Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:12:44 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  how to introduce someone to bad movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: how to introduce someone to bad movies  (Read 13390 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »

thanks andrew i think ill go with beast of yucca flatts love tor johnson and quoting
the nararation on it.... progress
but then theres the breast shot in it. is that is easy to miss?
dont want the girl to think im a pervert.

The scene is pretty prominent at the beginning of the film.  Like I said in the review, it does not fit in the story in any manner (unless you get creative with a flashforward flashback), so I have no idea why it is there.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
the master
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »

thanks andrew i think ill go with beast of yucca flatts love tor johnson and quoting

The scene is pretty prominent at the beginning of the film.  Like I said in the review, it does not fit in the story in any manner (unless you get creative with a flashforward flashback), so I have no idea why it is there.
i think it is a man murdiring tors wife in hungrey as the nararator states
of course it is coleman francis son what do you expect?
the master
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »

i meant to say so. sorry
oh yeah my first bad movie was teenagers from outer space
so im thinking that
but then i could go for the most main stream
and say plan nine.
i think it is a man murdiring tors wife in hungrey as the nararator states
of course it is coleman francis son what do you expect?
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 09:05:12 PM »

Why not? I know a lot of female perverts ... speaking of "Pervert" you could show them that one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460898/

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 12:46:05 AM »

i want to introduce some of my friends to bad movies
but i dont know what to start with. i talk about them
to them and i dont know what film to start with
mabey somthing not that bad for a bad movie?

Why not let your friends decide?

This has two main benefits: 1) You get to show off your movie collection; 2) Your friends can't blame you NO MATTER WHAT for the movie.  OTOH since you state "and were all to young for nc17" I am going to assume this means you don't have a large collection to show off to your peer group?

Alas, not knowing how old you are, this puts us in a bit of a pickle.  There's a ton of SWV titles that I could recommend but if you're not old enough for NC-17 movies you're probably not old enough for those.  But I can wholeheartedly second the following already suggested titles....

Flash Gordon (1980)
Sheena*
Hell Comes to Frogtown*
The House series

I'd also recommend....

Dungeon of Harrow**
Moon of the Wolf
Fangs of the Living Dead
Hercules Against the Moon Men**
Future War**
Spaceballs
Steel Dawn*
Steel Frontier
Tank Girl***
Alien Species
Once Bitten
A.P.E.X.

And if I could remember the name of the silly time travel movie Carrie Fisher starred in I'd recommend that, too, but I don't think it's made it to DVD.

(*) Warning has brief boobage
(**) Movies so bad they are to be laughed at.
(***) Much luved by the wimmun folk.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 02:19:00 AM »

I think it's a good idea to have some to choose from by your guests. Some good suggestions already, although I would try movies that could be considered "classics" even by the uninitiated.

e.g. Plan 9 (they might have seen Ed Wood with Johnny Depp - you could also show both in a row), Giant Claw, Killer Shrews, Last man on earth (especially if they have already seen I am legend - could also be pared)

I think old b/w movies are crampy enough to make you look interesting, but not deranged enough to make you look strange.

Definitely Bruce Campell or early Peter Jackson (Bad Tase, Brain Dead, Meet the Feebles) if you want to go more "modern"

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 02:56:09 AM »

I think what you are looking for is a movie that's fun. It's a bit tricky to figure, you'll have to aim it at your audience, but what you're probably looking for is a movie that's so bad that the entire group will have a good time making fun of it.

Fun is the main thing.

It takes a hardy breed to make it through bad genre films, especially if you are not predisposed to them (like I think most of us here are). I wouldn't start off on say, Bloodsucking Freaks.

What I would look for is a movie that is just beyond their comfort level, say in stupidity, gore, or (if you like) nudity. Let the core ineptness shine through, it's not a movie to be taken seriously, all the excess should be silly.

For example, take Braindead/Dead Alive. It's a movie that really pushes the boundaries as far as gore is concerned, but it approaches it with such levity you can't help but laugh (hopefully they will too). If they are in the right mood, they will laugh at the kung-fu priest and a grown man beating up a zombie baby. My brother's ex-girlfriend, when I showed it to them, thought it was "cute."

I think I've met more girls who want to see the crazy stuff than otherwise. They don't usually offer to watch them, but every once in a while that copy of Frankenhooker will provoke a bad movie night. Come to think of it, the first bad movie fan I met when I moved to Phoenix was a girl and a compulsive bad movie fan (I don't think her boyfriend was). So there you go.

