Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:58:11 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Thing that make your head explode. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Thing that make your head explode.  (Read 18668 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »

Flipping the coin to another store, Best Buy.  I love shopping there and find their staff helpful but perhaps my pet peeve with them is how they remind you over and over again, "we don't work on commission".  I've responded with how I understand that but don't see how its related to the purchase I'm making either way. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »

There is a definite difference between commissioned sales staff and non-commissioned in terms of giving the customer a little breathing room.

Mind you, in some stores, they give you a little too much breathing room. I like it when I just need to make eye contact with someone and they walk over. I don't like it when I have to do a song and dance to get their attention.

What bugs me most is when staff ignore customers because they are more concerned with getting some housekeeping chores done. This is especially true when they're busy getting ready to close, but don't seem to understand that they haven't closed yet. Remember when stores opened up ready to serve customers, served customers until they closed, and did a lot of the housekeeping outside of business hours?

I've sat in a restaurant that just opened (at 11 am), waiting for the staff to finish putting out salt shakers and cutlery on all the empty tables before they would acknowledge my presence. Then I was advised against ordering some items, because the kitchen wasn't fully heated up yet.

I've dealt with the same thing in one-hour photo places, where it's about an hour after they open before the equipment's ready to process film, and they shut it down well before they close.

And my local supermarket, where you can walk in a full hour before closing, and they're already moving the meat into the back, washing up in the deli department, and generally ignoring customers so they can get it all done and leave at precisely closing time. At that point, they will have their coats on and will be practically standing at the door.

Uh, excuse me? You're still getting paid, according to the clock. And I'm still shopping, in spite of your dirty looks.

This is mostly the fault of the owners, who won't pay everybody an extra hour of minimum wage per day to ensure that open for business really means open for business. But the employees aren't helping either. They get into that home stretch, and they don't want customers getting in the way.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »

Quote from: Andy Panda
I don't know if Holmes on Homes is available on any American TV channels, but that is pretty much the premise. A Toronto building contractor goes around and fixes botched jobs with his usual crew and subs.

Yes we get him, I never watch for two reason, no one want to go home and watch "work" and two he's annoying as hell with his overalls and muscle shirts.

What Holmes doesn't tell you is a lot of homeowners want it done cheap first and right second. Often you can tell a homeowner the correct way to do something but refuse to pay the additional cost to do it right. I pass on these jobs for liability and reputation.
Last week a guy wanted a roof, ok great will you can not roof with dimensional shingles over shingles AND he had 3 roofs on there already, code allows 2 standard composite shingles layers max. So I say you'll have to rip those off and it will cost X amount of money.
He says "Aw you can roof over those, it'll be fine."

Well no you can't it violates code and it's to much weight and I refused to do it unless the roofs were ripped off to the decking. So he passed, and I drove by his place on my way to another job and someone was up there roofing it, over the old roofs.

Holmes would blame this in the contractor, and it is a little. But if the contractors wants to eat, he'll do what the customer wants. So the customer is often to tight to have it done right then blames the contractor when it fails regardless of what 1, 2, or 50 contractors said to them, they'll keep looking for someone until they find a taker and then you get some clown like Holmes running around making it look like every contractor is a scum bag and he's the only good one, I don't know Canadian code but I've seen him do a some questionable stuff and I've seen him do extreme over kill too, because it's a TV show and the customer is likely not paying for it.
Bring him down here and I smack his flat top head of his.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »

Having watched the show for quite a while, the message seems to be more that people need to believe the contractor who says it can't be done cheap. I come away with more of a sense that contractors aren't all scumbags who gouge the customers for no reason, which I think is a popular idea. Holmes is usually the one saying that you get what you pay for, and the guy willing to do the same job cheap, without permits or inspections, is someone to avoid. Don't look for a cheap job.

I just find him refreshing because he actually does this stuff for real. Bob Vila used to drive me nuts, having this reputation as a home improvement guru, and all I ever saw him do was hire professionals and get in their way.

---------------------
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »

a lot of homeowners want it done cheap first and right second.

A common saying in the computer programming industry:

Cheap.  Fast.  Accurate.  Pick any two.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25:58 PM »

Having watched the show for quite a while, the message seems to be more that people need to believe the contractor who says it can't be done cheap. I come away with more of a sense that contractors aren't all scumbags who gouge the customers for no reason, which I think is a popular idea. Holmes is usually the one saying that you get what you pay for, and the guy willing to do the same job cheap, without permits or inspections, is someone to avoid. Don't look for a cheap job.

