dangers of sexually liberated women.

What do you folks think?  The plan, once we finalize the list, is to print it as a big poster and put it next to our communal TV, and then once a week (in additional to our usual weekly creature feature) play the game. 

Additionally, we're considering a variant game in which we each have one can of cheap beer (because it would be wrong to spend more on alcohol than was spent on the production of the film), and time how long it takes us to finish the can compared to the running time of the film.  And keep a running ranking of films based on this. 

Yeah, we're pretty geeky. 

Menard
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:09:28 PM »

--The title of the film has some variation of "Atomic" or "Outer Space" in it.
--The title of the film contains made-up words.

If you rented the video and the title still caught you by surprise...well, you may not need that extra drink. Drink

--Rather than taking an obvious escape route (a.k.a. running away), when approached by a moster, or otherwise, the would be victim just stands there and screams.
--In a perilous situation, a female character is miraculously saved by someone who came out of nowhere to distract the monster/killer. Two drinks if it is a black man who sacrifices himself to save someone else.
--A perfectly running car, previously, now has trouble starting as danger approaches.
--Shadows fall toward the lamp in a scene rather than away from it.
--A cat, other animal, or drunk suddenly jumps out from somewhere.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »

-- A walking killer still manages to catch up to a running woman.

-- It ends with some guy claiming that this could happen to the audience.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Saucerman
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »

Menard -- Oh man, how could I have forgotten about victims who stand and scream! That's a classic.

As for titles, I think those movies will probably be reserved for nights where we want to get a little wasted -- for example, after a major exam. 

Patient7 -- Yes! The walking killer is always good.  And someone at the end...that sort of thing always has me in tears laughing.  When watching Plan 9, I can barely make it through any of Criswell's scenes. 

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:37:54 PM »

Pretty good list(s).

-- Hero, while in the open, shoots and kills 50 bad guys shooting at him from cover; he's never hit.
-- Hero's gun fires FAR too many bullets without reloading.
-- Military leader involved in trying to solve the problem disbelieves the scientist about some fact or solution.
-- Someone previously depicted as clueless suddenly has all the answers to the great mystery going on; corollary, someone finds a book that explains everything.
-- You may have some fun with how often folks in those old 50's movies light up cigarettes.  Of course, you could get pretty hammered that way!!   BounceGiggle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »

How about...

- Someone is surprise attacked by someone(something) coming from offscreen who is invisible to the audience but should be easily visible to the characters

Actually that happens generally enough...not just attacks but sudden surprise 'stings' that the characters should see even if the audience can't

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Saucerman
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »

My girlfriend and I tested this last night, as I introduced her to THE GIANT GILA MONSTER and THE KILLER SHREWS.  Since neither of us was particularly looking to drink alcohol last night, we used Dr. Pepper. 

THE GIANT GILA MONSTER warranted eight drinks.  One for an ominous opening narration, two for the sheriff repeatedly wearing a ten gallon hat, one for the French girl disobeying the singing hero, two witnesses disbelieved due to being drunk, and two for scenes of ordinary lizards rampaging through a model set. 

THE KILLER SHREWS earned, in our estimation, six drinks.  One for an ominous opening narration, which was followed immediately by "Thematic Mood Lightning", one for a foreign scientist having all the answers, one for "genetic engineering" being responsible for the creation of the monsters, and then while there was some debate, we counted two lightning scenes as thematic mood lightning instead of just being a reminder of the fact that there's a storm. 

All in all, we each polished off two cans of soda. 

the master
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »

--everytime some one smokes or drinks cough*thekillershrews*cough take a drink of your
own!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:38:12 AM »

Anytime a car bursts into flames for reasons that, well...would not result in a car bursting into flames.
Anytime a character previously thought to have been killed turns out to be alive.
Anytime something explodes much, much larger than it should.  Hand grenades don't actually blow up like a gallon bucket of pyrotechnic charges.
Anytime a car hits something, resulting in it being vaulted way up into the air.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »

-- "Flying battleship"

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 09:21:39 AM »

This is a variation of the "Stands and screams" item, any time the female lead, usually a scientist, doctor, reporter etc., who has repeatedly stated that she's just as strong and capable as any man, especially the male lead, gets hysterical and goes to pieces at the first sign of danger.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »

-- "Flying battleship"
Thank you! Play the 'Big as a  :wink:battleship' drinking game, end up on yer a$$ before Mitch blows up the lab!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
The Dungeonmaster
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 03:04:54 AM »

Oh man, I have a feeling that so many rules would come up that it'd be impossible to remember them all. But it's a tight idea.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 02:53:14 PM »

-- "Flying battleship"
Thank you! Play the 'Big as a  :wink:battleship' drinking game, end up on yer a$$ before Mitch blows up the lab!

BounceGiggle glad the evening was enjoyable.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »

In addition to the other female stereotypes mentioned:

The woman who is educated, competent and an equal member of the team who still cooks and cleans up after the men.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  IT CAME FROM THE LIQUOR CABINET (aka the B-movie drinking game) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.