Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:42:12 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Thing that make your head explode. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Thing that make your head explode.  (Read 18662 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 02:47:32 PM »

Just once I'd like to walk into Radio Shack without hearing, "Can I help you" in the first two minutes. 

And every minute after that. That used to make me so mad. I once walked into a Radio Shack (now called "The Source" in Canada  Lookingup), looking for a universal remote. I went straight to that section and started comparing features, compatibility and price of various remotes, knowing exactly what I needed. But what made it difficult was that one staff member after another was coming up and asking if I needed help. This happened four times.

My response each time:

"No thanks, I'm fine."

"No."

The third guy I tried to ignore, but he just kept trying, so he got a curt "NO! Leave me alone!" (which got me a "what's your problem?" look in return)

And the final time, "If I can't shop in peace, then I'm leaving." And I did.

Haven't had a good experience with Radio Shack in years. I once went into a store, having already confirmed online that they had what I wanted in stock (A power adapter - 6vdc at 1800mA). It was very important that I had enough current. I told the guy the exact model I needed. He takes a half-assed glance at the rack (which was inexplicably located behind the counter) and says he doesn't see it. He suggests a couple of random products not even close to what I asked for, then pulls the old "I don't think we carry anything like that." You know the line, usually spoken in the tone that suggests you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about.

Feeling pretty confident that they had two of these adapters in stock (and seeing something that looked a heck of a lot like the picture on the website), I asked if I could come back and take a look. I picked it up and held it right up to his face. "What's this? Seems I know your store stock better than you do." And, naturally, he was anything but apologetic. More of a sulky "Yeah, whatever" response.

I stopped going to "The Source" shortly before the name changed. It has only turned into more of a generic home electronics and gadget shop, without much for the computer or electronics enthusiast. Radio Shack was slipping that way for years, but now I don't even think of going there for anything.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:30:32 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 03:15:26 PM »

Just once I'd like to walk into Radio Shack without hearing, "Can I help you" in the first two minutes. 

I've got the point to where I phrase ...

"Can I help you?"

I just say "I doubt it." or "I don't know CAN you?"

See "CAN" implies ability whereas "MAY" request permission.

the master
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 04:14:44 PM »

i have to say the ark of the covendent
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 04:18:25 PM »

I just say "I doubt it." or "I don't know CAN you?"

See "CAN" implies ability whereas "MAY" request permission.

Ahhhh, that old chestnut, really takes me back.  It's only a couple years back but still.  Lookingup

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:21 PM »

What makes my head explode?

LESTER!!!!! hot

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »

Funny that Radio Shack was mentioned...

I used to work at one years ago.   Buggedout
It was terrible.  Definitely one of the worst jobs I've ever had.
They automatically assumed I knew absolutely everything about every kind of electronics when I told them I didn't.
Their response was, "Oh, you'll catch on..."
Yeah, right.
Rather than train me properly, they let me go the trial & error route, often p**sing customers off because I didn't know what the heck they were talking about when they came into the store to ask for something I had never heard of.
I suspect the same thing still happens.  That's why some of the guys there don't know their ass from their elbows.
Some are pretty good, though, and have an excellent knowledge of most anything a customer can throw at them.

And yes, I was required to try to upsell the customer some gadget he or she didn't need.
I hated having to do that.   Hatred

I pondered quitting for days because I disliked the job so much.
I finally did when I left a note saying "Thanks for the opportunity but I can't do this anymore" and literally walked out the back door right then and there in the middle of my shift.  No one saw me leave and I wouldv'e loved to have seen the expression on the boss's face when she read that note.

Funny thing, I went into a Radio Shack (not the one I worked at) yesterday to see about ordering a new battery for my cell phone (Radio Shack is the only store that can get it) and can you guess what the clerk did?

He tried to sell me a new cell phone.  Bastard!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:49:30 AM by Ash » Logged
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 06:27:42 AM »

Funny thing, I went into a Radio Shack (not the one I worked at) yesterday to see about ordering a new battery for my cell phone (Radio Shack is the only store that can get it) and can you guess what the clerk did?

