Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:20:46 PM
714217 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Thing that make your head explode. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Thing that make your head explode.  (Read 18871 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2008, 10:54:52 AM »

Look at it this way, people might not be willing to pay for what he does (with the help of corporate sponsors), but it does give viewers a different ideal to aim for. Instead of a bargain being the Holy Grail, they might try to get as close to that first-class reno as they can afford. Maybe they don't go for the newfangled high-tech roofing material, but they are at least willing to pay to have the old roof taken off.

The show showcases a lot of newer stuff people might not be aware of, uses the best of everything, and plays up the drama. I'd call it more idealized than unrealistic - something to shoot for if you have the dough. Better to spend $100,000 on the best than p**s away half that on something you don't like.

That's a valid point, since I work with these stuff every day I know what products are out there.

The down side to these shows are people get visions of sugar plums about these high end products that they see people like them getting ... until they find out what it cost. Then the depression sets in or they realize they're putting lipstick on a pig.

What I'd like to see that if they are going to run these shows, show folks what they realistically can do. Say they want granite counter tops, but don't have $10K to get them ... well granite tile can be done for $3K if you hire it out, much less if you DIY.

Facts are there are a lot of these shows that show people these DIY honey-dos that really should be honey-don'ts.

Holmes does know what he's doing, but he should do jobs that are economically in line with the house he is doing it on. We can do it these way BUT it will cost a small fortune and your first child, however these way will meet code, pass inspection and work just as well, last just as long for a fraction of the cost.

Folks get unrealistic expectations from these shows and I have to be the bad guy saying "Oh we can do that, you just can't afford it." well I say it nicer but that's what it boils down to.

Soon as I hear the words ... "I was watching HGTV ...." my head begins to split open.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »

Public restrooms...why can't people flush?  How do they get sh!t around the upper rim of the toliet and not to mention other places?  What makes companies think the hand dryer beats out the good of fashioned paper towel?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »

Soon as I hear the words ... "I was watching HGTV ...." my head begins to split open.

I've often suspected that was the case when the newly empowered Holmesian homeowners start quoting second-hand advice to somebody who's been doing it every day for years. I always wonder when I watch Mike Holmes, whether contractors love him for telling people to hire professionals and pay for quality, or hate him for telling people to look over their shoulders while they work.

I suppose it's no different from dealing with a doctor - he's the expert, but you deserve answers to your questions, if nothing else, for your own peace of mind. But it should also be noted that once Mike starts a job, the owners usually disappear until it's done.

Really, I don't watch the show for the building, although I have picked up the odd useful bit of information. I watch it for the demolition, and seeing what these guys find when they start opening up the walls. Some of the reactions are priceless. The first half of the show is always the best.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2008, 08:04:47 PM »

I've often suspected that was the case when the newly empowered Holmesian homeowners start quoting second-hand advice to somebody who's been doing it every day for years. I always wonder when I watch Mike Holmes, whether contractors love him for telling people to hire professionals and pay for quality, or hate him for telling people to look over their shoulders while they work.

I suppose it's no different from dealing with a doctor - he's the expert, but you deserve answers to your questions, if nothing else, for your own peace of mind. But it should also be noted that once Mike starts a job, the owners usually disappear until it's done.

Really, I don't watch the show for the building, although I have picked up the odd useful bit of information. I watch it for the demolition, and seeing what these guys find when they start opening up the walls. Some of the reactions are priceless. The first half of the show is always the best.

Yeah when I'm working I generally have the homeowner there, looking over my shoulder asking questions (or giving directions). I was working on a Dr. (ObGyn) house no long ago and he kept giving advice and I final said ... "Do I tell you how to deliver babies? Because I've seen it on TV, so I've got to be an expert." He was a wise man got the point and left.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »

I regularly go onto a website in which you can play games and if you're registered to you can comment on it, I've always seen peoplepost the same thing several times in a row as if that validates their point, but latley they've been posting these stupid, "post this on 10 other games or you'll see a dead girl tonight" or some other piece of trash.  Stupids.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2008, 11:03:51 AM »

Yeah when I'm working I generally have the homeowner there, looking over my shoulder asking questions (or giving directions). I was working on a Dr. (ObGyn) house no long ago and he kept giving advice and I final said ... "Do I tell you how to deliver babies? Because I've seen it on TV, so I've got to be an expert." He was a wise man got the point and left.

That's good. Not much he could say to that. A doctor and a contractor can definitely relate to each other on that issue.

I haven't had much need to hire professionals, but when I have, I must admit I do hang around for two reasons. In case the guy needs to know where something is, and because I'm terribly curious and hoping to learn something. Usually it's been guys I know, so they haven't minded. Offer them a cold drink, chat while they work, and hand them whatever they ask for.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Thing that make your head explode. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.