So, fun. Not too many people will ever want to see cinematic atrocities, like Slapstick (of Another Kind) or Sextette. I'm not sure I want to watch them, but I see them otherwise. Perhaps it's like buckshot; a few hits, lots of misses.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
dean

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 08:52:17 AM »

Depends on your friends I suppose.  I luckily have many who enjoy the wierder tastes in life, so I'm halfway there, but I second Andrew's suggestion of 'Breakin'

I organised an event where we all went to an outdoor cinema to see it ad it was a good way to ease into the ludicrous world of the B-movie, without being too offensive to your sensibilities.

Its also a good way of gauging their tastes if you haven't already figured them out.

Last movie night a few friends and I had we ended up watching Buckaroo Banzai, which also was a good intro-type movie since it has some good name power behind it, like John Lithgow, Paul Weller and Jeff Goblum.

I also agree with Mofo: get something fun, and something that if they just don't like you can pass the time 'taking the p**s' and just make fun of it for the rest of the movie.  At the least it will be a torturous experience, at best a bonding experience almost akin to soldiers on the field of battle.

Or at least that's how some friends of mine feel after I forced them to watch Forbidden Zone, with comments like 'it was a horrible film' and then they don't stop talking about it for at least 10 minutes.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »

Once Bitten

I would disagree, I found that movie to be pretty stupid, about one slime.  Even a movie about vampires, I refuse to believe a woman can walk a tiger* around L.A.

*actually I can't remember if it was a tiger or a lion, but it was some type of jungle cat

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 09:30:36 AM »

how to introduce someone to bad movies

Say you friends name is Bob ...

"Bob, I like to introduce you to Bad Movie .... Bad Movie this is Bob."

That seems simple enough.

dean

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 09:46:26 AM »

how to introduce someone to bad movies

Say you friends name is Bob ...

"Bob, I like to introduce you to Bad Movie .... Bad Movie this is Bob."

That seems simple enough.

Zammo!   Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 10:06:18 AM »

Once Bitten

I would disagree, I found that movie to be pretty stupid, about one slime.  Even a movie about vampires, I refuse to believe a woman can walk a tiger* around L.A.

*actually I can't remember if it was a tiger or a lion, but it was some type of jungle cat

Which reminds me BEASTMASTER* is fun, as is BEASTMASTER II, though I think the latter is AWOL on DVD.

As for why I suggested ONCE BITTEN it's PG-13, has Jim Carrey in it, and strikes just the right tone of silly-stupid fun that might appeal to teens.  Besides the movie I'd prefer to have suggested, VAMPS (not to be confused with BEVERLY HILLS VAMP), is rated R.  I know one silly-stupid 80s vampire teen comedy is much like any other, but at least ONCE BITTEN has the familiar face of Jim Carrey in it.

A great way to kick-off a bad movie night is to show movies of famous actors from before they were famous.

Speaking of silly-stupid but fun 80s movies HOWARD THE DUCK would probably also be one of the better choices to open a bad movie night for the uninitiated.  Sadly I believe it's still AWOL on DVD.  Other good choices would be BUCKAROO BONZAI, CHERRY 2000*, SPACEHUNTER ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE, KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE, SPACED INVADERS, or, if your friends are into hard rock or heavy metal, try TRICK OR TREAT* or THE GATE.

(*) Warning boobage!

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
peter johnson

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »

I'd dive right in with a classic:  Phil Tucker's "Robot Monster" -- It has good, clean, silly fun written all over it, plus it is amazingly dumb --
We showed this one on the big screen once to a packed house at the Boulder Theatre, and everyone laughed and had a great time, and not all of those people were genre freaks like us.  I'd say that one bridges gaps of gender and age plus it makes immediately clear what we mean here by "Bad Movies"!
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Evan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »

I had this problem too, so what I did is made them all watch the amazing Troll 2. They loved it and now I usually bring a bad movie over for parties and such. Just last week we got mostly through Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror. Of course, we cant make it though a movie such as that without speaking out and laughing our asses off, but we get though. And my female friends didnt mind the female nudity that much. They all loved Return of the Living Dead.

But yea, Troll 2 did it for me. Its appropriate for mostly all ages, is bunches of fun, and os quite bad.
hellbilly
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 04:37:29 AM »

I would begin with Mommie Dearest (1981)

It starts out rather harmless but gets cheesier by the minute.

Earthquake (1974) is another great big budget disaster oozing with cheese.

Another fine example of bad but fun filmmaking: The Manitou (1978) or Day Of The Animals (1977). One could also add Grizzly (1976) and make it a William Girdler triple feature.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  how to introduce someone to bad movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.