He tried to sell me a new cell phone.  Bastard!

My dad is a Radio Shack junkey but he hates to be pestered in a store especially with the cell phone pitch.You can always try his tactic for when they try to shove a new one off on you...

When they ask "How about a new cell phone today?" reply with a nice "I don't use cell phones, they make it easier for the communists to listen in on your conversations..."

I watched my dad do this once; now no more clerks rush up to help him automatically at the one in Martin, Tn now. Instead they just look at him kinda uneasy when he walks in the door.  BounceGiggle

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 06:38:21 AM »

Scanners.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 07:15:29 AM »

In defense of Radio Shack though, the guys at our local one are really good.  You can walk in there looking for some weird battery, adapter cable, or just about any oddball electronics gizmo and they'll walk you right over to the shelf and get you the exact one you need. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 07:31:42 AM »

In defense of Radio Shack though, the guys at our local one are really good.  You can walk in there looking for some weird battery, adapter cable, or just about any oddball electronics gizmo and they'll walk you right over to the shelf and get you the exact one you need. 

Yup...they are very inconsistent.  I you are lucky enough to be near one with qualified people, RS is a pretty good resource.

Actually, for more serious work, get your hands on their Commercial Catalog.  TONS of stuff in there not in the stores and no pushy sales staff.

On the other hand, many who work there are clueless.  They (the upper management) just have not seemed to grasp that when most people go into RS, they are looking for something very specific - not just "shopping."

I've seen both kinds.  One of the most knowledgeable electronics dudes I ever met was at a RS...but then, I've had to explain what an RCA plug or Op Amp is to some.  Since they are selling a specialty line, they really need some kind of employee training program.

On the topic of clueless sales staff....I recall a few years ago Sears got the bright idea that one did not need to know anything about tools to sell tools.  GAH.  What a nightmare that was.  I nearly got arrested in Sears one night trying to buy a hot water heater because of the clueless staff and how frustrated I was getting explaining to them that "no, I don't need a shorty 20 gallon, I need a 30 gallon upright."  Then they CHARGED me for the one I asked for and loaded the one they WANTED to sell me on the truck.....until I noticed, "hey, that box ain't the right shape."  They got upset at ME for making them take back the one I DID NOT purchase to get the one I DID purchase.

It just should not take an hour and a half to buy a water heater.

Sears seems to be better now, at least marginally.  At least they still do free replacement on Craftsman tools.  I recently exchanged a ratchet that I purchased in 1983, and I fully expected them to say, "nah, we don't do that anymore, especially on something this old."

As I think about this, I think this is a metaphor for our larger society.  Sears and Radio Shack (among other, specialty sales) seems to think you can understand "sales" and sell anything - knowledge of the product line need not apply.  This is similar to how our eduction system has adopted the notion that if you know how to "teach" you can teach anything...knowledge of the subject need not apply. 

And I think this concept is more far-reaching than that.

All I can say is that if this society progresses on its present path, it would be wise for us to invest in a good supply of Duct Tape.  And oh yeah, signs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 08:10:26 AM »

i have to say the ark of the covendent

BounceGiggle TeddyR BounceGiggle Karma for that laugh!  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 08:50:16 AM »

Not the one around here, nearly everything is "We can order it!" Well guess what Radio Shack I have the internet and I can order it too, likely cheaper somewhere else and get it faster.
It's really sad as it's one of the really small Radio Shacks that I think they only hire people that couldn't get a job at McDonald's.

Quote from: ulthar
Sears seems to be better now, at least marginally.  At least they still do free replacement on Craftsman tools.  I recently exchanged a ratchet that I purchased in 1983, and I fully expected them to say, "nah, we don't do that anymore, especially on something this old."

I go to actions all the time to buy Craftsman tools, and every broken or damaged one I turn in for new one. After about 20 years I have a lot of tools.