I just find him refreshing because he actually does this stuff for real. Bob Vila used to drive me nuts, having this reputation as a home improvement guru, and all I ever saw him do was hire professionals and get in their way.

Don't get me wrong, he is likely a nice guy with great intentions. He just comes off as arrogant. Bob Villa ... what a dweeb, he's a guys that goes around knowing everything and has done none of it.

Then there is Norm with his $250,000 shop that he uses to make a foot stool. 

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »

Cheap.  Fast.  Accurate.  Pick any two.

That's pretty clever.

---------------------
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »

I tell folks all the time if you hire a contractor and they can start right away ... don't hire them. The good ones are busy.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »

I love that saying.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »

Yeah, but it's like a super duper ultimately authentic shaker style foot stool.  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2008, 07:44:17 PM »

Yeah, but it's like a super duper ultimately authentic shaker style foot stool.  TeddyR

For a quarter mil, I could go buy a authentic shaker foot stool, chair, table, bed etc. this is shaker country around here it shows up at auctions all the time.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »

I tell folks all the time if you hire a contractor and they can start right away ... don't hire them. The good ones are busy.

Don't get mad, but Mike Holmes says that all the time  TeddyR

Never got into watching Norm, since I started watching Bob Vila after This Old House. I did get a bit of a chuckle out of Norm basically showing how to make your own knock-offs of expensive antique furniture. Did he ever have a show on distressing, to complete the deception?

That reminds me of probably one of the best duos in that genre of shows - the Furniture Guys, Joe and Ed. They did refinishing and upholstery while referencing old movies, making cheesy jokes and having guest appearances by guys like Al Lewis and Pat Cooper. And if that isn't enough, they did a cameo in Double Dragon. Bob Vila never showed up in a bad action movie. Oh wait, he was in Hot Shots Part Deux.

---------------------
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 10:55:54 PM »

Don't get mad, but Mike Holmes says that all the time  TeddyR

Oh I won't, I said I didn't dislike him, he's just a tad arrogant ... but you catch me at build site I probably am too. I had the rafter taken down and reinstalled today on a home addition because they were off 1/2". Half inch of to much in my book.

Oh I'll tell you a Holme's show I saw, he ripped out a deck and replaced it, he installed 4' deep, 2' dia piers on a 6' grid then replaced the deck with Trek wood decking ... now I think the home owner said they paid $7K for the original deck the Mikey ripped out, well what the show didn't tell you was he replaced it with the top of the line material and mammoth pier supports you could park a tank on.
That deck would have cost $25-$30K in materials alone and that again in labor. So he replaced a $7K deck with a $50K deck on what looked like a $100-$150K house. Money that if you spend you'd never ever recover and if you own a home you know you never put more into it than you can get out of it or you end up with a white elephant.

That's what annoys me about his show, he does stuff to a house that NO home owner is going to pay for unless they won the lotto. Reality type shows should be realistic.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 07:06:45 AM »

Forget Norm and Bob and all those others.  Roy Underhill is The Man.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »

Oh I won't, I said I didn't dislike him, he's just a tad arrogant ... but you catch me at build site I probably am too. I had the rafter taken down and reinstalled today on a home addition because they were off 1/2". Half inch of to much in my book.

Oh I'll tell you a Holme's show I saw, he ripped out a deck and replaced it, he installed 4' deep, 2' dia piers on a 6' grid then replaced the deck with Trek wood decking ... now I think the home owner said they paid $7K for the original deck the Mikey ripped out, well what the show didn't tell you was he replaced it with the top of the line material and mammoth pier supports you could park a tank on.
That deck would have cost $25-$30K in materials alone and that again in labor. So he replaced a $7K deck with a $50K deck on what looked like a $100-$150K house. Money that if you spend you'd never ever recover and if you own a home you know you never put more into it than you can get out of it or you end up with a white elephant.

That's what annoys me about his show, he does stuff to a house that NO home owner is going to pay for unless they won the lotto. Reality type shows should be realistic.

Look at it this way, people might not be willing to pay for what he does (with the help of corporate sponsors), but it does give viewers a different ideal to aim for. Instead of a bargain being the Holy Grail, they might try to get as close to that first-class reno as they can afford. Maybe they don't go for the newfangled high-tech roofing material, but they are at least willing to pay to have the old roof taken off.

The show showcases a lot of newer stuff people might not be aware of, uses the best of everything, and plays up the drama. I'd call it more idealized than unrealistic - something to shoot for if you have the dough. Better to spend $100,000 on the best than p**s away half that on something you don't like.

---------------------
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Thing that make your head explode. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.