Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:58:49 AM
714358 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Taxpayer's Choice Act « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taxpayer's Choice Act  (Read 2708 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 25, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »

act

Michelle Bachman used to be known mainly for  practically making out with george Bush at the last state of the union.  But I've been seeing her on C SPAN and on CNBC and she seems to understand the problems with taxes and spending better than most in washington, which isn't much of a compliment but still.

Bachmann Fights for American Taxpayers
Hails Economic Agenda which Supports her ‘Taxpayers Choice Act’

Washington, D.C., Jun 11 -

Today, U.S. Representative Michele Bachmann (MN-6) scored a big win for American taxpayers when her Taxpayer Choice Act was rolled out as the centerpiece of the Republican Economic Agenda to help America’s middle class.

"With skyrocketing gas and food costs, our nation’s families are struggling to make ends meet. It’s time that Washington work to give real relief to our hard-working taxpayers and help them afford what their families need and want. I’m honored that my legislation, H.R. 3818, the Taxpayers Choice Act, is the leading legislation in the recently unveiled Republican Economic Agenda.

"Millions of American taxpayers are dramatically affected by the burdensome Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), forcing them to send even more of their hard- earned money to Washington. I strongly believe that the AMT must be repealed and that taxpayers deserve a choice in filing their taxes. H.R. 3818 would give taxpayers the option of paying either higher tax rates with more deductions or lower tax rates with no special deductions empowering taxpayers to choose an option that best fits their families’ needs.

"I will continue to work in Congress to see that families in Minnesota and all across the nation get help to make ends meet. This Republican Economic Agenda is just one step stone to helping the struggling middle-class get back on their feet."

The Taxpayer Choice Act (H.R. 3818), has three points:

1) Immediately, fully, and permanently repeal the current AMT;

2) Make permanent the current capital gains and dividends tax rates; and

3) Create a voluntary Simplified Tax that would give individuals the option of paying  under a highly simplified income tax system or under the regular income tax as it is structured now.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »

Quick thoughts on Bachmann's proposals:

1.  I think the AMT is unlikely to be repealed.  It would cause a revenue shortfall which would require raising tax rates on everyone else to compensate.  There's a reason everyone on both sides of the aisle admits the AMT is a crappy system, but they can never muster votes to repeal it.  It will probably just be inflation-adjusted so it traps less of the middle class.  Likely to be a popular proposal, though, and will allow Republican's to blame Democrats when it's voted down.

2. This would be a great idea.  Double taxation is a relic of a bygone era, is basically unfair, and lower tax rates stimulate the economy.  The proposal's a political loser, though.  Democrats will intone the magic phrase "tax cuts for the rich" and its DOA.

3.  An interesting idea with uncertain consequences.  I would imagine something like the following would happen if its instituted:

a. The rich, with access to accountants and financial planners, opt to fill out the longer forms to save money.  The poor who don't want to hire an accountant to do their taxes use the simple form, missing out on money-saving deductions.  Net effect is the poor end up paying proportionately more taxes.

b. Congress takes the ability to "opt-out" as license to micromanage the existing tax code even more, adding more requirements to get generally useful deductions and more porkbarrel deductions for special interests. 

I suppose it could work, depending on how it's structured, but the effect on revenue of such a dramatic change would be uncertain.  Could be popular with voters, though, as it sounds good on its face and many people probably prefer simplicity to to getting a few more marginal deductions.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:55:35 PM »

they passed something today about the AMT.  It wasn't this but probably readjusted the AMT and added some democrat  piffle about oil copmanies and the top 2 percent.

I think the simplified tax form would be difficult for even some of the very rich to resist, and it would be harder for them to cheat if there are fewer people using the form with all the deductions.  personally, i find the entirety of the income tax a violation of ones right to privacy.  Why should i justify expenditures to someone other than myself?   to me a widescreen tv is a business expense because I relax in front of it after i work!

"revenue shortfall"

I saw this same senator bachman on cnbc this morning with charlie rangel.  she had the radical idea of spending less, which rangle couldn't fathom
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:18:48 PM »

they passed something today about the AMT.  It wasn't this but probably readjusted the AMT and added some democrat  piffle about oil copmanies and the top 2 percent.

I'm sure it was a slight readjustment even though I haven't seen the legislation.  These things constantly have to be readjusted.  If it were a vote for repeal it would be all over the news.

I think the simplified tax form would be difficult for even some of the very rich to resist, and it would be harder for them to cheat if there are fewer people using the form with all the deductions. 

Not at all hard to resist if your accountant says he can save you, say, $5,000 in taxes for a $1000 fee.   You may have a point about it being easier to police, though.

personally, i find the entirety of the income tax a violation of ones right to privacy.  Why should i justify expenditures to someone other than myself?   to me a widescreen tv is a business expense because I relax in front of it after i work!

Well, you have the right to take a standard deduction if you don't want your private expenditures to be known.  I've never itemized just because its such a pain.

Your income is public information (for the limited purpose of assessing tax) by definition.

"revenue shortfall"

I saw this same senator bachman on cnbc this morning with charlie rangel.  she had the radical idea of spending less, which rangle couldn't fathom

Spending less would be great.  But I understand why Rangle couldn't fathom it.  Very little in the nation's recent history suggests Congress (elected by We the People) can restrain itself.  There was a balanced budget for a brief period in the 90s, so its possible in the short term at least, as long as we're temporarily prosperous and there aren't wars or other huge pressing issues to fund.

I give Bachmann style points for creativity in the choice of tax regimes plank, though.  I guess it couldn't be much worse than the current one size fits all approach.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Taxpayer's Choice Act « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.