Speaking of tools, I went to Lowe's not long ago to buy a Worm Screw Circular Saw the employee there tried to sell me everything but a Worm Screw Circular Saw ... well I know ya'll be shocked to hear this but I finally snapped and said "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A WORM SCREW SAW IS DO YOU? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WANT A WORM SCREW IS ... HOW ABOUT A SAW, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS?"
Now to be fair I've dealt with the genius before and even told a zone manager they had no business in tools, they needed to be in something less challenging like mulch. I don't expect every one to know what worm screw saw is, but if you're in tools ... know it.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »

Reminds me of the time I went to Home Depot looking for floor primer. Bought several boxes of self-adhesive vinyl floor tiles to put on the concrete floor in the basement. The instructions (always good to read those) recommended priming the floor, and suggested the manufacturer's own brand, called Basement Proofer, available at the Home Depot.

I walk into the flooring department and ask for a jug of Armstrong Basement Proofer. The guy has no idea what I'm talking about. I explain what it is, and he starts showing me floor adhesives. I explain again that the tiles are peel-and-stick, that the product is to seal the floor and promote adhesion. He tries to tell me he's not aware of anything called a basement proofer ('cause he's focusing one the name and not the function). So, I have to explain that "Basement Proofer" is a brand name. I'm looking for a concrete floor primer. And he's telling me that I just need to peel and stick the tiles, because they're self adhesive. He's never heard of anybody sealing the floor first. Again, the old "I think you're making this up" response. So, I take him over to the vinyl tiles and let him read a box for himself, and that still doesn't get it into his head.

I think what bothers me more than anything is that these guys will not admit that they don't know something. They try to bluff their way out of it and make the customer feel dumb, and I'm sure it works on the average do-it-yourselfer who hasn't done their homework. How many people go away without what they need, and bad information to boot?

Anyway, while all this is going on, my wife, who knew nothing about the technical aspects of the project, reaches down to a bottom shelf and picks up a generic jug of conrete floor primer and asks if it's what I needed. A quick glance at the label told me it was.

So, with a smirk, I thanked the guy for all his valuable assistance, and we took our purchase to the checkout.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:59:09 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »

Quote from: Andy Panda
I think what bothers me more than anything is that these guys will not admit that they don't know something. They try to bluff their way out of it and make the customer feel dumb, and I'm sure it works on the average do-it-yourselfer who hasn't done their homework. How many people go away without what they need, and bad information to boot?

I'm a contractor, I have many people that get in over their heads and call me to "fix" it. I go to their home and I see all kinds of products that have little or nothing to do with their project and I say "What's this for?" ... "Oh the guy at Lowe's said I needed it." so I say "Take it back and tell the guy at Lowe's he doesn't know what he's talking about."

I should thank Lowe's and Home Depot, because their ability to confuse the hell out of customers has made me a lot of money. It cost more to "fix" a DIY project then if they just called a 'professional' to begin with, I'm all for folks doing their own home improvements, provided they know what their doing. I've seen some really costly mistakes ... like removing a weight bearing wall and wondering why the second floor has a bounce. Buggedout

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 11:23:32 AM »

I don't know if Holmes on Homes is available on any American TV channels, but that is pretty much the premise. A Toronto building contractor goes around and fixes botched jobs with his usual crew and subs.

In his case, it's not DIY jobs, but people who hired an unqualified contractor or a friend or somebody else who cost them a pile of money and left their house ready to burn down, fall over and sink into the swamp. Some of it is pretty funny if it's not your house, like cutting into a wooden beam to run ductwork, sealing uncovered live wires behind drywall, plumbing an entire basement without venting anything. It usually means gutting the whole thing and doing it over. In one two-part special, he went as far as to tear the house down and build a new one.

On top of that, he often testifies as an expert witness in lawsuits for these people.

I've often wondered what Canadian contractors think of Mike Holmes. On the one hand, his message is to hire professionals and pay more for quality work. On the other hand, he also tells them to keep a close eye on their contractors, ask lots of questions, and withold payment if they're not satisfied. Good advice, but I can see where some people might not like it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:26:58 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Thing that make your head explode. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.